Virgin Daughters

Skummy

Mental fathers essentially indoctrinating their children from the age of around five into abstinence until marriage, in a manner I really don't understand; the father assumes a self-righteous sense of morality with the assumption that the daughter will contrast all future suitors against him and only go out with someone essentially the same...there's kind of an implicit undercurrent of abuse (or maybe it's just me seeing that), and it's just this horrifying mollycoddling brainwashing bullshit and it genuinely does unsettle me...I know that's kind of the angle they're going for with this programme, but yikes.

FATHER-DAUGHTER PURITY BALL. The man clearly touches kids.

Edited by Skum Ra

That Purity Ball was the part I found most unsettling, you had these fathers warning their children off of the slightest contact with a man, then getting dressed up and taking them to a ball in the role that would traditioning be filled by a boyfriend. On top of that you had the whole "you must find a man who is like your father". Creepy.

The girls being manipulated by the fathers I get, or rather isn't entirely unheard of for me. However that interview with the 21 year old son left me unable to question the TV screen. Surely he doesn't believe any of that? I kept waiting for him to break down and admit he thinks it's crap, yet he never did. Not even kissing a girl until he's married? I really don't see what that achieves in anyone's mind. He's basically ruined any hope of meeting a girl who hasn't been brainwashed to the same extent he has, and any chances of wowing on the wedding night judging by his huge anxiety over even talking about kissing a girl.

Surely these people experience the same rush of hormones etc that we all do at that age? How can he supress what is basically his human nature to that extent? Why is sex automtically linked to being a whore - is there no middle ground?

This is why I don't watch docs like these too often, there are always more questions than answers.