The Hockey Thread

Clawson

If you shoot from outside the blueline that will probably happen. If you try to cross it I hope you have a good sweeper service at GM Place to remove the rotting carcases that will befall you.

We get it.. really, we do. Come Oct you'll either be singing the same tune, when they destory everybody, or you'll be MIA, when they crush nobody.

I like the move for both teams. LA gets the name they wanted but couldn't get in free agency, and add a great veteran to play with their younger players. Colorado improves a thin defence. Preissing should be a boost on the powerplay. Plus, Colorado gets a bit younger and loses Smythe from the payroll.

So I was reading the Canucks fan forum and saw the rumor that the Canucks are interested in Cam Barker. It stuck me as a little absurd, given that Barker is still very young, and as far as I know, Khabibulin off their books leaves Chicago with enough cap room that Barker is a no brainer.

But then I did the math.

The Hawks have, according to the NHLPA, $51,335,732.00 tied up with 7 players left unsigned. Barker is one of those players, but so is Troy Brouwer, Kris Versteeg, and Corey Crawford. Even assuming Crawford is gone, they do still need a backup goalie, and Versteeg and Brouwer are probably both due for a raise. That might make Cam Barker out of their price range... and he'd be a great fit... well, pretty much anywhere.

Depending what happens with this whole Chicago RFA Debacle that's going on right now, there could be some major departures.

If they're ruled UFA's, I expect at least two of Crawford, Barker, Versteeg or Brouwer to end up taking a deal elsewhere.

But if the NHL and NHLPA rule that Chicago didn't make any errors, then I believe three of them will stay, and one will be moved... or all of them will get new deals, and the Hawks will move someone else. Campbell is a name that keeps coming up as available. So maybe they move Brian Campbell and that frees up enough cap space to keep their young guys together. The emergence of Barker and Duncan Keith during the post-season really made Campbell expendable.

Actually, you know what... if the Leafs can move Kaberle for a forward, then they could send a couple Stapleton-esque prospects to Chicago for Brian Campbell, which would solve the problem of getting the puck up the ice, because for my money, there isn't a better offensive minded d-man in the league. That said, I think Campbell is something of a liability defensively, but if you pair him with a Luke Schenn or Mike Komisarek, he would have that stay at home, tough partner that would allow him to play his style of game.

I wouldn't mind bring in Campbell either. Hell, most of those guys I'd like on my team (except Crawford cause he's shit).

I wouldn't mind bring in Campbell either. Hell, most of those guys I'd like on my team (except Crawford cause he's shit).

If Crawford succeeds at the NHL level, it will only be because he is in a position where there is another guy in the exact same spot, fighting him for the chance to play. Antti Niemi and Cory Crawford are going to push each other extremely hard. One of them will make it, and the other one will end up in goaltender obscurity.

I don't think the Hawks can afford to re-sign their RFA's though without making a move... so a notable Blackhawk, or Crawford, will be moved before the summer is over. I really think it's going to be Brian Campbell. I'm assuming they're going to wait until this RFA mess is sorted first though, before they move anybody... because if they trade Campbell, and then the league rules that their RFA's are UFA's because of a paperwork snaffu, then they could potentially lose Cam Barker as well.

So, once this free agent mess is sorted, I expect Barker to get a new contract, and Campbell to be on his way out. That said, it's too bad they have to wait, because if they pulled the trigger now, they could probably get in before Brian Burke does... because whoever holds the best available defenseman... holds all the cards right now. With so many teams looking for that guy to come in and play on the top pairing, the first guy who goes is going to get back a really good return. The next guy, not as much. A forward or d-man who makes half of what Campbell does would be a good return for Chicago, because Keith/Seabrook are likely to be the number one pairing anyways.

Rangers have signed Tyler Arnason... why?

Fortunately it's a two-way deal, stick him down in Hartford :shifty:

WE'RE FREEEEEEEEE! FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I TELLS YOU!

The Colorado Avalanche have traded Ryan Smyth to the Los Angeles Kings for defencemen Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round pick.

I like this trade. I LOVE Preissing, and we clear some good cap space (I assume) The bummer on this deal is that Sakic was rumoured to be not coming back (haven't seen it confirmed anywhere) and I think this all but confirms it.

