The Hockey Thread

Clawson

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The answer I've heard is leverage--if a team comes into financial difficulty and threatens to move to a market where they'd be guaranteed to sell a ton of tickets, they might be able to extract more concessions from their existing American city. Not unlike back in the 1960s when baseball teams would constantly threaten to move to Toronto (and the Giants almost did).

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I only caught a brief glimpse of it as I left a restaurant, but why was Don Cherry dressed as the Phantom of the Opera and pretending to play an organ?

Kane's breakaway goal was a beauty. Carter almost got the game winner in overtime, but the referee said he was blowing his whistle before Carter was tucking the puck into the net. Still, very fun game to watch.

AND the Flyers have won it! Fun game, and it is good to see that the Blackhawks are going to have a challenge here. If Philly can win the next one, then suddenly this is a new series.

Edited by Toe

Great to see that Kate Smith is still helping the flyers win at home all these years later. I still get a lil choked up during god bless America :crying:

NHL.com has some great interviews from the General Managers meetings, specifically the one with Brian Burke about headshots was really good.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Ron MacLean is getting free publicity off the fact that he saved a guy from drowning in Philadelphia today.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I really hope he doesn't try and paint himself as a reluctant hero. Hopefully either nobody says anything about it tomorrow or Cherry complains that his lunch was interrupted and that's it.

Well damn, it seems like Philly is making this a series and I've got to say, I don't particularly like that. I honestly figured that with Chicago's speed that they would pretty much be able to skate all over Philly, but then again, I thought the same thing about Montreal and that didn't happen. The big guys on Chicago really need to step up because Philly's top players are definitely ready to play.

I was hoping someone who understands these things more than me could help me out here. With the whole issue about the NFL being a monopoly and the US supreme court ruling that they are in fact 30(32?) seperate entities, what implications will this have for the NHL, especially when it comes time to negociate over the next CBA.

I think it means more about moving teams and the rights of owners. I assume that when it comes to the CBA, the individual teams all put their powers to negotiate into the hands of the league.