R.I.P. Richard William Wright (July 28, 1943 - September 15, 2008)

TeemuFoundation

Richard William Wright (July 28, 1943 - September 15, 2008) was a self-taught pianist and keyboardist best known for his long career with Pink Floyd. Though not as prolific a songwriter as his bandmates Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and David Gilmour, he did write significant parts of the music for classic albums such as Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, as well as for Pink Floyd's final studio album The Division Bell. Wright’s richly textured keyboard layers have been a vital ingredient and a distinctive characteristic of Pink Floyd's sound. In addition, Wright frequently sang background and occasionally lead vocals onstage and in the studio with Pink Floyd (most notably on the songs "Time," "Echoes," and on the Syd Barrett composition "Astronomy Domine"). Wright died on 15 September, 2008, following a short battle with cancer.

This saddens me. A lot. Pink Floyd, to me, is one of the greatest things ever in the history of mankind and this was the final nail in the coffin on ever hoping to see them play live again. 65 is a young age to go, but then again the Floyd guys didn't have the healthiest lifestyles back in the 70s, so he was lucky to live up to be 65. I guess. Anyways, may he rest in peace.

np. Shine On You Crazy Diamond.