The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Even with all the goals scored on us the last two games, Ian White is still a +3, while averaging 26 minutes of ice time a night. This just reminds me of why he's maybe my favorite guy on the team. He's quietly become one of our best players.

I find that White is like Gorges, but a little older and a little more developed in his game. Both players are somewhat unseen on the ice most of the game. Not because they're floating around like Dany Heatley, but because they do everything right. They rarely make mistakes, they eat minutes and know that the best thing for the team is hard work, smart plays and more hard work.

I really hope Ron Wilson can reign in the defence and keep them from getting too excited on the ice against the Senators. Whether Toskala or Gustavsson get the start, the defence needs help the goaltender.

I'm not terribly worried... the Canucks traditionally start slow. A lot of people were stressing it was important for the Canucks to start fast given the Olympic break they need to take causing them that massive road trip, but the Canucks have always played well on the road, some seasons they seem to play better on the road than at home so I am not too too fussed. Unlike most seasons in the past, this year the Canucks actually had young players worth playing, so they haven't yet had a chance to gel their full time NHL lines. And Luongo always sucks the first month.

It was shocking as shit to hear "Raycroft in perfect position to make that save!". That's, like, almost oxymoronic.

I find that White is like Gorges, but a little older and a little more developed in his game. Both players are somewhat unseen on the ice most of the game. Not because they're floating around like Dany Heatley, but because they do everything right. They rarely make mistakes, they eat minutes and know that the best thing for the team is hard work, smart plays and more hard work.

Gorges is actually the first player of I think of when I compare Ian White to someone. Aside from White being a bit more offensive, I feel the comparison is a good one.

We picked White up in the sixth round of the draft. Not too shabby at all considering how solid a player he's become for us.

Gorges was pretty much a steal as far as I'm concerned. We picked him up when we traded Rivet to SJ. We also got a 1st (Max Pac) out of the deal. At the time, Gainey was panned pretty universally for the deal, but Gorges has turned out to be a really solid D Man and he's still only 22 or 23.

Tonight's game showed some progress for the Leafs. They didn't win but were much better defensively in this game. They may have focused too much on defending early in the game, but the only mistakes were from Exelby and Schenn. I believe the first Ottawa goal should have been disallowed. Even if the puck was at or a little below the bar, Donovan tomahawk chopped the puck with his stick up high.

Gustavsson looked good and the powerplay has shown some skill. The Leafs just did not produce enough offence. The loss of Stalberg early on may have been a factor.

Whether he wins or loses is irrelevant. What I like about Gustavsson is that he sees the ice extremely well, is always in good position, makes the saves he's supposed to make, and makes saves that he has no business making.

He's exactly what they need in net right now... a guy who goes out there, does his job and then some, and gives the team the opportunity to win every night. Tonight was a successful outing for The Monster.

Perfect start to the year for me. Flames are 3-0, Kiprusoff is looking good and our defense is settling in nicely. Canucks are 0-3 and Luongo is starting to look human and tired.

Kiprusoff actually looked pretty bad at times during his debut against the Canucks. He had some steals, but he also had some cheese as well. His stats suggest that he's going to have another down year this year, so I'd give him fifty more games or so before your scrawl his name into the Vezina.

Luongo let in an absolutely shit goal against Columbus, but apart from that almost every goal against has been outnumbered chances/pisspoor defensive coverage. He's not superhuman yet, but he hasn't suddenly turned into Kay Whitmore overnight.

Montreal got a taste of their own medicine last night. They ran into quite the hot goalie. Montreal played well in the first, sucked in the second and dominated the third with a 15-4 shot advantage. The big difference was that Kipper was way better than Halak. At least 2 of Calgary's goals Halak should have saved and Price would have saved.

This is a loss that I'm sure myself and most Habs fans are happy with... I'll let the Gazette staff writers explain:

A whole lot of fans are happier about this loss than they were about the two preceding wins.

In their best game of the young season, the Canadiens played their hearts out on the road against a Stanley Cup contender.

They outshot Calgary 30-28 – including a 15-5 third-period advantage, with the game on the line.

They outhit a fiercely physical team 16-14.

They committed five giveaways, to 10 for Calgary, and were 27-21 on faceoffs.

The Canadiens played the Flames even in the first period, sucked in the second and dominated the third.

Why did the home team win?

Because Calgary's fourth line was better ... as was their goaltender.

Onto Vancouver tonight, where an effort like last night should translate into a win.