2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

I can't wait for Thursday... If the Habs find a way to steal game 1 I think they'll have a good shot at taking down the Bruins. I really believe that someone should run Thomas early in game 1, he's as emotional as Be and when he gets that way he plays as poorly as Be argues.

As long as the Bruins shoot for Price's glove hand, they'll be alright. :shifty:

EDIT: Interesting article...

THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- The Maple Leafs are going to aggressively pursue a top NHL entry draft spot, perhaps even the No. 1 position, says GM Brian Burke.

Going into the draft lottery Tuesday night, Toronto was seventh in the selection order and could move up a maximum of four spots if it wins the weighted draw.

Burke intends to be wheeling and dealing before the top teen talent is dispersed in Montreal with an eye on landing highly touted forward John Tavares.

"We'll immediately attempt to move up," Burke said during a news conference Tuesday morning. "We're going to talk to everyone between us and the first pick and see what the landscape is.

"We're going to see what it costs and we're going to try and move up."

Anybody on his roster, with the exception of standout rookie defenceman Luke Schenn, might go in a package that would be required to get a higher position.

"No player is untradeable," said Burke. "Wayne Gretzky got traded."

Burke has a history of draft coups, most notably the ones that landed him Chris Pronger when he managed the Hartford Whalers and maneuverings that procured the services of the Sedin twins for the Vancouver Canucks. So, teams will be ready for his spiel this time.

"I don't think we're going to sneak up on anyone," he said. "They've seen that movie."

He wouldn't necessarily need the No. 1 spot to draft Tavares, he said.

"I'm not confident every team has John Tavares as No. 1," said Burke.

Edited by Drifter_2000

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the draft lottery played out pretty well how everyone expected. Islanders, Lightning, Avalanche, Thrashers, and Kings in that order. The typical offenders are all here...you'd think some of these teams would eventually get good enough to stop being in the top five every year. Or maybe I'm just jealous <_<

Toronto locks down Viktor Stalberg finally. Everyone was expecting him to stick around while his brother came to University, but he decided to sign on with us. Big guy who can skate...good prospect from what I can tell.

Also, Canada beat Sweden 4-2 in the IIHF U18 WC game today. Really great game, tight right down to the end. John McFarland is going to be a player to watch in the draft next year. The guy has some real skill from what I saw during the game.

Edited by Drifter_2000

The Kings are close to competing. They need a goaltender and then they should be okay. Bernier needs to develop for them. Ersberg and Quick have shown flashes, but I think Bernier will become the #1 there.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
So the draft lottery played out pretty well how everyone expected. Islanders, Lightning, Avalanche, Thrashers, and Kings in that order. The typical offenders are all here...you'd think some of these teams would eventually get good enough to stop being in the top five every year. Or maybe I'm just jealous <_<

Four of those five had top five picks last year, but in 2007 it was only the Kings, and every team with a top five pick in 2006 is in the playoffs this year. None of this year's top five wre top five in 2005 either. :/

The Islanders are trash, and the Thrashers are pretty crap too, but Tampa went to the Cup final not that long ago and Colorado would have contended for the division lead if not for their injuries. Los Angeles too.

I know Burke is going to be extremely aggressive, trying to move up and/or load up on early picks... but how bad does he really want it? I know he's said that he'll move roster players, and that no one is safe, but if I'm Garth Snow, the price for the number one pick is: a goalie, a top pairing defenseman, a young sniper, and Toronto taking Rick DiPietro.

The best thing the Islanders could possibly do at this juncture is get rid of DiPietro. If they even consider moving the number one pick, that is an absolute must have in any potential deal.

Moving DiPietro affords them the opportunity to sign a steadier netminder, though one who probably isn't as good as DiPietro is when he's healthy. It also opens things up a bit more for them to be more aggressive on the free agent market. Not that anyone in their right mind wants to go to Long Island.

Also, I liked Ron Hextall's answer about whether or not they would trade the 5th pick. No, probably not. The Los Angeles Kings are doing it right. Drafting smart, bringing players up through their own system and teaching them how to play the LA way, and developing a real chemistry in the locker room.

If someone wants to move up, and offers a roster player they can use as well as a pick not too far away, then I say go for it. They'll probably be able to get someone they want anyways.

Sean: We would not have competed that well - Budaj is cut out to be no better than a 1A, and Raycroft needs a year or two more's recovery away from the black hole of goaltending to return to being capable.

I know Burke is going to be extremely aggressive, trying to move up and/or load up on early picks... but how bad does he really want it? I know he's said that he'll move roster players, and that no one is safe, but if I'm Garth Snow, the price for the number one pick is: a goalie, a top pairing defenseman, a young sniper, and Toronto taking Rick DiPietro.

I highly doubt the Islanders are going to be trading away their pick. Tavares can be more than just a good player for them, he can be a face for the franchise and help turn fans to them. I just can't see Garth Snow giving up the talent and marketability of a player like Tavares for anything. Maybe I'm wrong though.

If it were me, I'd pick Hedman anyways. Not that Tavares isn't incredibly talented, but it's not often you get a defenseman with Hedman's talent and projected ceiling.

Also, everyone who mentioned it was right about the top five in the draft. It just feels like Tampa Bay are in there every year, even after just winning the Cup not too long ago. LA have more pound for pound talent than the Leafs do, and their goaltending was better than our's, yet they managed to finish with less points. Although part of that likely has to do with the Conference they play in.

Colorado, and the Islanders I can understand. Even Atlanta...but how the fuck can Atlanta continue to suck this many years after coming into the league? Surely to God they'd EVENTUALLY start to get a little better, and stay that way?

It certainly wasn't the least, we allowed the equal most goals in the conference, and were still top 5 in the league.

I'm not saying the goaltending was perfect, but if you have the offensive talent the Avs have, conceding 2 or fewer goals shouldn't be a problem. There were far too many 1-0 losses, and I think three instances where we gave goalies shutouts in their first career starts.

It certainly wasn't the least, we allowed the equal most goals in the conference, and were still top 5 in the league.

I'm not saying the goaltending was perfect, but if you have the offensive talent the Avs have, conceding 2 or fewer goals shouldn't be a problem. There were far too many 1-0 losses, and I think three instances where we gave goalies shutouts in their first career starts.

Injuries aside, the Avalanche had the talent to do something this season... but for whatever reason, nothing clicked for them. It's just a case of "holy shit, what happened?" They'll bounce back next season. Make some changes in the off-season here and be back to normal next year.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I heard Darren Pang saying that Theo wouldn't be a problem because the Rangers aren't an offensive team. Never occurred to him that maybe they'd show some offense if they were facing a horrible goalie.