The Hockey Thread

Clawson

It's Toskala's fault the Leafs are averaging 1.67 goals per game over their last three, and 2.4 goals per game overall?

The whole team is playing like shit. Still, with decent goaltending at least it would be closer. We would have SOMETHING to look forward to. I can honestly say that Joey McDonald would be the better option right now. I just don't want to see Toskala in net tomorrow night.

A better effort from everyone is needed, but the goal by Redden should have been stopped. The first goal by Dan Girardi should have been stopped. Heck, the disallowed goal by Kotalik shouldn't have gone in at all.

The Leafs did play well for most of the second period. The rest of the time, they were a step behind.

I didn't see the game, as it was only available in Canada via PPV... but the Flames went up 5-0 on the Hawks, and ended up losing 6-5. Brent Sutter can NOT be happy with that, and I expect a whole different game tomorrow night in Columbus.

Toronto. Please stop giving Boston an amazing pick in the draft.... they're already better than the rest of us...

Also, Interesting stat. Chicago and Montreal now both with the largest comebacks etc etc. Cristobal Huet was in nets replacing Carey Price when the Habs did it in 07-08. Tonight he started the game in which Chicago came back. Pretty interesting footnote to history to me.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

Toskala is injured, so James Reimer has become an emergency call up. He'll be backing up Joey MacDonald tonight against Colorado.

In other news: Tyler Bozak has been called up from the Marlies as well.

In other, other news: thank you Brian Burke for giving up our first rounder this year. Really appreciate it. Great way to rebuild. :rolleyes:

In other, other news: thank you Brian Burke for giving up our first rounder this year. Really appreciate it. Great way to rebuild. :rolleyes:

I love this argument. Somehow trading draft picks for a 21 year old sniper means we're abandoning the rebuild. He's 21! He'll tear it up with Kadri next year!

We get a complimentary scorer for three draft picks on a team that really has no top three talent. Kessel and Kadri on paper could work out. On paper out defense should be working out better too. On paper.

It's not the end of the world, but the fact is that our cupboards still aren't stocked enough to be tossing away three picks for one player. Burke himself said it was a gamble, and with Boston's smart drafting record over the last few years, we've significantly improved a divisional rival for years to come if their picks pan out. I still fully except Tuukka Rask to come back and haunt us for years to come.

The organization's previous attitude towards picks and prospects has left us pretty thin in that regard. The team we're icing now isn't good enough to compete for a playoff spot as far as I'm concerned. I know it's pretty early to start throwing logs on the fire, but there's a lot of teams in the East on the bubble...and as far as I'm concerned they're far better teams than us.

So let's say we miss the playoffs, and have no draft picks. Not only are we not at a level good enough to make the post season, we're lacking impact talent to come through our system cheaply enough to augment the heavier cap hitting players. That leaves us to look at free agency for bringing in new talent...and impact talent on the FA market is expensive. Trading isn't a really bright spot since we lack significant assets to trade outside of Tomas Kaberle, who I think we need to keep unless someone blows Burke's socks off.

Tyler Bozak (for example) may be the equivalent of a first round pick in some eyes (which I think is fair), but he also carries a pretty decent cap hit himself. We're already up tight to the cap...and Kessel isn't even on the roster yet.

Edited by Drifter_2000

I've hated that trade since day one. Burke is the most overrated GM of all time. He basically took Bryan Murray's team added Pronger so it looked like he was a mastermind. Traded for Kessel who only is a one demensional player who only got 36 goals cause he played with one of the best play makers in the league in Marc Savard. I just expect him to do just as well as Blake did in his first season in Toronto. I believe we should try to get a better play maker in the off season next season to play with Kessel and Blake. Any ideas?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Colorado is going to do a lot better than most people think. I think they'll be in the playoffs. Wolski, Duchene, Statsny, Hejduk...the Leafs can only dream of that kind of forward power, plus the top defenders are comparable and the goaltending far better.

Easily possible? You guys were 12 points out last season, the East got so much better this season. It's an insult to Tampa, Florida, Montreal, the Rangers, Carolina, Buffalo and possibly Ottawa to say something like that. All these teams with the exception maybe of Montreal and Buffalo got much better in the off-season. Buffalo is just a very close team which could easily surprise and Montreal will challenge either way for 7-11th in the East. A low seed spot is not guarenteed, nor easily possible for a bunch of teams that were better than the Leafs last year, and are still better this year. Toronto got better, but 12 points is a lot to make up, especially when a lot of other teams are going to be making up a lot of points as well. The only teams in the East that I would guarentee are the top 4... maybe 5 with Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly and maybe the Devils or Rangers?