NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

I never thought i'd say this, but I think Mario's press statement was completely classless. Threatening to take his bat and ball and go home because they didn't get "meaningfully suspended"? Exactly how many games is thrashing his precious pens worth anyway? What does he want, sixteen games for opening cans from two flavours of whoop-ass on someone?

Yeah, Lemieux's statement was ridiculous.

I thought the suspensions were fine. Gillies' hit on Tangradi was comparable to Wisniewski's on Seabrook which received an 8 game suspension. Martin's was an attempted cheap shot, and given that the league has consistently (lol) based suspensions on whether the player was injured or not, 4 games isn't a terribly low amount. A lot of Pens' fans have whined about Haley, which I don't understand since he did nothing wrong other than making Letang look like an AHL defensemen. What Godard did was an automatic 10 so no need for further discussion there.

And seeing as how the league overturned both Bylsma's automatic one game suspension and his $10,000 fine, Lemieux really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

All of that is even ignoring the obvious hypocrisy of Lemieux questioning the integrity of the league and overall quality of play when he is the one signing the paychecks of cheap shot artist extraordinaire Matt Cooke.

Versteeg has been traded to Philly for a 1st and a 3rd.

At first I was :w00t: because "YAY! FIRST ROUND PICK!"

Then I was :mellow: because "It's Philly...it will be a 27th-30th pick.....and Versteeg isn't bad."

Now I'm wondering...will we flip that pick for someone (Richards or Schenn? :lol: )...or keep it?

Toronto isn't going to have any moves to make on the 28th :(

And a rumor I read yesterday was that it was supposed to be Versteeg for JVR.

I liked Versteeg, but I think his salary was a little high and he was playing on the third line. He will be good player for Philly. A late first round pick is still a first round pick - something we Leafs fans rarely get to see. :shifty:

I think Burke, Nonis, and the Leafs scouts did great work to get value out of last year's draft, and I have faith they will do the same this year. Plus, this pick could be used in a trade to get someone else.

The Versteeg trade was fine. Works for both parties. Solid work on everyone's part I think. I think Leafs Nation puts too much value on being able to say "Verbeauty" and thinks that it's actually worth something in terms of a trade <_<

Fucking hell Foppa, stop Favreing us.

He only retired once, you buffoon.

I think toronto may have gotten the better deal here.

I felt Versteeg wasn't a great fit, a little over paid, and they got a first and a 3rd..... for a second liner at best. The only downfall is the possibility of the draft not being great this year.

Although I think Philly overpaid, he shouldn't have a problem fitting in on their roster. Philly has a lot of talent, and I think it'll benefit Versteeg to play in philly, rather than toronto.

Call it a win-win for both, with a high price to get that win.

Philly wants to win now, and Versteeg will add depth, while Toronto gets a first rounder for a guy who was playing third line on a rebuilding team. Picks might amount to nothing, but Versteeg wasn't part of the future for this team. Like this trade for both teams.