The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

I've heard good reviews. The book is good. The first time I saw that image was shortly after the Lidstrom/Cloutier Debacle.

I've heard good reviews. The book is good. The first time I saw that image was shortly after the Lidstrom/Cloutier Debacle.

I wanted to pick up the book, but it's like....$100 on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goon-story-of-Minor-League-Hockey-/120867178115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c243ec683#ht_2357wt_885

I wanted to pick up the book, but it's like....$100 on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.com/...3#ht_2357wt_885

Boo for the bastard not listing a price for international shipping.

Wilson out, Carlyle in. It's really weird to do a coaching change this late in the season and weirder still that they didn't just promote one of the assistants as a lame duck ala Cunneyworth in Montreal.

Not sure about the new coach as a fit with the existing roster. Carlyle runs a really gritty, physical style and the Leafs are more set up to play a speedy transition game.

Unbelievably bad move. Had to be a MLSE move rather than a Burke move, because it's bad in every description of the word.

Also, word has leaked out that Cody Hodgson asked for a trade. He denies it, but his agent is gloating on Twitter that they got him moved, so... yeah.

He feels like he is a Number 1/Number 2 center and on Vancouver he was always going to be Number 3.

Going back a bit to when Hodgson was drafted, the Canucks Number 1 Center, Brendan Morrison, had finished an injury derailed 39 game season where he only put up 25 points. Their new makeshift number 1, Henrik Sedin, had put up 76, not quite the Hart Trophy type numbers he puts up now. But it was also his first full season getting proper, first line ice time, so no one had any idea if he'd be able to maintain that. The Canucks 3rd line center, he also filled in on line 2 when needed, Ryan Kesler, had put 37 points, which is fine for a third line center but not exactly franchise forward material. Hodgson, at the time, was seen as our next centerpiece franchise forward; if the Sedins panned out, they'd be the top line, but if they didn't, Hodgson could be a number one guy. The fanbase viewed him as the next Trevor Linden; a future captain who made his wingers better and wasn't afraid to battle and carry the load.

Fast forward to last year. Henrik Sedin had an off year and only managed to put up 94 points, definitely showing signs that the Sedins are busts. Ryan Kesler, meanwhile, continued to be a reliable checking forward, but his 73 points aren't really ideal numbers for a second line center to be putting up. Yet, for some reason, the Canucks coaching staff were unfairly discriminating against Cody Hodgson and refusing to let him get the minutes that he deserved. I can see where his beef is, honestly.

The rumor mill, meanwhile, is suggesting that Hodgson's agents are hired by his father and not the player himself, and that after each year Hodgson didn't get to play the time he wanted (being left in juniors the first year, being a late season call up the next, and then only getting third line ice time the next years) his father fired the agent and replaced them with a new one, demanding changes. If that is all true, I think Hodgson is less the new Trevor Linden and more the new Eric Lindros.

Guest mr. potato head

Unbelievably bad move. Had to be a MLSE move rather than a Burke move, because it's bad in every description of the word.

Also, word has leaked out that Cody Hodgson asked for a trade. He denies it, but his agent is gloating on Twitter that they got him moved, so... yeah.

Or maybe there's a lot of MLSE pressure on Burke's job and this was a last-ditch effort for a change.

I don't know a lot about Carlyle. I don't even have a huge opinion on Wilson as a coach, but to blame him for the Leafs' recent woes is crazy. It's a miracle they were in a playoff position for so long with the talent they have.