The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Tim Thomas declines his invite for the White House visit, Cam Neely in a statement chalks it up to "political beliefs". This should be interesting.

I'm intrigued. Thomas is supposed to be releasing a statement via Facebook sometime today. Anything short of Thomas leaving Boston for, I dunno, Ahmadinejad's administration will probably get blown out of proportion, though.

Guest mr. potato head

It's dumb that Thomas felt the need to skip out on this but it's even dumber to think of hockey types erupting in a political flamewar. It would make EWB look like some sort of policy convention.

The whole point is to make a statement about his political beliefs by no-showing. It's not as if the media are crucifying Thomas for having opinions. This is what he wanted, reporters are just biting on it in a big way.

Over/under on Ovechkin's suspension for his hit on Zbynek Michalek? No penalty called on the play but he's been suspended for dirty hits in the past and might have to sit 2 or 3.

The whole point is to make a statement about his political beliefs by no-showing. It's not as if the media are crucifying Thomas for having opinions. This is what he wanted, reporters are just biting on it in a big way.

Over/under on Ovechkin's suspension for his hit on Zbynek Michalek? No penalty called on the play but he's been suspended for dirty hits in the past and might have to sit 2 or 3.

That's a pretty nasty hit...he should get 4 or 5. He's been suspended before, he leaves his feet, and he hits the head.

I'm calling 4 games, bad choices by O-V.

Here is Thomas' explanation for not attending the White House trip.

Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas released the following statement Monday evening regarding his absence from the Bruins' visit to the White House this afternoon:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613279

Good for TT, standing up for his beliefs regardless of what'll be said.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage