WCW 1996

Liam

IPB Image

What would have happened if WCW hadn't have taken the dive, and bought Nash and Hall into their company? What would have happened if WCW hadn't have turned Hulk Hogan heel at Bash At The Beach, and Hogan didn't go “Hollywood”? How would WCW have bridged the big gap that had been formed between there product, and WWF's? Where would they have gone, with an ageing roster, and seemingly no game plan?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1995, WCW had had a topsy turvy year, for lack of better words.With Hulk Hogan, Sting, Vader and many other top stars in, the year could have been one where WCW bridged the gap, but it didn't turn out that way. Over saturation of their big stars, such as Hogan and Macho Man, along with poorly thought out angles such as the Dungeon Of Doom meant that PPV buy rates were up and down across the year, ending with a nice idea in an NJPW/WCW face-off at Starrcade. However, the fans didn't like it, and with One Man Gang and Kensuke Sasaki being the main event, it went down like a lead balloon.

However, we got to see the cream of NJPW and WCW go against each other, and it did show that WCW may have a bright future coming through from there mid and undercard.

Some Results From Starrcade 1995

WCW World Cup: NJPW vs WCW

Jushin Liger (NJ) defeated Chris Benoit (WCW)..

Koji Kanemoto (NJ) defeated Alex Wright (WCW)..

Lex Luger (WCW) defeated Masa Chono (NJ) by Submission..

Johnny B. Badd (WCW) defeated Masa Saito (NJ) by Disqualification..

Shinjiro Ohtani (NJ) defeated Eddie Guerrero (WCW)..

Randy Savage (WCW) defeated Hiroyoshi Tenzan (NJ)..

Sting (WCW) defeated Kensuke Sasaki (NJ)..

Even though wrestlers like Benoit, Wright and Guerrero lost, whilst their “high-profile” partners got the WCW victories, the fact that they represented WCW showed WCW's faith in them to put on a good show to cap off the year. Also, Starrcade saw the crowning of a new champion, as Ric Flair won a Number One Contendership match against Lex Luger and Sting, before beating Macho Man for the WCW Heavyweight Title. This was Flair's third reign, but his first since 1993, so with a “fresh face” at the top of the tree, along with an incresively impressive undercard of wrestlers, WCW looked like they could have a good 1996. WWF were still miles ahead of WCW in terms of fanbase and popularity, but WCW had the raw materials to definitely challenge WWF in the near future.

Also important in WCW's resurgence was the debut of WCW Monday Nitro. WCW's new flagship show went against WWF's idea of putting on lots of high profile wrestlers squashing jobber style matches, by giving away PPV quality matches for free, to drag the fans into the product. Starting on September the 4th 1995, the first Nitro saw Brian Pillman beat Jushin Liger in a Crusierweight showcase, Ric Flair battle Sting, and Hulk Hogan overcome Big Bubba Rogers, before Lex Luger made his WCW debut, facing up to Hulk Hogan after his victory. In the weeks to follow, Nitro saw matches such as Huk Hogan vs Lex Luger, Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson, Sting vs Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan vs Sting, all matches that legitamately could have took place on PPV. But, in doing this, WCW were beginning to generate interest in the product, so it was doing its job. Now, all they had to do was keep the standard up on the PPV's, and they would begin to slowly catch up to the WWF.

So where did WCW go from here? Stick to the mainstays of Hogan, Savage, Flair and Sting, or begin to look into thier talented Mid and Lower card wrestlers? Whatever was going to be done, they definitely needed to stop WWF getting away from them in the ratings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WCW 1996 Roster

Main Eventers

Face

Hulk Hogan

Macho Man

Sting

Tweener

Lex Luger

Heel

Ric Flair

The Giant

Upper Card

Face

Jim Duggan

Rick Steiner

Scott Steiner

Heel

Arn Anderson

One Man Gang

Mid Card

Face

Brian Knobbs

Jerry Sags

Johnny B. Badd

Steve McMichael

The Bootyman

The Renegade

Tweener

Animal

Hawk

Konnan

Heel

Belfast Brawler

Big Bubba Rogers

Booker T

Brian Pillman

Chris Benoit

DDP

Lord Steven Regal

Squire David Taylor

Stevie Ray

The Taskmaster

Lower Card

Face

Alex Wright

Buff Bagwell

Disco Inferno

Eddie Guerrero

Ice Train

Madusa

Scott Norton

Scotty Riggs

Heel

Bobby Eaton

Dean Malenko

Johnny Grunge

Michael Wallstreet

Rocco Rock

The Shark

Openers

Face

Al Greene

Brad Armstrong

Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Glacier

Prince Iaukea

Steve Armstrong

Tweener

Kenny Kaos

Psychosis

Robby Rage

Heel

Devon Storm

Hugh Morrus

Jim Powers

Meng

Mike Enos

The Barbarian

Ultimo Dragon

Jobbers

Face

Ace Darling

Mr JL

Rey Mysterio Jr

Tweener

Juventud Guerrera

Heel

Chris Kanyon

Managers & Non Wrestlers

Face

Debra McMichael

Elizabeth

Eric Bischoff

Larry Zybysko

Kimberly

Heel

Jimmy Hart

Sister Sherri

Sonny Onoo

Woman

WCW Title Holders

WCW Heavyweight: Ric Flair

WCW US: One Man Gang

WCW TV: Johnny B. Badd

WCW Tag: Harlem Heat

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: It's doubtful many will remember, but this is my attempt at re-starting my WCW 1996 diary. No, it will not be a direct repost of the few shows I did, as I'm starting from scratch. As for anyone who checks out my TNA diary, it is on hiatus at the moment, as I'm a little bit bored with it, and wanted to head back to a time of wrestlers I literally grew up watching.

Also, my Uni exams and essays are coming up soon. I can't guarantee regular updating for the time being, but will try as best I can.

Lastly, I'm using EWR, as it is just a whole hell of a lot quicker and easier for diary purposes.

Edited by HGwannabe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remembered to reply this time :shifty:

Seeing the results to the World Cup, it was a fucking travesty to see shit like Luger and Savage going over Tenzan and Chono. Hopefully the New Japan guys stick around, as without the nWo they need something to set them apart from the WWE and New Japan could do just that. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for you to establish several new stars, considering the glass ceiling should have a pretty high overness in EWR and jobbing out the old guys could piss them off immensely. Still, despite the stagnant main event you've got one hell of an undercard to work with so hopefully in a few months there should be a few new stars working their way towards the World title.

Hey RVDwannabe! Just started a WCW 96 game myself but I won't be typing it up as a diary. Only things I changed to yours looks like was bringing Nash and Hall in so I can recreate the initial NWO storyline in sync with real life events (ie. Nash/Hall attacking Bischoff at the GAB PPV) but then not mess it up afterwards with the midcarders joining. I'll be really interested to see how yours pans out compared to mine!

IPB Image

WCW Monday Nitro Preview (01/01/1996)

Happy New Year to all, from WCW!

In the last week of December, we've had a flurry of title changes, including most importantly, Ric Flair winning the WCW World Title at Starrcade. With this being his first title reign in two years, you can bet that Flair will have something to say come Nitro. But who will step up to be the next challenger? Sting, Macho Man, Hulk Hogan and many others are after a shot, but who will get the nod?

We will also see Johnny B. Badd defend his TV title, as he will battle Hugh Morrus, one of the Dungeon Of Doom henchmen. Can Badd overcome this challenge, or will the Dungeon be celebrating come the end of Nitro? We all know he will have to have one eye on Morrus, and the other on the rest of the Dungeon.

In a night of title matches, One Man Gang will defend his US Title against Alex Wright, "Das Wunderkid". Wright is only young, but has impressed recently with his performances, especially in a losing effort against Koji Kanemoto at Starrcade, so much so that he has been rewarded with this title shot. However, with the One Man Gang on a winning streak, who knows how much of a reward it could be for Wright?

With more wrestlers in action including Steven Regal, Rey Mysterio Jr., Juventud Guerrera amongst others, we are looking to kick off the new year in style! Tune in, or miss out!

---------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Ok, so I posted up the first preview from my last diary, as I'm pretty much sticking with the same first Nitro card, so it works for me. Other than this, nothing else will be copied over from it.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Well, I was exicited when I noticed you had brought this back, I was actually considering bringing mine back as well (although, it wouldn't have gone over well :P)

Anywho, I used to check over it the last time you did this...I'll do it again, hopefully more often then just check over, and I'll try to toss some feedback your way as well.

Good luck.

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 01/01/96

The fireworks and pyro go off as we begin the first Nitro of the year!

Tony Schiavone: Good evening and welcome to Monday Nitro! Tonight we will see three title matches, as the US, TV and Tag Team titles are all put up for grabs. And we'll surely hear from the new champion, Ric Flair at some point in the night.

Eric Bischoff: We've got a packed house, and what better way to start the show than to head to the ring for some Crusierweight action!

Rey Mysterio vs Juventud Guerrera

Both men received warm welcomes from the audience in attendance, with the crowd just slightly more behind Mysterio. This was your typically slick WCW Crusierweight match, with an initial plancha from Guerrera matched seconds later by a Mysterio dive to the outside, and several over high flying spots to wow the crowds. Guerrera took control for the most part, using his power to keep Mysterio grounded and under control. The end came when Mysterio was able to wriggle out of a Juvi Driver attempt, and nail a quick huracanrana and pin to shock Guerrera enough to grab the quick 1,2,3. Guerrera looked stunned by how quickly the match was turned around, but offered his hand to Mysterio, who shook it.

Winner: Rey Mysterio

Rating: 62%

Schiavone: What a way to kick off the New Year for Nitro! Mysterio picks up the win and a nice show of sportsmanship at the end their.

Bischoff: C'mon, when the man just beat you, you don't want to be shaking his hand.

Schiavone: It's called respect.

Bischoff: I call it stupid.

The Champ Is Here

“Alzo Spracht Zarathustra” hits the PA system as Ric Flair, in a blue gown and with the World Title strapped around his waist, comes down to the ring. The crowd boo him mercilessly, as he takes time to talk smack with the crowd at ringside, before getting into the ring. He has a microphone in his hand.

