MMA: WEC 41: Brown vs. Faber II

Yes, I know the fight isn't 3 1/2 more days and that MMA cards don't usually get their own thread, but since this is on network cable (not PPV) and it seems to one of the most anticipated fights of the year headlining, I figured I'd start a separate discussion thread.

Basically, it's a solid card:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber (for WEC featherweight title)

* Jose Aldo vs. Cub Swanson

* Donald Cerrone vs. James Krause

* Josh Grispi vs. Jens Pulver

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-televised)

* John Franchi vs. Manny Gamburyan

* Kyle Dietz vs. Charlie Valencia

* Mike Campbell vs. Anthony Pettis

* Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

* Frank Gomez vs. Noah Thomas

* Seth Dikun vs. Rolando Perez

The entire televised card is going to be bangin', literally. Excited to see Cub/Aldo almost as much as I am for Brown/Faber and at the same time I'm stoked to see Grispi/Pulver (huge Pulver fan).

BUT...the obvious question: Brown or Faber?

My pick: Faber. I think he has learned not to be so reckless. He is so good that now that he is focused and is basically being forced to play it smart with Brown I think he will edge it out.

The "pro picks" largely disagree with me, however. What do you think?

Also live on TSN2. :)

I hate everyone who gets that channel.

I signed up for Shaw's Digital Cable specifically for the sports package... only to find out that a) Leafs, Senators, Canucks games were all blacked out on their respective Sportsnet channels.... and then b) that for some reason, even though they advertised TSN2, I just don't get it.

Fuck.

Hijacking this thread for the Strikeforce show that is tonight because I can't see the point in starting a new topic. Anyway, here are the weigh-ins...

1. Robbie Lawler (182.75) vs. Jake Shields (181.75)

2. Andrei Arlovski (244) vs. Brett Rogers (262)

3. Nick Diaz (179) vs. Scott Smith (179.5)

4. Phil Baroni (168.75) vs. Joe Riggs (170)

5. Kevin Randleman (204) vs. Mike Whitehead (206)

a. Josh Bumgarner (173.5) vs. Jesse Finney (175.75)

b. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (205.5) vs. Mike Kyle (202.5)

c. Booker DeRousse (204.25) vs. James Wade (205.25)

d. Tyron Woodley (170.5) vs. Sal Woods (169.25)

e. Lucas Lopes (186) vs. Scott Ventimiglia (185)

f. Dave Cochran (153) vs. Pat Benson (155.75)

Some decent looking matches on this card and I can't see many of the main fights going to a decision.

I can't remember the last time I watched a Strikeforce show and wasn't just thrilled with what I saw. They seem to deliver each time out, and tonight's show looks very good. The 5 main fights are all fairly big, and the only one I think can go the distance is Randleman/Whitehead. We should get a real good night of fights tonight.

Agreed with Gaby on the main card. Only problem is most fights are predictable. Main event, thankfully, isn't --- But I had to go with Robbie because Paul Daley exposed Shields in their fight, but just didn't have the reach. Lawler should be the bigger, stronger fighter and his wrestling training should come in handy to stop the takedowns. I believe winners of the Lawler/Shields and Diaz/Smith fight will meet for the interim Strikeforce Middleweight title in later Summer, early Fall.

Hijacking this thread for the Strikeforce show that is tonight because I can't see the point in starting a new topic. Anyway, here are the weigh-ins...

Because this thread was started to discuss opinions on WEC, mainly Brown/Faber II? Because you wouldn't 'hijack' a WWE PPV thread for a TNA PPV because they are close together? Because they are different organizations and the events have nothing in common beside they are the same sport?

Because this thread was started to discuss opinions on WEC, mainly Brown/Faber II? Because you wouldn't 'hijack' a WWE PPV thread for a TNA PPV because they are close together? Because they are different organizations and the events have nothing in common beside they are the same sport?

Difference is... more people discuss the wrestling... and you have to remember that the people who discuss the WEC show are going to be the same people discussing Strikeforce.

Hey... Fuck you :)

Anyone watching?

I'm pretty sure had Faber not injured his hand that he could have finished the fight more than once.

If he has the use of that hand, both strategies chance. So it's rather unfair to say that. Because neither would be doing the same thing. WEC's pimping of Faber is rather ugh --- Sometimes when he'd hit Brown they'd act over the top when Brown just shrugged it off and kept moving forward. Not saying Faber didn't fight great, just a bit annoying when there is another great fighter in there.

I had 48-47 fyi. gave the 5th to Faber although Brown could have easily stolen it there at the end, but I felt Faber did enough to win that round. 1,5 for Faber - 2-4 for Brown.