No online capability which console do I buy?

Quom

Which console?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which console?

• PS3 $699 80gig
    • 360 Pro $399 60 gig
    • 360 Elite $550
    • Really not worth it without online

I have a HD TV and surround sound. Can spring for either one of these. Not that I'm made of money though so price difference does matter.

Now what I have seen written many a time is that the games and systems are fairly similar and the Wii is generally the 2nd console because of this. Most people seem to write that the 360 dominates because of the online service. Now since I probably will never make use of it I figure that's out as a way to split them.

Am I therefore right in thinking it's a matter of weighing up if I want to spend an extra $350 for a Blu-Ray player and a more reliable machine?

Should probably state I have a PS2 and no X-Box. Not a huge fan of any IP for PS besides Ratchet, GoW and Jak (no FF, GT, MGS). X-Box has Fable and that's about it. A lot of the games that get high reviews for online I wont be playing online.

Is it even worth buying one of these consoles without online capabilities?

Yes, I played without Xbox Live for months and the only reason I have Live right now is for UFC online and FIFA online but I have spend the majority of the time playing offline so the 360 offers a lot of games you can enjoy alone or with friends (which is almost the same as online if you play against eachother). Take for example UFC which is very popular right now, I've played maybe 4 online games just to see what it is like but because I suck so much offline is fine for me and it's hella fun with just a friend.

As an owner of both systems, I would have to go with the PS3 on this one. The games available shouldn't be too much of a factor since you said you're not a fan of any IP in particular, and we're seeing less console exclusive games anyway. The Blu-Ray is DEFINITELY worth it, especially if you enjoy your movies with amazing picture quality and awesome surround sound. If you ever were going to get online capabilities I would definitely go with the 360, but if not the PS3 is definitely going to be the better buy in my opinion.

I concur with the PS3.

Between the 2 XBoxes, there's certainly not much point getting the Elite if you're not going to downloading loads of stuff to fill the extra HD space, so you'd basically be paying $150 for the HDMI cable. :shifty:

I concur with the PS3.

Between the 2 XBoxes, there's certainly not much point getting the Elite if you're not going to downloading loads of stuff to fill the extra HD space, so you'd basically be paying $150 for the HDMI cable. :shifty:

I have the pro and a HDMI slot. Bought a cable for 9 euro and now I have HD Xbox. Get with the times! :pervert:

I know the Pro has an HDMI slot. I was saying the only remaining difference was that the Elite comes with the cable included in the bundle, so it would seem silly to pay an extra $150 for the Elite when you can buy an HDMI cable separately like you did.

Baka. :P

Pretty sure he knows that.

That reminds me, the only way you're going to get High Definition content in terms of movies and TV shows on the 360 is if you have an Xbox Live connection and download it from the marketplace. Or you can just buy an HD-DVD drive for cheap and get some old HD-DVD movies :shifty:

Edited by Teddie Ruckuspin

I think he wants to play games though, not watch movies and tv shows. Ofcourse a Blu-Ray player is cool but is it worth spending so much more money on in comparison to the 360 pro?

I too had a PS2 before I bought a 360, back then the PS2 was seriously superior to the Xbox. You shouldn't be looking at the past. Also, I don't think the PS3 is that much more reliable at the moment, the newest Xbox's are pretty reliable.

I think he wants to play games though, not watch movies and tv shows. Ofcourse a Blu-Ray player is cool but is it worth spending so much more money on in comparison to the 360 pro?

That's the million dollar question really, that and if it really is more reliable. Multi-console releases seem to basically be identical and think the first party output weighs up fairly evenly, although <3 Ratchet.

Blu Ray does make sense though, like I said I have all the necessary kit so it is attractive and does make it a bit more than a games machine, especially when I can go a couple of months without touching a console.

Must admit I'm leaning towards the PS3. But having said that perhaps it's better to go cheaper as I don't think I would buy a 360 then pick up a $300 Blu Ray player.

I too had a PS2 before I bought a 360, back then the PS2 was seriously superior to the Xbox. You shouldn't be looking at the past. Also, I don't think the PS3 is that much more reliable at the moment, the newest Xbox's are pretty reliable.

I never said anything about the past :wacko:

And even the new 360s aren't that reliable. I just bought a new Zephyr or whatever their latest chipset is in February, and it's starting to sound and perform as well as my Elite that I've had for a year and a half.

EDIT: I own both consoles, I've had a fair share of time spent with each, and so I'm pretty sure I would know something about both of them instead of relying on "PS2 was better than Xbox, must be the same now" arguments. If online capabilities were a factor, the 360 would be the better choice. Since online isn't a major factor, both consoles are pretty even, and like he said, it's up to him if he wants a Blu-Ray player for a bit of extra money.

Edited by Teddie Ruckuspin

I pretty much agree with everything Ruckus has said, so the only thing I can add is that I've had both PS3 and 360 for around two years each, and I'm on my third 360 unit, whilst never once having a problem with the PS3.

Call it pro-PS3 bias or whatever you like, but in my experience anyway, and what I've heard online, the 360 is nowhere near as reliable as the PS3.

And even the new 360s aren't that reliable. I just bought a new Zephyr or whatever their latest chipset is in February, and it's starting to sound and perform as well as my Elite that I've had for a year and a half.

EDIT: I own both consoles, I've had a fair share of time spent with each, and so I'm pretty sure I would know something about both of them instead of relying on "PS2 was better than Xbox, must be the same now" arguments. If online capabilities were a factor, the 360 would be the better choice. Since online isn't a major factor, both consoles are pretty even, and like he said, it's up to him if he wants a Blu-Ray player for a bit of extra money.

Was referring to Quat's first post.

Edit: Yeah, Kaney, I've had a 360 for over a year now and never had a problem with it. Kinda strange.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Was referring to Quat's first post.

Edit: Yeah, Kaney, I've had a 360 for over a year now and never had a problem with it. Kinda strange.

Ah, my mistake then.

Technically, the Xbox was the better console, spec wise. The PS2 just had such a wise user base and huge third party support by the time Microsoft got around to releasing it that it mattered very little.

And tbh, I'd go with the PS3. I mean, I did, but that's not why I'm suggesting it for you. The IP's you did mention that you followed are exclusive, not to mention the possibility of HD updates of GoW 1 & 2 being released with GoW 3. Ratchet and Clank may be a bit of a problem if you don't have online though, as I understand Insomniac is doing inbetween stories that are released via PSN.

Also, there is the Bluray. Once Bluray movies go down in price, it will be well worth it, especially given the setup you've described.

PS3. As long as you have decent games that don't rely on online then you'll enjoy both consoles but I pick PS3 cos I've had one for a couple of years, it's never let me down, the PS3-only games are getting better all the time, it's MADE for HD gaming, the Blu-Ray is a lovely option...

As with Kaney though, the PS3-bias hangs around me like a cloud.......

.....of AWESOME¬!

<br />I say PS3 because I own one.<br /><br />Also, it has wireless internet access so if you did feel the need, you could steal someone's close to you. (the XBOX might too, but I'm not sure)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Just to put into some perspective, you only need an ethernet cable for your 360 if you've got wireless internet on your laptop/desktop. You just hook 'em up and you're good to go.

I say PS3. I bought one as my first non-handheld console ever and I have had absolutely zero regrets, and absolutely zero problems. It does almost everything out of the box (except HD, you need the cable for that) and its...basically fantastic. And i'm also primarily a Nintendo fan, so there's not *as much* bias as others have admitted to :)