Empire: Total War

Wahey! Taken control of Afghanistan and now control most of the north of the Indian sub continent. The Maratha Confederacy control most of India proper though and we're allied so that's the end of my Indian growth for now.

In the new world I finally took out the Iroquais or whoever it was so that the 13 Colonies have joined me. The way they're spread along the coast, and with the hilly terrain that makes movement difficult, it's no surprise that America gained independance.

Keeping control of that coast will be an incredible uphill battle especially if the French help out. Really really difficult. The only place that looks secure is North Canada because of how remote it is.

Anyway, the battle that won it for me was 1199 tribesmen and warriors against 770 of my men. In the end I lost 74(?!) and killed 823 to decimate their forces.

Of course I feel kinda bad as I'm just a big power colonising the indiginous people but the fact the game puts that thinking onto you is pretty cool.

Oh, and I took Gibraltar from Spain. I don't feel bad about that.

Now just need to spread some more Protestantism amongst the Spanish areas (Catholic), the Americas (Animism) and India (Hinduism) and Afghanistan (Muslim) to cheer my people up a bit.

Fair enough. I'd sort of assumed it started somewhere more mid-18th century for some reason.

So were you just 'England' when the game started or did they skip the formalities and have you as 'Great Britain' from the off?

You have Scotland, Wales and Ireland (simplified) under control at the start, unlike Europa Universalis where I had to fight tooth and nail for Scotland especially.

You also get North Canada as the foothold into the New World and a couple of the West Indian islands of course.

Or rather, "Napoleon: Total War". :shifty:

I imagine it would be a little bit weird to play a Napoleonic game spanning only two decades, after so many games spanning a century or more.

Apparently that's where the TW series will end though. Ah well.

You have Scotland, Wales and Ireland (simplified) under control at the start, unlike Europa Universalis where I had to fight tooth and nail for Scotland especially.

I was just wondering what the game called you, really. Obviously England held effective control over all of them by that point (no matter what the Scottish parliament liked to think :shifty:).

Or rather, "Napoleon: Total War". :shifty:

I imagine it would be a little bit weird to play a Napoleonic game spanning only two decades, after so many games spanning a century or more.

Apparently that's where the TW series will end though. Ah well.

I was just wondering what the game called you, really. Obviously England held effective control over all of them by that point (no matter what the Scottish parliament liked to think :shifty:).

You picky sod. They're ending it!? :o

I can't remember what the game calls England/Britain without loading it up and I can't be bothered right now.

Personally I think a little expansion to this would finish it up nicely at the end though I guess the fear is that it's possible you'd have obliterated the competition by then.

A scenario would have been nice though...

Edit: Still, there is NO WAY that I'm not gonna buy this.

I just picked the game up, it seems a bit over my head in so far as myself trying to understand it all. I was a big fan of EU3 which while a different game, also had a lot to it. I'm just gonna try my luck as France I suppose. Gotta stop those pesky English from hitting another conquest.

French tips if you get stuck...

I've never played as France but historically ally with Spain, align with anyone who's against Britain, screw the United Provinces (Netherlands area) so that you have loadsa places to attack Britain from, have a go at Italy and push East from time to time just for giggles. In the New World just chance your hand at slowly moving south west or blow Britain out of Northern Canada as quickly as possible.

The French are big tough bullies so bully. You need to stay on your front foot.

The only real addition I'd make to Hamster's tips is keep an eye on Austria. If the Turks are doing well, then they should keep Austria nice and occupied. If, however, Austria are twatting the Turks, it's only a matter of time before they swing westwards.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad someone brought is topic back as I got my brother this for Christmas and have been having a go of it by myself. I've been slowly working my way through the Road To Independence, I'm up to the part just after your first battle as the Americans.

I'm no master tactician, But I'm slowly picking things up but it's going to be interesting now that I'm playing against the army I just built up and are severely outnumbered (I seriously have no Idea how I got through the Battle for Boston, I was getting raped at one point and then all of a sudden the enemy one by one started to rout, It was odd.)

I do have to ask what the hell is up with the cavalry? They seem to have no point what so ever, Ever time I put them in battle, They get dropped in about a minute. Am I overlooking something I should be doing?

Cavalry will lose against a well-organised infantry unit.

What you need to do with them is keep them lurking on your flanks and then when an enemy infantry unit starts wavering you send them crashing in and the infantry will run for it and you can decimate the unit.

You can't just rush cavalry at an infantry line or ESPECIALLY square (which will destroy cavalry). You can get away with charging them into the side of an advancing infantry though.

Also get them trotting until close and THEN double click for a last minute charge. Let them claim a few kills then bring them out again. They're there to destroy your opponent's morale and rout wavering units. They're NOT for fully fledged attacking.