Tonight's International Football

DFF

Whilst we were nothing special to shout about, I didn't think we played particularly badly. Spain, whilst having a lot of possession didn't have many outright chances - they just took them well. Outside the goals, how many times did James/Green have to make a save?

As for going forward, we did look a little more dangerous when Beckham was on the pitch/Wright-Phillips wasn't knackered. Carlton Cole was unlucky not to score at the death.

Any reason why this game (England) is kicking off at 10pm local time? I know they usually start a bit later in Spain but 10 o clock?

Spanish matches on weekdays (which are normally only cup matches.. you never seem to have games in hand in the Spanish League) .. normally kick off at 9 and 10 local time

We played well, they played better. Fair do's.

Although the referee was hilarious beyond compare at points. The two free kicks in the first half (both against Gabby, IIRC) were mystifying. The two that were blatant fouls on Gabby yet ruled AGAINST him, when there was no reason at all for Spain to have a free kick. I mean, fair enough not giving the foul, but giving it AGAINST the fouled player is hilarious.

At least the genuine laugh out loud decision in the second half had a valid reason for Spain to get a free kick (if you're ignoring the blatant foul, it was handball when the guy that was hacked down onto all fours touched the ball slightly with his wrist which was trying to stop him collapsing entirely). But to then book David Beckham for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON when he wasn't even nearly involved in the entire passage of play, is absolutely... well, French.

All in all though, great game played in a great spirit (the crowning moment being an Englishman shaking the hand of the Spaniard who blocked Cole's shot off the line and saying 'well done'. Although I did have to laugh at the commentator: "The conduct, both off the field and to a very large extent on it, has been very good today...", as soon as he finishes talking Crouch obliterates Senna from behind. :P

Edited by Farmer Reil

Dont know if anyone other then HTTK is following the US Mexico game but the projected line up for US for the game looks to be:

--------------------Ching--------------------

Beasley----------Donovan--------Dempsey

------------Bradley------Kljestan-----------

Pearce----Bocanegra---Onyewu---Hejduk

-------------------Howard--------------------

No suprises really Bradley is going with a lineup of players who he knows rather then testing guys right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Altidore to come on in a sub if need. I would say a Win is what most are expecting with a tie not causing to much of a problem for the US in this game. A loss for the first time in a while against Mexico would not be a good way to start off qualifying but wouldnt be a huge problem to overcome being this early in qualifying.

Edited by Green Demon

Yeah that would be him, he really has come on as the choice at LB recently since no one else really has stepped up and I think he has done a relatively good job and defending and getting up field when needed.

And again I dont know if anyone cares but ill post anyways the people that made the bench for the US are : Brad Guzan, Jonathon Bornstein, Marvell Wynne, Danny Califf, Ricardo Clark, Jose Francisco Torres, Jozy Altidore

Edited by Green Demon

The refereeing was appalling at times, just honestly laughable. What the fuck was thet call on Heskey when he was through and got taken down? Utter bollocks. That said, when Spain where on it, they were fantastic. Any team out there against them would have slowly been picked apart, they just play amazing passing football at times. England were good, but more shocking selections is the reason to be unhappy. Downing? Please, when will these managers give up on this guy? I still think he's terrible, why play him when you can just give Young a run? And I know there's been injuries, but Crouch? Really? He's effective in the air, England do not need to go back to the shit game of playing non stop high balls. Wright Phillips continues to be so average, great potential but seems to have lost the greatness he seemed to once have. It's a friendly and there's a number of people injured, but I'm tired of them putting out some shit players just to let them have a run or try them out, seeing though the majority have all been tried out. It's like England have been trying to find their best team four years upon years and still haven't found it. Faith in Capello, because he's a fantastic manager, but I really hope there's a lot of changes in the next game.

Oh and great to see Beckham get the cap. Should of started if you ask me, baffled me as to why he didn't. Pretty good game too, good vibe to it. England did no harm tonight, they didn't get laughed off the pitch, but they just weren't near the level of Spain.

Marquez from Mexico with the red card in the 67'. I think it was pretty obvious red IMO Marquez challanged Howard for the ball and went in with his studs and hit Howard in the leg, there was some pushing and shoving between the players with the US players not being to happy with Marquez for obvious reasons.

US 2 - Mexico 0

Bradley (43', 90')

Bradley scores from a blast from outside the box that probably should have been saved but nonetheless still a good result against Mexico and sets us up well with 3 points at the beginning of WCQ.

Edited by Green Demon

Marquez is stupid but that was borderline. I watch it once and see yellow and then the next replay looks clear red so I'm not sure where I stand there. Second goal...HOWLER...that's all I can say. Good result for us though. We needed to win by 2 to really stamp our authority on the game and the current situation.

I understand where you are coming from on the red card when I first saw the play I thought it would just be a yellow but when they showed the other angle in reply it looked like Marquez pretty clearly went in with his studs which will usually get you a red especially against a GK. Like you said a stupid play either way since the US had pretty good control of the game the rest away although there were a couple of hiccups.

What the fuck was thet call on Heskey when he was through and got taken down? Utter bollocks.

Offside. That was one of the few legitimate Spanish free kicks in the game. :P

No it wasn't, because he wasn't offside. I don't know what game you watched if you think it was offside, because they showed the replay about ten times. He was about four foot onside, got away and then got taken down by THE LAST MAN, yet the official decides it's dangerous and gives a offside decision. It was laughable.