2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still confident, Gabe?

I'm not going to bail on my team. I think they have what it takes, and a few losses isn't going to change that.

They've been doing a lot of good things lately that have just gone un-rewarded. Shit happens, but if they keep it up, they'll come out of this stronger than before.

I'm not saying it's not possible that they don't just succumb to the pressure... but I believe in them, and I believe they are very capable of just murdering everyone in their path.

I think your main problem will be us and Edmonton. No matter whether they're in contention or not, jobs are on the line if the Oilers drop two games to the Flames. I see those three as your three toughest games, after already dropping the game to San Jose.

I think your main problem will be us and Edmonton. No matter whether they're in contention or not, jobs are on the line if the Oilers drop two games to the Flames. I see those three as your three toughest games, after already dropping the game to San Jose.

They won't be a cakewalk, that's for sure. I expect violent, good old time hockey from those three games. Lots of digging in the corners, lots of skirmishes, and a whole lot of pain.

If we lose to Dallas on Thursday night though, I might cry. I don't care how many bounces don't go your way... a team as talented as the Flames, who've been working as hard as the Flames, should not lose to this Dallas Stars team. Not once in a hundred tries...not ever.

The San Jose game was disappointing, but only because they did everything right, and still wound up on the losing end... but those things happen sometimes when you're playing great teams. When you're playing an okay team who's not so hot right now, you should be able to lay waste to them and leave them broken in your fury.

Sean's all cute when something nudges the cockles of his heart and creates semblance of emotion.
...did you just hit on me?

For the first two places, it's not an issue of whether or not he wants to play there. I picked those two teams based on the assumption that he wants big money. If he wants big money, he's probably going to have to go somewhere less than stellar.

The only competitive team that could fit him in without him taking a pay cut, is Vancouver, and that's assuming that they lose a few of the higher priced free agents, and don't fancy some healthier, more consistent players over Gaborik.

EDIT: Sundin's a free agent at season's end. I'm not so sure I see him re-signing with the team, even if he does decide to play next year.

I thought Sundin's contract ran through next season too. Oh well...may he rot in hell. :P (Kidding, of course).

What does Atlanta's cap situation look like? It seems as though Kovalchuk will be staying when his deal comes up next year, could Atlanta possibly slide Gaborik in? Considering his health issues, you'd think that the Eastern Conference's travel and style would be a better fit for him.

Kovalchuk and Gaborik on the same line, with someone good making plays in the middle, would be quite the thing to see.

EDIT: Supposedly highly touted NCAA free agent center man Tyler Bozak is very close to making the decision on where he'll sign in the NHL. He's got his short list of teams, which includes the six Canadian teams, Colorado, and San Jose.

I've also heard he's received phone calls from Luke Schenn and Jarome Iginla, just to chit with him about his future in the NHL. I'm praying to God that Burke can land this kid. He seems to have a pretty good upside, although I'm feeling he'll sign on with the Avs.

Edited by Drifter_2000

The National Hockey League has disciplined the Toronto Maple Leafs for their handling of defenceman Jonas Frogren's contract last summer.

Sources say the Leafs have been fined $500,000 for paying Frogren a $755,000 signing bonus which violated the CBA. The Maple Leafs will also have to pay an additional penalty in the form of a draft pick.

It's believed Frogren used a portion of the signing bonus, $400,000 to get out of the final year of his contract with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League.

NHL deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, confirmed the sanctions to TSN.

"We can confirm that the Toronto Maple Leafs have been sanctioned by the league for violations of league rules in connection with the club's 2008 signing of Jonas Frogren, and that one aspect of the league-imposed discipline requires the forfeiture of the club's fourth round draft pick in the 2009 Entry Draft (previously acquired from Tampa Bay). We have no further comment on the matter."

Frogren signed a two-year contract with the Leafs last July and this decision by the NHL will not impact his contractual status with the team.

Fletcher...you fucking dunce! :angry:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this is just a thinly veiled excuse to take back that pick we bought. The GMs bitched and complained so the NHL did what they could do "right the wrong."

Edited by Drifter_2000

The University of Denver center Tyler Bozak, who was wanted by as many as 20 NHL teams, has signed with the Maple Leafs. He has 8 goals and 15 assists in 19 games this seasons. According to TSN, it is believed that he will be able to be an NHL player with little or no minor league seasoning.