2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

The Ducks goalie circus the other night makes me doubt their playoff chances. They have some talent but I think they're just also rans at this point, the other teams in the hunt want it a lot more.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to comment on the Vancouver side of things, but in regard to the final two Flames games against Edmonton to round out the season... if the Oilers aren't playing for a playoff spot, I can almost guarantee at least 3 points, probably 4, for Calgary out of those games.

Watching tonight... Roloson looks legitimately burnt out. He's been carrying the Oilers on his back, and the load is just too heavy. If Calgary gets the puck to the net, they will score enough to win those games.

A key point I see for the Flames, is the two disallowed Power Play goals from the other night. Both of which should have been goals, but weren't. The team could very easily have folded right there and got frustrated, but instead, they used it as motivation and played harder. They were doing the right things and not getting rewarded, but they kept up, and things finally went for them. They faced adversity, and overcame it.

We've been on a slide of late, which allowed Vancouver to creep up on us, but I'm looking at this team right now, and they look ready. I am very comfortable with what we have going right now, but tomorrow night is a very important game.

Go-home RAW before Wrestlemania, or Flames Vs San Jose on Sportsnet? Like it's even a choice. I'm very excited for this game.

I read an article (granted, it was about Jason LaBarberra, so it was by someone following the Canucks most likely) that brought up how Kiprusoff tends to wear down. I'd be a lot more worried about him than Roloson, given that 1. he's played a lot more and 2. Roloson has a better backup. I don't think the Oilers will be eliminated by then, since I predicted 4 teams from the Northwest would make the playoffs (this was before I knew the Avalanche were going to tank this year), and the Oilers would be the third, since I doubt the Wild make it. I really doubt the Central can send five teams to the playoffs, which is the situation now. I think one of them will fall off, the Blues would be my most likely pick, giving room to the Oilers to make it in eighth. Even if they lose, I still think they'll be in contention when they play Calgary.

Honestly, I've watched him since he got here, and I don't think Kiprusoff really wears down at all. I think his problem is the slow start he gets off to every year, and then that the team defense isn't where it needs to be come post-season. He comes up big for us way too often down the stretch, and we rely on so much, that by the time the playoffs roll around, we end up leaving him high and dry half a dozen times a game at least... and only one or two of those has to go in to cost us the game.

I think that the late season faltering and the resurgence of our defensive responsibility is going to help Kipper enormously for the post-season.

All that aside, I would really like for us to have a legitimate back up next year. I like McElhinney, but he needs to play to develop, and we can't afford to throw someone as green as him into an NHL atmosphere for 20 games a year.

It's time for the Finals in our fantasy league! It's my Sucky Team against Gab's Rippers!

I made it!

I'd like to thank the academy, but first and foremost, my thanks go out to the Calgary Flames, without whom none of this would have been possible. Half my roster is from the team, and I just want to give some props to the right people. Also, Tim Thomas and Chris Mason, you've been great. Nick Lidstrom, as always, you're the wind beneath someone's wings, and this season, they were my wings.

Man... I hate the people who comment at TSN.

Did any of them actually WATCH the Sharks/Flames tonight? Calgary did everything right tonight. In a seven game series, playing like that, it's going to go at least six. Everyone at TSN is screaming about how the Flames were awful tonight. Really?

Sometimes, you win games you deserved to lose, and sometimes, you lose games you deserved to win. Them's just the breaks sometimes.

I liked what I saw from the team, especially with Bertuzzi playing with Iginla and Jokinen. Their forecheck and cycle as a trio was just ridiculous.

We lost, and that sucks, but I have no complaints about the way the team played.

Tomorrow night, Minnesota Vs Vancouver. Let's go Wild.

Tomorrow night, Minnesota Vs Vancouver. Let's go Wild.
I'll go wild on YOUR FACE.

Minnesota's a very dangerous team right now. They can see the finish line, but they absolutely have to be on the ball, and they cannot falter... otherwise they will find themselves on the outside looking in. With the veterans they have, and the youngsters hungry for the post-season, I wouldn't want to play them right now.

Unfortunately, Calgary will have to play them once more... but hopefully by then, either the Canucks will have fallen a bit, or Minnesota will be completely out of hope.

I don't think the Wild will make the playoffs. They're like Nashville but with less plucky offense. I do think they're going to play spoiler, though whether it's for you guys or for us remains to be seen.

I'd say Chris Hanson is the prototypical Brian Burke player. Big, strong, not afraid to fight, a bit of a power forward type player.

Should make a good third or fourth line type guy.

Edited by Drifter_2000

I expect Gaborik will be willing to sign for less on a team that's competitive. I'm sure he's smart enough to understand the cap issues most teams have, and how badly it will drop in the next year or so.

So that leaves the question: what competitive team has the space to fit him in for big money, if that's actually what he demanded, and a GM was willing to pay?

Colorado

Florida

Vancouver

If he's not willing to take a pretty large paycut, Gaborik will end up in one of those three places.

Colorado is going to go out and overpay for someone this summer. They're in desperation mode, trying to find a quick fix.

Florida is going to lose Bouwmeester, and might try to replace him with a dangerous offensive threat.

Pavol Demitra wants Gaborik in Vancouver, and if the Sedin's don't come back, Gillis will be under pressure to make a splash with a free agent signing.

If Gaborik's willing to take less money though, I could see him fitting nicely on a handful of other teams, all of whom are competitive.

Colorado

Florida

Vancouver

Would Gaborik really want to sign with Colorado or Florida, though? Why leave a less than competitive team for another one? With the way Colorado have played this year I suspect they'll blow the thing up and rebuild. Florida will be lucky to even make the playoffs this year, let alone next.

Vancouver is a good one though. I could easily see them going after him, especially if they don't give the Sedins extensions. Sundin and Gaborik together would be a lethal combination.

FLORIDA WILL MAKE IT :angry:

^_^ I wouldn't complain if they did. Especially if it meant they knock the Habs out of the post season...

...then I'd go down and Florida and kiss every one of their players on the lips. :wub:

Edited by Drifter_2000

Colorado

Florida

Vancouver

Would Gaborik really want to sign with Colorado or Florida, though? Why leave a less than competitive team for another one? With the way Colorado have played this year I suspect they'll blow the thing up and rebuild. Florida will be lucky to even make the playoffs this year, let alone next.

Vancouver is a good one though. I could easily see them going after him, especially if they don't give the Sedins extensions. Sundin and Gaborik together would be a lethal combination.

For the first two places, it's not an issue of whether or not he wants to play there. I picked those two teams based on the assumption that he wants big money. If he wants big money, he's probably going to have to go somewhere less than stellar.

The only competitive team that could fit him in without him taking a pay cut, is Vancouver, and that's assuming that they lose a few of the higher priced free agents, and don't fancy some healthier, more consistent players over Gaborik.

EDIT: Sundin's a free agent at season's end. I'm not so sure I see him re-signing with the team, even if he does decide to play next year.

Edited by Gabriel