The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Unbelievably bad move. Had to be a MLSE move rather than a Burke move, because it's bad in every description of the word.

Also, word has leaked out that Cody Hodgson asked for a trade. He denies it, but his agent is gloating on Twitter that they got him moved, so... yeah.

Or maybe there's a lot of MLSE pressure on Burke's job and this was a last-ditch effort for a change.

That, too, would be stupid. Burke is fine.

I don't think it is a bad move. Maybe Burke felt Carlyle wouldn't be available if he waited until the summer?

The motivation seems to be not wanting to start from scratch with a new coach in the fall, which I guess makes sense. This last leg of this season is going to be the transition period instead of October of next season.

The record doesn't show it, but Burke has put the Leafs in a much better position in terms of talent and prospect depth from the time where he came on. I don't think the heat is on him just yet, but another bad season might see the blame fall to him.

The Hodgson stuff is understandable even if it does mean he's going to get a bad rep for being impatient or not a team player or whatever. He came into pro already with a history of injuries and the league is rapidly becoming dominated by its young players. He's better than a third line role and would have been flushing some of his prime years. I really hope Buffalo works out for him, they seem keen to have him as a major piece for the future.

Whoever believes you can compare Grabo to Nash is a complete moron.

BUT, Nash is overpaid. However, that doesn't make Grabo's contract easy to swallow because it's not as bad. Grabo definitely needs to up his game to justify that contract. What does Lupul make next year? What does Kessel earn when his contract is up?

Edited by thisgamewelose

Pretty good game so far between Toronto and Boston, physicality and fighting (Y)

Armstrong just got his nose blooded up good by Seidenburg, Rosehill bloodied up Thorton earlier as well.

EDIT: I gotta give props to Chara on that 4th Boston goal. Blast a heavy slapped just wide of the net to make everyone aware of it, gets the puck back and heads down the slot, winds up like he's about to blast another and instead makes a soft pass to Caron waiting on the doorstep for the easy goal. That slapper he has can be used as a gameplan of it's own.

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

These players don't exist in a vaccuum. You don't pay for a players' stats purely. They bring non-statistical things to a roster. You pay to make sure someone with cap room like a New York or a Colorado (though Colorado doesn't need a center, they have the cap room) doesn't come in and pay him six large because they can. This whole concept of overpaying for someone is a bit silly to me. You have a want, you have some money. You try and stuff the peg in the hole.

The deal for Grabovski is pretty consistent with what second tier centers are getting at current market value - Krejci, Plekanec, Ribeiro are all in the same bracket. Friedman blogged on CBC today that the more important question than Grabovski's value is the cost to replace him. It's either sign him at what it costs and hope that his production continues to increase, or try to replace him by going free agent shopping or swinging a trade.

Riberiro was coming off an 80+ point season with that cap.

Krejci is making less and broke 60 points, twice.

Plekanec makes less and also broke 60, twice. And I'd agrue that when that contract was signed, Montreal needed him a lot more than Toronto needs Grabo.

Most forums I read, Toronto fans would take either of them over Grabo. I get what your point is, but Toronto did have offers for him, they even had first round offers. I think Joe Colborne could play second line next season.

That was a hell of a game, too bad we couldn't get out with the 2 points, or 1 at least.

If Chara ends up getting a phone-meeting for that hit, I can pretty much predict how it would go.

"Yeah well, he slightly turned before I hit him and, uh.. I'm kind of 7 feet tall, it's hard to get any lower than I did." :shifty:

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

Riberiro was coming off an 80+ point season with that cap.

Krejci is making less and broke 60 points, twice.

Plekanec makes less and also broke 60, twice. And I'd agrue that when that contract was signed, Montreal needed him a lot more than Toronto needs Grabo.

Most forums I read, Toronto fans would take either of them over Grabo. I get what your point is, but Toronto did have offers for him, they even had first round offers. I think Joe Colborne could play second line next season.

The deal obviously comes with the expectation that he can hit his prime and maybe add 15 or 20 points more in upcoming seasons. Toronto is one of the worst teams in hockey for depth at center, they absolutely do need him and shouldn't gamble on replacing him when everyone knows GM's will blow their wad UFA shopping on July 1. I think the term at that price is a little iffy, but the other options aren't so tempting either.

A first rounder (probably late in the round since it was likely a contending team wanting a rental) is probably three years of development. Relying on scouting and projection is risky and you keep the top sixer already in the league every time, afaic. Colborne is streaky at the AHL level and isn't ready for that kind of role in the big league; he's not a replacement yet.

Word going around is that Lupul is done for the year :(

Carter Ashton will likely be playing in his first NHL game tonight...emergency call up? Or is that call-up #4?

Also.....I still think we need to ship out some bodies on the team. We have a decent amount of players ready/almost ready in the AHL. Forward: Kadri, Mueller, Colborne.

Defense: Blacker, Holzer.

Guest mr. potato head

How would a team full of Rukis do in the NHL?

Not well under the modern divisional alignment, but they'd have been superstars in the Whales conference.

• Like 1

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT RANDY CARLYLE IS A GOOD ONTARIO BOY AN IF YOU WANNA SUCCEED IN TARANNA Y'NEED MORE ONTARIO BOYS IN THERE! SO LETS GET BEHIND RANDY AND SEE THE MAPLELEAFS IN THE PLAYOFFS LETS GO EH!