Flair: WOOOH! It's great to be back where I belong, back at the top of the pile as THE champion of WCW. It has been while since I was able to walk around with this belt around my waist, but we all know that it was only a hiatus before this baby came right back to it's rightful owner! Not only is it a beautiful sight to behold, but the fact that I went through Sting, Lex Luger and Randy Savage in one night just shows the world exactly why I am the best wrestler walking this earth!

The camera pans to the rampway as Sting's music hits the PA system, leading the crowd to errupt as Sting makes his way down to ringside.

Sting: Woah, woah, woah. You may have gone through us three, but don't forget that you didn't actually pin my shoulders to the mat or even make me submit. You can stand there all you want, but you know as much as I do that I deserve the first shot at your title!

Flair: It doesn't matter how I got the victory, I just out-smarted you both, you and Luger, and the belt I hold in my hand proves that. You can go back to the bottom of the ladder, and start your way back up to the top, as I've already shown the world that I can beat you.

The camera again moves to the rampway, as this time it is Lex Luger's music that hits the PA system. Luger gets a more mixed response than both Flair and Sting, with the crowd not sure whether to cheer him or boo him.

Luger: Sting, I appreciate that you only have eyes for the gold around Flair's waist, but don't forget that on his way through to defeating Savage, he didn't beat me cleanly either! You may want to be his first challenger, but I have as much right as you do, and I'm staking my claim for a shot right now.

Flair: Don't you get it? I beat you both, and I could do it again as and when I want to! Luger, you should be back jerking the curtain at the start of the show rather than mixing it with me again! But....as you both seem so certain that you deserve a title shot against me, I'll give it to you (points at Luger, to which the crowd cheer).....if you beat him (points to Sting, as the crowd boo at what Flair is insinuating). And Sting, if you want it so bad, guess you are going to have to go through your little buddy over there (points back at Luger). Whoever is left standing after that....well, I'll be more than happy to beat them again!

Luger and Sting look at each other with steely eyed determination, before Luger turns and leaves the ring. Sting takes one last look at Flair and the belt, and leaves the ring himself. Flair postures for the crowd for a little while longer to boos of derision, before heading to the back.

Rating: 100%

Schiavone: Woah, it looks like we are going to have Sting vs Luger for the chance to challenge for Ric Flair's WCW Heavyweight title, hear tonight on Nitro!

Bischoff: Flair would beat them both, Tony...that guy is a wrestling machine!

Schiavone: I wouldn't count either Sting or Luger out of it so easily.

Lord Steven Regal vs The Bootyman

The crowd are solidly behind the Bootyman, and Regal seems less than impressed with the Bootyman's attire or his pandering to the crowd. Regal is initially taken off guard by the Bootyman coming out of the blocks quickly, hitting him with a clothesline and a dropkick before Regal rolled to the floor to recuperate. A eye rake puts Regal in control, who then begins to use kicks, punches and stretches to really work over the Bootyman. Aside from a short comeback from the Bootyman, which is curtailed with a low blow, Regal is just too much, eventually taking the submission victory with the Regal Stretch. Just to add insult to injury, Regal holds onto the stretch after the submission, as the ref tries to get him off, finally letting go after another few seconds.

Winner: Lord Steven Regal

Rating: 68%

Bischoff:Now thats what I like! The Bootyman won't be running around and shaking himself for a little while after that.

Schiavone: I don't like him, but that was a pretty clinical victory by Regal. Next, we'll see the TV title up for grabs as Hugh Morrus goes up against the champion, Johnny B Badd.

WCW TV Title Match

Johnny B. Badd © vs Hugh Morrus

Badd is clearly the fan favourite, and they go wild for his entrance, especially as he shoots confetti into the crowd. Morrus doesn't look in the mood to be fooling around, however, and after an initial flurry from Badd to start the match off, Morrus takes Badd to the ringside and smashes him into the ringpost and guardrails. With control of the match, Morrus begins to use his power based offense, dropping Badd with a powerbomb and a powerslam, both getting near falls. A missed splash off the top rope in an attempt at an uncharacteristic high flying move from Morrus allows Badd to take control. With Morrus in bad shape, The Shark hits the ring to help his Dungeon Of Doom stablemate, grabbing Badd whilst on the apron. However, Badd ducks an attempted charge from Morrus, leaving Morrus to collide with The Shark! Morrus stumbles back, and is planted with the Kiss That Don't Miss to give Badd the 1,2,3!

Winner: Johnny B Badd

Rating: 63%

Bad News For Badd

As Badd is handed his title in the ring, whilst Morrus and The Shark argue on their way back to the locker room, Steven Regal slides into the ring and begins to pummel away on a tired Badd, who offers little resistance. Dropping Badd with a piledriver, Regal synches in the Regal Stretch, as the crowd boo their disapproval. Finally letting go, Regal grabs a microphone to address a limp Badd.