Rick Nash resigns in Columbus. Maple Leaf tears sustain my existence. :D

Sean, I work out in Hamilton nowadays, and when we checked online and saw this signing the whole of the lab I work in just broke down. It was class.

I don't understand though, was it because he's from the Toronto area that made everyone decide he would sign in Toronto? I'm legitimately curious because I couldn't figure out why Leafs fans thought he would belong to them at the end of next year.

It would have been cool to see Rick Nash coming over to the Leafs, but I am not bothered by him staying in Columbus. He has a team there that is improving and just made the playoffs for the first time. He is their leader. He was offered a very good deal in Columbus and had to take it.

Basha, I think that is why people here thought he was a lock to come here. I don't think anyone thought about how important he is to the Columbus franchise. He is more then just a skilled player. He is the most marketable guy on the team. They had to find away to lock him up long term.

Most of the ones I know figure that if you grew up in the Toronto area and you play in the NHL, you want to play for the Leafs. LMAO

You...you mean they don't? :unsure:

Seriously though, Rick Nash needed to stay in Columbus, so this was a good deal. I honestly thought he'd take less money to stay...but Columbus can't afford to loose him. Big Rick coming to Toronto was the pipe dream of the craziest of the crazy Leaf fans, and nothing more.

The Chicago issue is in the hands of the NHLPA. From the sounds of it, the NHL is willing to let it go and allow Chicago's Qualifying Offers to go through... but the NHLPA has to agree. If they don't agree, then the Hawks will be in a position where guys who would normally make less than $2 million are going to be getting offers for $3 or $4.

If every Montreal born player wanted to play for the Habs we'd have Brodeur and Lupngo in nets and Vinny as our captain haha.

So about 1,000 people went down to the Bell center yesterday to demonstrate and let Bob know they want Kovy back while the papers are filling page 1 with peoples stories about what Koivu means to them... I'm sad :(

The Colorado Avalanche have traded Ryan Smyth to the Los Angeles Kings for defencemen Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round pick.

I like this trade. I LOVE Preissing, and we clear some good cap space (I assume) The bummer on this deal is that Sakic was rumoured to be not coming back (haven't seen it confirmed anywhere) and I think this all but confirms it.

It's not necessarily confirmation, but Sakic did apparently appear on the recent Team Canada Olympic Camp roster.

Also, for the same price as Darcy useless-piece-of-shit Tucker, the Avs could have kept Lappy, Guite and McCormick. But didn't. The Smyth trade is bizarre considering he was one of the best players in Colorado last year (not saying much I know) and the Avs were hardly deep at the wing with him. Seems management is only interested in cutting costs, not putting a decent team on the ice.

Edited by Dragonzord

It's not necessarily confirmation, but Sakic did apparently appear on the recent Team Canada Olympic Camp roster.

Also, for the same price as Darcy useless-piece-of-shit Tucker, the Avs could have kept Lappy, Guite and McCormick. But didn't. The Smyth trade is bizarre considering he was one of the best players in Colorado last year (not saying much I know) and the Avs were hardly deep at the wing with him. Seems management is only interested in cutting costs, not putting a decent team on the ice.

Since when could you only do one of those things? Sure, they moved Ryan Smyth, but they added depth to their back end, AND have signed a guy in Craig Anderson, who very well could have pushed Tomas Vokoun out of Florida and stolen the number one job there.

The way I see it, they're removing cap space that people will take (and believe me, no one is going to take Darcy Tucker unless Colorado takes back someone of equal value and output), and they're rebuilding their team with relatively inexpensive pieces that need the opportunity to prove that they are ready to be top guys. Anderson is a great example of that. I believe he signed for less than $2 million a season, but I can't recall exactly. Inexpensive, and ready to prove he's a legit number one guy.

I like what they're doing there.

EDIT: The Vancouver Canucks have signed Goaltender Andrew Raycroft. Terms of the deal are undisclosed.

Guess this means that Luongo is staying long term and Cory Schneider is on his way out. There's no way Schneider plays another full season in the AHL.

Edited by Gabriel