The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Guest mr. potato head

I only used it after checking with Plubby to make sure you weren't in the league! (Which I should have known on my own from the lack of pre-draft trade offers, but still.)

Yep, it's just that Boston's got our number. We're looking awesome against the Rangers.

Pissed that the game slipped my mind until the last minute, and I tuned in luckily only missing 2 minutes, but missing what sounded like an awesome fight.

EDIT: Damn, went from looking awesome to on fucking fire. 3-0 Leafs!

Make that 3-1, we still got this.

Fuck, 3-2 on a 5on3.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Phaneuf just killed Sauer with a hit. A minute later, Schenn nailed someone solid too. Now, Steckel and Del Zotto just crashed into the endboards hard and Del Zotto is hurting bad. Game is getting crazy!

Looks like Del Zotto is alright though, he's back in the game. Tough guy, I'll give him credit.

Sorry for the double post btw.

Steckel with the empty net with 4.6 seconds left seals the game. 4-2 Leafs! Gusty played great too.

Guest mr. potato head

So realignment is officially a thing according to Bettman. New "conferences" as follows:

Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Florida, Tampa Bay

Philly, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey

Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit, Columbus, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Nashville

Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Phoenix

Playoffs are within divisions for the first two rounds, then the top team of the remaining four meets the worst and #2 vs. #3.

I'm stoked, I love these changes. Presents more opportunities for unique Stanley Cup matchups, heightened focus on divisional rivalries too. Now we just need to convince them to go back to the classic division names.

So, under the current format, that means that it pays to be in the East. Each conference in the East will provide 4 playoff spots for 7 teams to fight over. The west, on the other hand, has the same amount of spots, with one extra team per conference. That doesn't seem logical, unless they know something that we don't about a team possibly relocating before next season.

If Phoenix were to relocate to say, Quebec City, then they could be added to the Northeast conference and that would even it up a bit. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that Bettman likes the idea because he gets the Coyotes out of the desert and into the East, and it becomes a given that at least fourteen teams out of the 30 in the league now will approve two more expansion teams for his Las Vegas and Kansas City projects, to even up the conferences at 8 teams a piece.

First goal wasn't his bad, a Kovalchuk point shot is something that beats a lot of goalies. On the 2nd goal though, the sprawling reaction he did just didn't seem like how he usually plays. Hopefully he gets back in the groove and shuts the rest of the game down.

Also, this new guy on Hockey Central (Marty McSorely I think I just heard?) is funny. He just told Doug Maclean he was soft for saying not to run the goalies while discussing the Tootoo/Miller hit, causing an argument between the two.

Reimer losing his stick count: 3

Oh yeah, forgot. Kessel got one in off his foot. 2-1 NJ

Frattin with a beauty! 2-2!

Are you kidding? Reimer sprawls all the time.

Not like that. I'm used to seeing Reimer on his knees ready for the puck going side to side on those plays, not sprawling out to try and grab it and being walked and sticked around for a goal.

2-2, and heading to overtime now.

Fuck, Clarkson wins it for the Devils with his 2nd of the night, right after Gunnarson fans on a wide open slapshot causing the rush.