The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Varly and Landescalder! Rangers? Pfffttt...

Haha. yeah, Varly was unreal that game. Total domination in the first period by the Rangers...and most of the game, but Varly was just at the top of his game.

I think Reimer's fine. Reimer is being exposed because last year, he was a virtual unknown. Over the offseason, people got to work analyzing video and spotting his weaknesses. He hasn't yet been able to adapt to that, but he's still young. It's entirely possible that he's Andrew Raycroft and he had a one and done season and he'll always be shit now, but it's more likely that the guy isn't even 30 yet and the Toronto fans need to shut the fuck up and actually try letting someone develop for a change.

Anyway, apparently (I didn't watch HNIC so I didn't see it myself), Don Cherry recently went off on a rant about Hybrid Icing. Normally I'd say "man fuck Don Cherry, wants to see players barrelling headfirst into the boards" but, from what I read which was an article about what he said, and not his actual words, it seems like his position is "why hybrid icing? Why not no-touch icing?"

I have to agree with this position, really. It's like saying "Okay, we have a problem with people getting injured for no reason. Why don't we put in this system to reduce injuries by 60%?" "...uh, why not just put in a system where we can reduce injuries by 100%?" "...because we like to make things needlessly complicated and non-sensical."

You'd think a league that had gone six months with (arguably) it's best player sitting out contemplating whether he would ever be back would be keen to reduce injuries but apparently not. I've heard the NHLPA intends to push for the Shannaban to be eliminated as part of their CBA talks. Because why protect players enabling them to make money longer? Fuck that, we shouldn't be fining them at all. Let the players police themselves. Bring back smoking in the dressing rooms. Why are we letting women vote again? I have made fire! And various other neanderthal opinions.

but it's more likely that the guy isn't even 30 yet and the Toronto fans need to shut the fuck up and actually try letting someone develop for a change.

Couldn't have said it better. Reimer's not as bad as he's played for stretches post-concussion, so evaluating his talent is kind of tricky. I think it's fair to put him somewhere in between a great stretch last year and some pretty bad ones this year, and I think he'll hang around and get another chance to start next season.

Radulov to Nashville sounds like it's close to being done and he might dress later this week. It's not clear who, but someone bought him out of this contract year in the KHL to free him up.

EDIT: The rules for hybrid icing seem a bit convoluted. Essentially, it becomes a race to the faceoff dot in the zone and not to the puck to determine whether the call is made. Cherry had a few details mixed up (UNFATHOMABLE!) with the ringette line also being mulled over, but he's right and you're right in that hybrid icing only kind of stops injuries. It should be no-touch every time, but this is a league that cares more about goal scoring than player safety.

So, I am hearing that Justin Schultz, a Ducks prospect, might be heading to free agency this year.

Apparently in the Lupul trade, Burke wanted Schultz instead of Gards...and the two of them used to play with one another. So...clearly the Leafs are going to be signing this kid, right?

On the bright side, Alex Galchenyuk has dropped pretty low on the rankings. You guys could be able to snag him. He could really be the second overall pick taken between 6-15.

You know the idea is to suck over multiple games, right? You can't make it up by REALLY sucking in just one game.