The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Guest mr. potato head

Toronto is getting curb stomped. Sounds like the perfect storm of bad goaltending, poor play, and turnovers against a good opponent.

Sounds like the perfect storm of having a roster full of guys who really aren't that talented with a handful of exceptions.

Sounds like the perfect storm of having a roster full of guys who really aren't that talented with a handful of exceptions.

Being sparse on big talent hasn't stopped squads like Pittsburgh or STL especially from making noise this year, they just know how to play around it.

I watched it so I can say pretty confidently it was just a case of Toronto having no clue how to handle the deepest 4 lines in the league. If your D can't contain the fourth line like on the Malhotra goal, you're screwed. The Sedins were setting up at will.

ESPN had an interview with Hitchcock that explained his system with the Blues. Goaltending is part of their success, but it helps when you're giving up fewer than 20 shots a lot of nights too.

The Vezina race is going to be tough to call this year - I think you can put Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Halak, Howard, Quick, Rinne, and probably Fleury and Elliot all in the running. Luongo had an early slump that's becoming kinda common for him, but he's been great for long stretches too.

OHHH MALIK!

WENT BETWEEN HIS LEGS!

That was good, but silly that they didn't talk to Malik himself.

Also: Lot of love in our organization.

I guess the Avs thought they were spending way too much time not killing stupid penalties?

I don't know who in Detroit's blueline Quincey will bounce, so it seems like a depth move for them. Giving up Downie and winding up with a late 1st is pretty great return, so Tampa wins the deal in my eyes.

I like Downie because his hometown's about 15 minutes from me. I don't like that he's gone to the Avs because that's Plubby's team, and screw Plubby. :shifty:

I agree with Cauc though, 1st round pick wins Tampa the deal.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

Guest mr. potato head

Not sure what you mean by "prospect" there, but agree with your analysis. Quincey's a dependable defenceman who will slot into Detroit nicely. Tampa did very well getting a first for Downie. Colorado gets a goon who causes issues in the locker room in exchange for their best defenceman.

Wait, Detroit gave up a 1st round pick for a guy they cut a couple of years ago and they look pretty good?

Not sure how I feel about this. Quince was infuriating at times, he'd start well and sputter out, and he takes too many dumb penalties. But all I really know about Downie is he's the douche that got suspended 20 games for nearly killing a guy in pre-season.

Guest mr. potato head

Basically teams had to protect a certain number of players who weren't exempt from waivers. Most of the players available in the draft would be AHL-level, with maybe a handful of fourth-liners who teams didn't really want also available. Teams could choose to select anyone available, but obviously they'd be eligible for waivers if they tried to send them down to the minors again after selecting them.

Basically it was a way to stop teams from hoarding a ton of great players in the AHL, and to allow the really bad teams a chance at plucking some other team's scrubs.

Taken out of the game in the last CBA.