2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simeon Varlamov plays fifty times better than Theodore, but King Henry shuts the fucking door on the Capitals. WOW...I'm fucking speechless here. Lundqvist could very well steal this series for the Rangers all by himself.

Rangers up in the series 2-0.

EDIT: Seems as though Brad May has found a job hosting on TSN. :o

Edited by Drifter_2000

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That's not :o-worthy, they always use players and coaches as guest analysts for the playoffs. It's how Barnaby and Ferraro got started, I believe. Along with others who weren't so good.

That's not :o-worthy, they always use players and coaches as guest analysts for the playoffs. It's how Barnaby and Ferraro got started, I believe. Along with others who weren't so good.

Everything Brad May related is :o-worthy!

MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!

:shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

That was the introduction he got.

"James Duthie, along with Bob McKenzie, Ray Ferraro, and although it's technically April 18th, we consider it--"

(reaches down, pushes button)

"MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!"

LOL! Really? That's awesome...

Wish I had caught that from the beginning. I just happened to flip TSN on (why the fuck didn't I pay the money and get this station all year? I'm a fucking retard) and saw him talking about the Capitals and Rangers.

This is where I let out a hefty sigh. Both games so far, we've dominated early, looked like we were in a good spot and then... let up. Both times, we paid for it. 21 hits in the first period, and the Hawks look like they're nowhere near ready for this. 5 hits in the second period, and they've taken the lead. Coincidence? Not at all.

The first two games have been a lot of fun to watch. High tempo, hard hitting and just plain awesome. The one thing I can definitely take away from this, is that if Chicago moves to the second round, we made them earn it.

This is where I let out a hefty sigh. Both games so far, we've dominated early, looked like we were in a good spot and then... let up.

Gabe I've gotta ask...what's the problem with Jokinen all of a sudden? The guy comes in and everything falls right into place. He's banging goals in left and right...and then suddenly it all just goes blank.

I don't watch many Flames games, so I'm just curious. Why has he suddenly become a non factor?

Alright, that makes sense. I think Antropov is their only free agent this year. Staal comes up next year, so they're going to be in trouble when it comes time to give him another contract. They're really going to be hurting if the cap takes a dive the year after next.

Antropov, Morris, Zherdev, and Mara are going to be free agrents, right? I'm not really sure, but i feel pretty confident about it.

This is where I let out a hefty sigh. Both games so far, we've dominated early, looked like we were in a good spot and then... let up.

Gabe I've gotta ask...what's the problem with Jokinen all of a sudden? The guy comes in and everything falls right into place. He's banging goals in left and right...and then suddenly it all just goes blank.

I don't watch many Flames games, so I'm just curious. Why has he suddenly become a non factor?

It's been a matter of Olli coming in and playing with Iginla right away, which put him into a comfort zone. In Florida, Jokinen was the number one guy, and everyone leaned on him. He didn't thrive in Phoenix because it was Shane Doan's team and he didn't transition well into what his role was there... so he gets a fresh start in Calgary, and he's re-invigorated, playing with Iginla... but seeing that he isn't the top dog here, he leaned far too much on Iggy, and became far too comfortable playing with him. His forecheck suffered for it, and he just hasn't had the energy that he did in the first 4 games he played with us.

Alright, that makes sense. I think Antropov is their only free agent this year. Staal comes up next year, so they're going to be in trouble when it comes time to give him another contract. They're really going to be hurting if the cap takes a dive the year after next.

Antropov, Morris, Zherdev, and Mara are going to be free agrents, right? I'm not really sure, but i feel pretty confident about it.

You may very well be right. I'm not entirely sure what the free agent situation is for the Rangers off the top of my head. I only know of Antropov this year, with Staal and (I believe) Naslund next year. You're probably right about Morris, Zherdev, and Mara. If that's the case then things don't look quite so bleak for the Rangers as far as cap goes.

It's been a matter of Olli coming in and playing with Iginla right away, which put him into a comfort zone. In Florida, Jokinen was the number one guy, and everyone leaned on him. He didn't thrive in Phoenix because it was Shane Doan's team and he didn't transition well into what his role was there... so he gets a fresh start in Calgary, and he's re-invigorated, playing with Iginla... but seeing that he isn't the top dog here, he leaned far too much on Iggy, and became far too comfortable playing with him. His forecheck suffered for it, and he just hasn't had the energy that he did in the first 4 games he played with us.

Seems like a reasonable enough explanation. Just seemed odd that he comes in on fire and then completely fizzles out, and really hasn't found that spark since then.

On a side note I'm pretty excited about watching the World Championships this year. Especially with this Gustavsson character playing for Team Sweden. If he's as good as I'm hearing he'll be the biggest signing for us this year. Assuming Burke can get him.

Edited by Drifter_2000

I'm double posting, but I don't give a fuck. :shifty: Amusing story floating around regarding the Leafs getting the Islander's number one pick...

According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, it seems that Islander GM Garth Snow has turned on the tables on Brian Burke. Apparently, “the Islanders would be willing to deal, all right . . . willing to deal for Toronto’s seventh-overall selection, that is.” Quite the interesting twist.

Sensing Burke’s “reluctance” to select at 7th overall, our buddy Garth Snow is offering to take that pick off Toronto’s hands in exchange for a package of draft picks in the first two rounds. As it stands, the Islanders are holding a wealth of early draft picks in the upcoming NHL Draft, including their own 1st overall selection, San Jose’s 1st round pick (26th-30th overall, acquired from Ottawa via the Campoli trade), their own 2nd round pick (31st overall), Toronto’s 2nd round pick (37th overall, acquired via the Luke Schenn trade), and Boston’s 2nd round pick (60th overall).