Regal: Now I've been here long enough and held my tongue, but people like you are bloody pissing me off! What is this place turning into....a circus? Earlier, I had to fight someone who has an infatuation with shaking his rump everywhere, what happened to real wrestlers, real talent? Look at this match I just sat and watched...we had a man who thinks he is a shark interfering in a match with an obvious male deviant who represents the WCW as our World TV Champion, how bloody preposterous! But, no longer. I've worked my way from the docks of Blackpool, England to the WCW, and I'm not going to have a piece of work like you hold a title that I've held dear to my heart for years now. The term “former TV champion” has hung around my neck for too long, and I'll break you in two to reclaim what is rightfully mine. And take off the bloody make-up!

Regal drops the microphone and leaves the ring, the crowd unimpressed with his actions.

Rating: 76%

Schiavone: Regal seems to be showing a bit of a mean streak with the match earlier, and now this. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when Badd catches up to him.

Bischoff: Well, maybe, but Badd doesn't look too clever at the moment.

Schiavone: It is easy enough when you attack someone from behind after a match, wait till Badd gets his chance face to face.

WCW US Title Match

One Man Gang © vs Alex Wright

With Alex Wright gifted this match after his performance at Starrcade 1995, many thought that he may be able to grab a upset. However, it was not to be, as One Man Gang crushed Wright in a glorified squash, blocking a german suplex attempt early on by backing into the turnbuckles. A couple of avalanches, a bodyslam and a big splash later, and One Man Gang had retained his title.

Winner: One Man Gang

Schiavone: Ouch, Wright put up a valiant effort, but One Man Gang was just too strong. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Wright in the future though.

Bischoff: One Man Gang is unstoppable, will anyone take the US title off of him?

Schiavone: It definitely will take some effort, but we have a roster full of talented wrestlers who I'm sure will see the US title as the next step up. The same can be said for the WCW Tag Team Title, as next we see Harlem Heat defend against one of the many talented teams on our roster, The Faces Of Fear.

WCW Tag Team Title Match

Harlem Heat © vs The Faces Of Fear

The crowd don't seem to be too much into either of these sides, with Harlem Heat and Sister Sherri getting most of the boos. A battle of two juggernauts, with both teams power canceling each other out for the most part. It is only when Booker T and Stevie Ray begin to use their speed advantage that the match begins to swing their way. Eventually, Meng catches Barbarian by mistake with a superkick, and as Stevie Ray clotheslined Meng out of the ring, Booker T lands the Harlem Hangover to give the Heat the victory, and retain their titles.

Winner: Harlem Heat

Rating 68%

Schiavone: The Dungeon Of Doom aren't having the best of times.First, the Shark and Hugh Morrus clash, and now Meng costs their team a shot at the Tag Team Titles.

Bischoff: The Taskmaster must be livid right now, as his stable has really dropped the ball tonight.

Hogan Taken By Surprise

Hulk Hogan's music hits the PA system, as the crowd erupt to Hogan's arrival at the top of the ramp. He makes his way down to the ring, before indulging himself in showing off several of his poses to the crowd, who lap it up. Ripping off his shirt, Hogan reaches over the top rope and grabs a microphone.

Hogan: Well you know something brother, all these people have come out talking abut being the first challenger against Flair for the WCW World Title, and people seem to have forgotten about me! You know I want it, and you know all the Hulkamaniacs will be happy when I drop the big leg on Flair and win the title once again. All Flair has to do is name a time and a place, and we'll collide, brother, because the belt will eventually find its way back around my waist. Sting, Luger...they're both great competitors, but whether either of them beat Flair, or he still is the champion when the time comes, they all know that I'm waiting in line for my shot, and I will get it. And when I do...

The lights cut, plunging the arena into darkness and cutting Hogan off mid-sentence. The lights remain off for a few seconds, until a small red spotlight shines on the top of the rampway. A rotating symbol appears on the screen in what appears to be a different language. Hogan looks confused by this, and as the lights come back on, is still staring at where the spotlight had been pointing. Handing the microphone back to the announcers, Hogan doesn't even finish what he had started to say, and looks mightily perturbed.

Rating: 99%

Bischoff: I've never Hogan so worried in his life!

Schiavone: Oh come off it, he just looked confused, as would anybody with what just happened. Who or what was that all about?

Randy Savage vs Brad Armstrong

A squash. Armstrong goes toe to toe initially,but can't handle Savage's mile-a-minute offense, going down in pretty short order to the top rope elbowdrop. As Savage celebrates in the ring, he looks into the camera and mouths “the title will be back around my waist soon”, before leaving the ring.

Winner: Randy Savage

Rating: 59%

Schiavone: Seems that Savage wants the shot at Flair just like everyone else.

Bischoff: Yeah, but Flair beat Savage for the title, he doesn't deserve anything!

Schiavone: Surely the champion deserves a re-match?

Bischoff: Not in Flair's eyes, especially as we head to the Main Event....Sting vs Lex Luger, for the shot at Ric Flair's title. Note how Savage isn't even getting that chance!

