X Com 2

I really, really loved the first one (the first reboot one, not the original which I never played). But the second one took away all my strats. I was super cautious and used time to set up safe flanks by guessing where pods would be and stuff. The countdown timer on 90% of the maps has kind of made me really not like this game. I think I'll start it again on super easy baby mode or something, at least until I get my feet under me.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2017 at 05:09, Quom said:

I really, really loved the first one (the first reboot one, not the original which I never played). But the second one took away all my strats. I was super cautious and used time to set up safe flanks by guessing where pods would be and stuff. The countdown timer on 90% of the maps has kind of made me really not like this game. I think I'll start it again on super easy baby mode or something, at least until I get my feet under me.

OK, this really was my experience too. What I found helped me with my (not dissimilar) play style is that the point of the stealth is not to get to the objective in time (as I was treating it) but to get you the first pod "for free". Overwatch shots out of concealment break don't have the usual Overwatch aim penalty so you can find the first pod, set up OW, then take out the most threatening troop first and the rest should fall to the Overwatch shots. Then it becomes a lot easier to hit the objective. Mind you, I save-scummed the FUCK out of the early game.

13 minutes ago, Plubby said:

OK, this really was my experience too. What I found helped me with my (not dissimilar) play style is that the point of the stealth is not to get to the objective in time (as I was treating it) but to get you the first pod "for free". Overwatch shots out of concealment break don't have the usual Overwatch aim penalty so you can find the first pod, set up OW, then take out the most threatening troop first and the rest should fall to the Overwatch shots. Then it becomes a lot easier to hit the objective. Mind you, I save-scummed the FUCK out of the early game.

I just dropped to the easiest difficulty because it was the only way I was going to learn/enjoy it. Will do a tougher play through or do Long War after maybe.

The difficulty has weird spikes though. Some missions I'm shitting on, then a random mission will near kill 2-3 of my troops. Plus there's just some silly stuff. Like you can accidentally set off a second pod, but you've just thrown a grenade right where they're coming from which might have maybe tipped them off moreso than someone 10 squares away from them. Or you shoot an alien then jump down to where they were and suddenly there was another pod down there. 

• 4 months later...

New expansion coming, as announced today. As much as I'm sick of zombies and zombie-like creatures in games, the fact that they attack both the humans and aliens could make for some really interesting new strategic possibilities. The original XCOM 2 story also wasn't anything to be celebrated, so it's not as if there's anything sacred in the narrative department that will be ruined.