EliteXC on CBS Live Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So for those of you just tuning in (to EWB, the televised show starts at 9 PM EST), the main event was supposed to be Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock.

Shamrock got cut in training, and because of the cut, the Florida commission doctor doesn't want to allow him to fight. Frank Shamrock offered to take Ken's spot, but as he hadn't been training, the commission nixed that as well. Undercard fighter Seth Petruzelli's another possiblity, but Kimbo's people haven't agreed to that. There's huge pressure on the commission from all sides to let Ken fight.

In the meantime, we've got a Gina Carano fight, Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley for the Welterweight title, and Murilo Ninja Rua on the televised undercard, so it's going to be a great show no matter what happens with the main event.

This thread can be used for ongoing discussion (anything in the News thread should go in spoilers).

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm pretty sure this should go in this thread.

Meltz is now saying this:

As of 7 p.m. Eastern time it looks like Shamrock has been cleared and the main event is back on. If anything changes,we will post a new update.

Here's a question, can anyone think of a time when a main event was in jeopardy like this 2 hours before the show started?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I can't. There may have been something in the early days of UFC, but in the past five years or so, there's certainly been nothing like this on a show anywhere near this big.

Also, for no particular reason, my predictions for the televised fights:

Ninja Rua over Benji Radach (3rd round TKO)

Gina Carano over Kelly Kobald (Decision)

Andrei Arlovski over Roy Nelson (1st round KO)

Jake Shields over Paul Daley (Decision)

Kimbo Slice over Ken Shamrock (1st round KO)

Of course, if Kimbo fights just about anybody else, I change my pick.

From mmajunkie.com

NOTE: The night's scheduled main event between Ken Shamrock and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson has been scratched due to an injury suffered by Shamrock, according to EliteXC officials. Currently, no official announcement has been made regarding a potential replacement fighter or replacement fight.

Damn. I was really looking forward to this, too. Well, for Elite's sake, I hope there's some opponent for Kimbo that's halfway-decent. Otherwise...it's done, Gus.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
I'm starting to feel like this is a publicity stunt.

For who? The only people following this would be watching the show anyhow.

Meltzer's latest word is that it's Ken Shamrock if he gets cleared, then Seth Petruzelli if Kimbo's people agree, then Frank Shamrock if he gets cleared. No Plan D yet.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

As mediocre as Petruzelli is, I think he could beat Kimbo. But I think the same of Frank, and then people would be all "lol you lost to an announcer".

Actually, maybe they could use Mauro Ranallo. <_<

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Again, we're not going to know anything for sure until 10:40 or whenever they start the match. Apparently nothing's been said to the fans in attendance, which is kind of funny.

OK, sorry for making another post about it, but here's the latest from Meltz's play-by-play:

Nobody in the arena knows anything is wrong. Nothing has been announced. Apparently Slice's camp has agreed to the Petruzelli match and it's on. Nothing has been said officially though.

From the looks of things right now, it's Kimbo vs. Seth Petruzelli, but I don't know why Kimbo wouldn't agree to it. I mean, if he faces Frank, he is going to get MURDERED. I could at least see him beating the Pretzel.