Supposedly, the counter-offer would include Toronto’s 7th overall pick going to the Islanders for San Jose’s 1st round pick, New York’s 2nd round pick, and Boston’s 2nd round pick. So basically, you’re getting a pick in the early 30’s and a pick in the early 60’s to move down from 7th overall to 26th-30th overall. If true, Snow must have a very short memory because he established the same price on Cliff Fletcher to move up TWO spots, never mind 20 spots at last year’s draft.

In a draft class that’s more top heavy than deep, quality not quantity is the name of the game, and Burke of all people knows this, having already outlined his desire to move up. That said, he hasn’t altogether ruled out the notion of trading down, but it would take a heckuva lot more than this. Most likely, this “rumor” is either someone’s imagination running a little wild, or Snow’s way of getting a jab back at Burke for being so open about his motives.

Rumors are going to be running rampant from now right up until the moment Burke walks up to the podium on draft day. Until then, take everything with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Drifter_2000

I can't believe so many people were counting Anaheim out in this series against San Jose. The Sharks just don't have a Playoff-Ready hockey club. Ron Wilson wasn't the issue in San Jose, and I'm glad Patrick Marleau managed to have a better season without him, but so what? The team that's been built just isn't going to win a Stanley Cup, no matter how well they do in the regular season. That's just a fact. Joe Thornton will not lead a team to a Stanely Cup in his career. He may win one eventually, but he won't be one of the leaders of the group. Guaranteed.

Philly and Pittsburgh looks like it's heating up. The rest of the series has the potential to just be barnburning awesome.

Brent Sutter has done a tremendous job with the New Jersey Devils, getting them to bounce back from a less than stellar end of the season, to all but dominate the Carolina Hurricanes, who were looking like a pretty good bet to make some noise.

No Markov, no Schneider, no Bouillon, no Tanguay and. no Lang... I wasn't expecting the Habs to win and they'll likely get swept Wednesday on account of missing their top dfensive pairing and our best set up man... To be honest I'm proud of the way the Habs played tonight. With a bunch of scrubs on d and a few scrubs up front they were a team decimated by injury, but they took Boston, the best team in the east and pushed then to the wall tonight. This effort makes up for game 2. With half a team we scared the shit out of Boston for two periods. If Bob can keep the core of this team intact we're gonna have a great year next season. It was an excellent hockey game and I hope however many games are left in this series are as emotional and exciting to watch.

Monster efforts from Koivu, Kovalev, Lapierre, O'Byrne and Price, who played like a number one guy.

On the other side hats off to Kessel, Bergeron and Chara.

Montreal failed on the powerplay tonight mostly due to the fact that Markov and Schneider were absent leaving Weber who's played like 4 NHL games to be our point presence.

Weber and Stewart will both be great for us next year it looks like...

I still feel like Toronto owes us some sort of repairations for seriously crippling us going into the playoffs haha.

So barring the miracle return of half our lineup and a total meltdown from Boston, it should be over within 3 days.

It's funny, everyone said If Montreal stays healthy this year they'll go far, our health was stressed constantly in the ore season, and of course that's exactly what happened... In our centennial year no less. It was still a fun year and while were out earlier than we obviously were willing to accept, I think Montreal was able to do something good, all season and especially today and tonight all anyone could ever talk about was the Habs, their last game, the injuries, Prices amazing start and stunning fall, but every game form3 hours therenwas almost a tangeable feeling in the air around the city as it almost felt like the collectiv heart of the city beat in unison for the bleu blanc et rouge.

Go Chicago.

No Markov, no Schneider, no Bouillon, no Tanguay and. no Lang... I wasn't expecting the Habs to win and they'll likely get swept Wednesday on account of missing their top dfensive pairing and our best set up man... To be honest I'm proud of the way the Habs played tonight. With a bunch of scrubs on d and a few scrubs up front they were a team decimated by injury, but they took Boston, the best team in the east and pushed then to the wall tonight. This effort makes up for game 2. With half a team we scared the shit out of Boston for two periods. If Bob can keep the core of this team intact we're gonna have a great year next season. It was an excellent hockey game and I hope however many games are left in this series are as emotional and exciting to watch.

Monster efforts from Koivu, Kovalev, Lapierre, O'Byrne and Price, who played like a number one guy.

Montreal failed on the powerplay tonight mostly due to the fact that Markov and Schneider were absent leaving Weber who's played like 4 NHL games to be our point presence.

I still feel like Toronto owes us some sort of repairations for seriously crippling us going into the playoffs haha.

So barring the miracle return of half our lineup and a total meltdown from Boston, it should be over within 3 days.

It's funny, everyone said If Montreal stays healthy this year they'll go far, our health was stressed constantly in the ore season, and of course that's exactly what happened... In our centennial year no less. It was still a fun year and while were out earlier than we obviously were willing to accept, I think Montreal was able to do something good, all season and especially today and tonight all anyone could ever talk about was the Habs, their last game, the injuries, Prices amazing start and stunning fall, but every game form3 hours therenwas almost a tangeable feeling in the air around the city as it almost felt like the collectiv heart of the city beat in unison for the bleu blanc et rouge.

Go Chicago.

Go Chicago.