EWB Sports Hall of Fame - Ballot 2

sahyder1

EWB Sports Hall of Fame  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the original inductees would you vote for?

• Michael Jordan
    • Muhammad Ali
    • Wayne Gretzky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Thorpe definitely hasn't been retired 3 years.

Can anyone else verify this? Only info I found is that he qualified for the commonwealth games in Feb. 2006 but did not compete after that. I'll check again once I am more awake but if someone else finds something let me know. Thetruth, did you really just vote Jordan?

Edited by sahyder1

Ian Thorpe definitely hasn't been retired 3 years.

Can anyone else verify this? Only info I found is that he qualified for the commonwealth games in Feb. 2006 but did not compete after that. I'll check again once I am more awake but if someone else finds something let me know. Thetruth, did you really just vote Jordan?

", and he announced his retirement in November 2006, citing waning motivation.[8]"

Wikipedia. But by the looks of it he didn't really do anything for about a year so I'd allow it.

1. Sir Steve Redgrave

2. Pele

3. Bjorn Borg

4. Miguel Indurain

5. Johan Cruyff

If he literally hadn't returned this year then I'd probably have put Lance Armstrong in.

Also, Schumacher to go in next year. :)

1. Aleksander Karelin ( One of the best Greco-Roman wrestlers ever. 9x World HWT Greco-Roman Wrestling Champion, 3 Olympic Gold Medals and a Silver medal. Undefeated in International Wrestling from 1987-200)

2. Rocky Marciano ( Only undefeated, undisputed HW champion in Boxing)

3. Patrick Roy (One of the best Goalies ever)

4. Nolan Ryan(One of the best Pitchers to ever live)

5. George Herman Ruth (Babe Ruth) (One of the best Baseball players ever, a trailblazer.)

That's the guy that lost to Rulon Gardner right?

.....13 voters so far on this 2nd ballot and we have 11 different guys who have received first place votes. The race is wide open as far as who the 3 end up being.

Yes. Karelin was beat in the infamous, Miracle on the Mat. It's one of the biggest upsets in sports history. It was great, and it was Karelin's last olympiad preformance. But i believe his records stand for themselves.

The other thread about the 20% rule's closed, so I'll comment in here. I don't think the 20% rule is necessary for the first few intakes because there are clearly a large number of candidates worthy of getting in. Because we've all got sports we love and sports we know nothing about, it's a bit harder to get unanimity amongst a group of equal candidates. As the number of people who've gone in grows and the candidates get weaker and weaker - then might a good time to put in that kind of rule. Let's catch up with the 'obvious' picks before we start setting the bar higher.

Ok, so Alex Ferguson!?

I know he's not playing, but he hasn't retired....

This guy?

The other thread about the 20% rule's closed, so I'll comment in here. I don't think the 20% rule is necessary for the first few intakes because there are clearly a large number of candidates worthy of getting in. Because we've all got sports we love and sports we know nothing about, it's a bit harder to get unanimity amongst a group of equal candidates. As the number of people who've gone in grows and the candidates get weaker and weaker - then might a good time to put in that kind of rule. Let's catch up with the 'obvious' picks before we start setting the bar higher.

Seems about right. Lets just say the poll has to be at least 60% in favor for the change (with a minimum of say 25 people voting) to go through immediately. I agree that maybe on the first 5 or so ballots we don't need to...but I think in the future it is something we can use. Like I said...leave feedback. This is something fun....and has definitely gotten me to go read up on some of the guys mentioned here that I do not know as much about. So being a sports fan that is a plus. Keep the feedback coming. For those that don't know what this is about...check the poll here.

Stats:

*97 different individuals have received at least one vote on either one of the ballots.

*20 individuals have received a vote on the 2nd ballot but did not get one on the first ballot

*45 EWB members have cast a ballot in one of the two threads so far including 8 new ones so far on this 2nd ballot.

We had 37 EWB members vote on the first thread....lets get that # to at least 50 on this one.....and hopefully growing with each coming ballot

Edited by sahyder1