Main Event

Sting vs Lex Luger

The crowd seem firmly behind Sting in this match, though Lex Luger does get a fair share of applause from the crowd on his entrance. The two look tentative to lock up, and the first minutes are spent feeling each other out, as neither really gets the advantage, a test of strength going back and forth before they break it up. Luger is the first to take the advantage, as he dodges a Sting dropkick, leaving Sting to crash back down to the mat. Luger begins to work over the back of Sting, in preparation for the Torture Rack, dropping Sting in a backbreaker and whipping him hard into the buckle several times. A charge into the corner from Luger is blocked by a Sting boot, who then drops Luger with a bulldog. Chops, punches and a splash off the top rope end up giving Sting a near fall, with Luger just kicking out before the three. Luger gets whipped to the turnbuckle in set up for the Stinger Splash, but moves out of the way. As Sting rebounds, Luger whips him into the ropes, misses a forearm strike and as Sting comes back, they collide with a double clothesline, leaving them both down and out. As they slowly begin to stir, and the referee begins to count, The Giant runs down to the ring! Stepping over the top rope, The Giant drops both men as they get up with huge chokeslams, leaving the ref no option but to throw the match out as a no contest. The Giant is left standing tall in the ring as Sting and Luger are out on the canvas.

Winner: No Contest

Rating: 83%

Schiavone: So who is the number one contender?!

Bischoff: Maybe we are looking at him?

Schiavone: Ladies and gentleman, we've ran out of time, good night.

----------------------------------------------------------

TV Rating: 6.50

Card Rating: 74%

Edited by HGwannabe

I been looking forward to reading this, And I enjoyed Nitro. I have two small nit picks though, Bischoff seemed to come off heelish at times, Even though he was a babyface announcer. Also, He didn't trash the WWF once. And, Mysterio/Guerrera weren't in WCW yet, But that's more of the scenario's fault. I'm glad you opened up with a hot cruiserweight match up. Also, Alex Wright got squashed, Well, That's more of a Wright fan just bitching. But still, I hope you have better stuff planned for Wright than him getting squashed. Anyways, The show was good, I enjoyed the matches too. I'm a fan for everyone wanting a shot at Flair, And that should make the world title picture pretty hot. Regal going back into the TV division is good, Though, I think you should have made him mention he held the title before, As it seemed he was talking about winning it for the first time. I'm excited in seeing what you'll do with Regal. And I'm also interested in seeing who interrupted Hogan. Looking forward to reading more shows. (Y)

Alright, you're going to hate me because I'm nitpicking here. You've got some wrestlers on the roster that haven't debuted yet or in gimmicks that haven't started yet. The Bootyman gimmick wasn't around yet and at this point he was most definitely still the Zodiak (I remember the Zodiak coming in after the Clash of Champions main event to be beat up by Hogan and Kevin Green). I am pretty sure Hugh Morrus hasn't debuted(arrived in June-ish, I think). The Steiner Brothers didn't debut until February or so. Rey Misterio debuted in June and Juvi debuted in September -- so this would have been their first match in WCW. I'm pretty sure there was a few other guys that you jumped the gun on. I just found it harder to get into the diary when alignments, rosters and storylines weren't quite accurate. Plus why is Bischoff a heel? Why isn't he commentating with Mongo and the Brain? Oh yeah, Kimberly should be with Badd who was feuding with DDP.

At this time, I'd say WCW would be very close in Public Image with the WWF. They traded Monday Night ratings back and forth every week it seemed. For the record, One Man Gang v. Kensuke Sasaki was a dark match at the PPV and wasn't considered the main event. Only the paying audience saw the match and I think it was later aired on an episode of the Main Event. WCW wasn't even acknowledging OMG as the champ yet.

What happend to the promised #1 contenders match for the tag titles?

The style of WCW didn't really seem to fit early 1996 either. At the time, almost all interview would have been conducted by Mean Gene. The wrestler coming to the ring to do an 'on the fly' interview didn't start happening until the nWo. Matches being booked for the evening on the fly also didn't start happening until later in the year or even maybe early '97. That type of storytelling and angles is a very new concept to wrestling. You basically had a cutting edge show here. The announcers should have really pumped up the fact that guys were just showing up out of nowhere to cut promos by themselves. And that matches were being booked on the fly. At the time, fans were used to the entire line up being set for the evening.

I did like the stories. I like the fact that the main event scene is cluttered with a bunch of guys wanting a title shot. It should lead to some interesting story telling. I like a the TV title push for Regal but don't forget he is partners with Bobby Eaton at this point. I believe Taylor joins the group very close to this time too. Another thing, Finlay hasn't debuted yet and when he did, he had a goal of taking out Regal (of course, you can go any direction you want). Hopefully, Pillman and the other Horsemen won't be forgotten either. Actually at this time, Horsemen were having troubles with the Dungeon due to Pillman's mouth. Though they also sort of had an alliance since Hart helped Flair pin Savage for the title. Hopefully, you explore those aspects too.

Anyway, a good first show. Sorry for being such a stickler for detials. In a few weeks, it won't matter anyway since you'll have taken things in a new direction. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things.

I been looking forward to reading this, And I enjoyed Nitro. I have two small nit picks though, Bischoff seemed to come off heelish at times, Even though he was a babyface announcer. Also, He didn't trash the WWF once. And, Mysterio/Guerrera weren't in WCW yet, But that's more of the scenario's fault. I'm glad you opened up with a hot cruiserweight match up. Also, Alex Wright got squashed, Well, That's more of a Wright fan just bitching. But still, I hope you have better stuff planned for Wright than him getting squashed. Anyways, The show was good, I enjoyed the matches too. I'm a fan for everyone wanting a shot at Flair, And that should make the world title picture pretty hot. Regal going back into the TV division is good, Though, I think you should have made him mention he held the title before, As it seemed he was talking about winning it for the first time. I'm excited in seeing what you'll do with Regal. And I'm also interested in seeing who interrupted Hogan. Looking forward to reading more shows. (Y)

I'm not going to reply to all bits of feedback, but I'll do it this first time. I did some research, and for some reason could only find who announced up to 1995, and then from 1997 onwards, so I personally decided on Schiavone and Bischoff (who were listed as from 1997, I believe). Plus, I needed someone a little less neutral, and with Schiavone pretty much always a face, I just used Bischoff as someone a little more heel-ish, though not out and out heel, he was just a bit more snidy to Schiavone's straight man. Mysterio and Guerrera was the first match I did last time, so I kinda just stuck with it....no-one pointed it out last time, so I assumed they were in it last time.....especially since as far as I'm aware, the scenario is your one :P

Oh, and Regal mentions how he was former champion, and wants to get rid of that tag.

Alright, you're going to hate me because I'm nitpicking here. You've got some wrestlers on the roster that haven't debuted yet or in gimmicks that haven't started yet. The Bootyman gimmick wasn't around yet and at this point he was most definitely still the Zodiak (I remember the Zodiak coming in after the Clash of Champions main event to be beat up by Hogan and Kevin Green). I am pretty sure Hugh Morrus hasn't debuted(arrived in June-ish, I think). The Steiner Brothers didn't debut until February or so. Rey Misterio debuted in June and Juvi debuted in September -- so this would have been their first match in WCW. I'm pretty sure there was a few other guys that you jumped the gun on. I just found it harder to get into the diary when alignments, rosters and storylines weren't quite accurate. Plus why is Bischoff a heel? Why isn't he commentating with Mongo and the Brain? Oh yeah, Kimberly should be with Badd who was feuding with DDP.

At this time, I'd say WCW would be very close in Public Image with the WWF. They traded Monday Night ratings back and forth every week it seemed. For the record, One Man Gang v. Kensuke Sasaki was a dark match at the PPV and wasn't considered the main event. Only the paying audience saw the match and I think it was later aired on an episode of the Main Event. WCW wasn't even acknowledging OMG as the champ yet.

What happend to the promised #1 contenders match for the tag titles?

The style of WCW didn't really seem to fit early 1996 either. At the time, almost all interview would have been conducted by Mean Gene. The wrestler coming to the ring to do an 'on the fly' interview didn't start happening until the nWo. Matches being booked for the evening on the fly also didn't start happening until later in the year or even maybe early '97. That type of storytelling and angles is a very new concept to wrestling. You basically had a cutting edge show here. The announcers should have really pumped up the fact that guys were just showing up out of nowhere to cut promos by themselves. And that matches were being booked on the fly. At the time, fans were used to the entire line up being set for the evening.

I did like the stories. I like the fact that the main event scene is cluttered with a bunch of guys wanting a title shot. It should lead to some interesting story telling. I like a the TV title push for Regal but don't forget he is partners with Bobby Eaton at this point. I believe Taylor joins the group very close to this time too. Another thing, Finlay hasn't debuted yet and when he did, he had a goal of taking out Regal (of course, you can go any direction you want). Hopefully, Pillman and the other Horsemen won't be forgotten either. Actually at this time, Horsemen were having troubles with the Dungeon due to Pillman's mouth. Though they also sort of had an alliance since Hart helped Flair pin Savage for the title. Hopefully, you explore those aspects too.

Anyway, a good first show. Sorry for being such a stickler for detials. In a few weeks, it won't matter anyway since you'll have taken things in a new direction. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things.

I forgot about removing the tag team match from my preview, as I did that last time but it didn't go down well, that was an over-sight by me. I've fixed it now so it isn't in the preview.

With some of the debuts, I'm just going with what the scenario gave me, admittedly...for some reason, late 1995/96 Nitro seemed harder to find info on than most. I'll admit to not seeing Nitro up till later than that, so the interviewing aspect was probably most likely nicked from what I had seen, rather than what I found out (i.e. nothing :P). With the impromptu matches, I actually got some semblance of kudos for that last time, as that seemed to be the way WCW did things :P...but I obviously got in a little bit too early on that one.

Regal is with Eaton and Taylor.

Don't worry, the Horseman haven't been forgotten, but after the shitty response I got to the Dungeon Of Doom last time, I'm just trying to shuffle them along as fast as possible, really. Plus I wasn't aware of the Pillman thing, more that they had been consistently after Hogan.

The anouncer aspect I answered to Hewey.

Thanks for the replies, and it helps me a lot for you to point out aspects that aren't quite right, especially in a time period I got in at the end of more than anything.

Edited by rvdwannabe

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 06/01/96

As WCW Saturday Night fades in, we are reminded of what transpired in the main event on Nitro, before heading to the ring for the first match of the night.

Luger gets whipped to the turnbuckle in set up for the Stinger Splash, but moves out of the way. As Sting rebounds, Luger whips him into the ropes, misses a forearm strike and as Sting comes back, they collide with a double clothesline, leaving them both down and out. As they slowly begin to stir, and the referee begins to count, The Giant runs down to the ring! Stepping over the top rope, The Giant drops both men as they get up with huge chokeslams, leaving the ref no option but to throw the match out as a no contest. The Giant is left standing tall in the ring as Sting and Luger are out on the canvas.

Schiavone: So who is the number one contender?!

Bischoff: Maybe we are looking at him?

Schiavone: Ladies and gentleman, we've ran out of time, good night.

Chris Benoit vs Jason Broyles

Chris Benoit had both Brian Pillman and Arn Anderson in his corner, Pillman spending the majority of the match jaw-jacking with the fans. It was Broyles' first match in WCW, and he left a good impression on the WCW fans as he went toe to toe with one of WCW's finest talents, taking control at the start of the match and matching technical skills with Benoit. Eventually though, the experience of Benoit and the numbers game was telling, as Pillman grabbed a charging Broyles' by the leg from the outside, dropping him to the mat face first and leaving him wide open for the Crippler Crossface, giving him no choice but to submit.

Winner: Chris Benoit

Rating: 59%

With Broyles a prone target on the floor, Pillman decided to add insult to injury, sliding into the ring and putting the boots to him. Broyles tried to fight back and struggle, but any signs that he may take control were cut off as Benoit and Anderson joined in, until he was left laying on the mat once again, a farewell stamp from Pillman garnering quite a few boos from the crowd.

Rating: 83%

Eddie Guerrero vs Prince Iaukea

Both men shook hands before the match, and another debut of someone who showed promise, as Iaukea, after Eddie took control at the start of the match, managed to get back into the match, and almost pulled off an upset victory with a diving headbutt of the top rope! However, an attempted hurcanrana was turned into a vicious powerbomb by Eddie, taking the wind right out of Iaukea, and leaving him easy prey to a brainbuster, followed up by the frog splash to give Eddie the win. Guerrero helped up the beaten Iaukea, who received a round of applause from the crowd for his fighting spirit.

Winner: Eddie Guerrero

Rating: 55%

As Iaukea left the ring, Eddie got onto the turnbuckle to soak up the crowd response and celebrate a little longer. As he got down, he turned around into a kick and Diamond Cutter from DDP, who had snuck into the ring as Eddie celebrated! DDP did the self-high-five whilst standing over the top of the fallen body of Guerrero, as the crowd voiced their displeasure with his actions. Page left the ring, leaving Eddie to slowly come to his senses.

Rating: 84%

The Road Warriors vs High Voltage

Pretty much a squash match, as High Voltage were outmuscled and outclassed by the Road Warriors, only seeing a small amount of offense in the early going of the match. Robbie Rage was laid out with a wicked powerslam from Animal and then chucked to the ringside floor, and Kenny Kaos fared little better, getting dropped with a piledriver from Hawk. A Doomsday Device to Rage gave the Warriors the victory in typically clinical fashion!

Winner: The Road Warriors

Rating: 77%

As The Road Warriors headed up the rampway, they were cut off by Mean Gene looking to get a few words. Gene congratulated them on their win and on how good they looked in the ring tonight, as Hawk and Animal both agreed, saying that they were feeling the best they had for ages, a fresh hunger to win. When Gene asked them what they had in store for the next few weeks, The Road Warriors singled out Harlem Heat and winning the titles again, saying that Harlem Heat wouldn't be able to handle them on their best day.

Rating: 80%

With just the main event left, clips from Nitro are shown, of what happened during Hogan's interview.

Hogan:All Flair has to do is name a time and a place, and we'll collide, brother, because the belt will eventually find its way back around my waist. Sting, Luger...they're both great competitors, but whether either of them beat Flair, or he still is the champion when the time comes, they all know that I'm waiting in line for my shot, and I will get it. And when I do...

The lights cut, plunging the arena into darkness and cutting Hogan off mid-sentence. The lights remain off for a few seconds, until a small red spotlight shines on the top of the rampway. A rotating symbol appears on the screen in what appears to be a different language. Hogan looks confused by this, and as the lights come back on, is still staring at where the spotlight had been pointing. Handing the microphone back to the announcers, Hogan doesn't even finish what he had started to say, and looks mightily perturbed.

The Nasty Boys vs The American Males

The main event of the night saw two of the teams currently vying to move up the ladder and get into contention for a title shot. The crowd were behind both teams, with the Nasty Boys just having the edge in fan response, though this mattered little as the match progressed, with Riggs and Bagwell able to cut off Saggs from his corner, using their speed and quick tags to control the match. A missed crossbody attempt from Bagwell allowed Saggs to make the tag to Knobbs, who came in like a house on fire, with slams and clotheslines for both Riggs and Bagwell. Riggs was pitched to the outside by Saggs, allowing the Nasty Boys enough time to give Bagwell the Pitstop, before a double-arm DDT from Saggs gave the Nasty Boys the big victory.

Winner: The Nasty Boys

Rating: 70%

The camera faded out as The Nasty Boys celebrated in the ring as the crowds applauded for both teams, Riggs and Bagwell looking disconsolate by their loss.

TV Rating: 2.73

Card Rating: 72%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Jason Broyles is the artist soon to be know (in real life) as EZ Money, in case anyone is wondering.

I've decided that this'll be the way I do my Saturday Night shows, as it makes them shorter, and thus means I'm more likely to do them :shifty: Nitro will maintain commentary and interviews also.

As with last time, chances are I will autobook Worldwide, unless I need it to specifically further something. 3 shows a week would definitely see me not getting very far, especially due to all my Uni work.

Edited by rvdwannabe

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 08/01/96

Schiavone: Good evening ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to another Monday Nitro!

Bischoff: Tonight, we will see Sting and Lex Luger out to get revenge against the Giant for his actions last week, as they go against each other in a tag match, but we are yet to know who The Giant has chosen as his partner.

S: After their victory against the former tag team champions The American Males last week on Saturday Night, The Nasty Boys will get a tag team title shot against Harlem Heat.

B: And Johnny B. Badd and The Bootyman will be looking for revenge against Lord Steven Regal, as they take on The Blue Bloods later on tonight.

S: But first, we head to the ring for some crusierweight action!

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Ultimo Dragon

Bouyed by his victory last week against Guerrera, the crowd are fully behind Mysterio as he goes against the more experienced Dragon. Ultimo uses his experience to initially ground Mysterio, working on his back and neck with strikes, kicks and submissions, working him over in preperation for the Dragon Sleeper. A missed missile dropkick allows Rey a way back in, and his attack is its usual impressive nature, as we see a plancha, a wheelbarrow into a bulldog and a tornado DDT getting a near fall. However, Ultimo was able to roll-through and attempted huracanrana into a pin, and locks in the Dragon Sleeper on Mysterio. He struggles against it for a few seconds, but has no option but to tap.

Winner: Ultimo Dragon

As Rey eases himself back to his feet, holding his neck, he offers a congratulatory handshake to Dragon. Looking at the hand that is being offered, Dragon instead slaps Mysterio across the face before leaving him standing stunned in the ring.

Rating: 72%

S: Now that was uncalled for! An otherwise sporting contest marred by Dragon slapping the face of Rey.

B: Not everyone is going to be like Juvi and accept the handshake, and Rey just found that out.

The camera fades out to show some footage that was recorded earlier, as The Taskmaster is seen in a room with The Giant, The One Man Gang and Jimmy Hart. Slowly, Taskmaster begins to look at the camera and starts talking.

The Taskmaster: For far too long, the Dungeon Of Doom has been ineffective, almost to the point of becoming a laughing stock. We've failed in nearly all that we have set out to do, and last week was the perfect example of this. The Shark, Hugh Morrus, Meng, the Barbarian...they all let me down systematically. The Dungeon Of Doom shall no longer be about losers, and it is for this reason that I've got rid of all of their services, retaining only the two men you see standing behind me. I mean, who would want to get rid of the US Title holder, the One Man Gang, and the Giant, a man who is well on his way to the top of this sport.

When the Dungeon first began, we had one main objective, and that was to destroy Hulk Hogan. We may not have succeeded, but don't think I haven't got anymore plans as far as that stands. Hogan....you will eventually fall to the Dungeon, and there is nothing you can do about it!

The Taskmaster begins to laugh maniacally, as The Giant and One Man Gang join in until the camera slowly fades out.

S: The Dungeon Of Doom losing some members, but possibly stronger than ever? I wonder what The Taskmaster has in store for Hulk Hogan

The Blue Bloods vs Johnny B Badd and The Bootyman

The crowd are firmly behind Badd and The Bootyman, especially vocal towards Regal whenever he is in the ring. Regal does his best to stay out of the ring when Badd enters, leaving it to Taylor to shield the anger, until Taylor takes control, in which case Regal sneaks in several times for some cheap shots. The Bootyman gets cut off from his tag partner, as Regal and Taylor use several submissions to stretch him out, but a ducked clothesline and a high knee puts Taylor down, and leaves both men to make the tag to their partners. Badd takes out both Regal and Taylor, and it isn't long until a Kiss That Don't Miss finds Taylor, giving The Bootyman and Johnny B. Badd the win!

Winner: Johnny B. Badd and The Bootyman

Regal tries to attack Badd after the match, but Badd is ready, and lays out Regal with a Kiss That Don't Miss. Reaching into his trunks, Badd plants a plastic kiss on Regal's cheek as the Englishman is laid out in the middle of the ring.

Rating: 66%

B: How embarrassing for Regal!

S: He got what he deserved for his actions last week, though.

B: Yeah, but still....a kiss on the cheek will do nothing but anger Regal. I don't think things are through with these two.

S: You're probably right. Now, we head to the ring for the WCW Tag Team Title match, as The Nastys get a shot against Harlem Heat.

WCW Tag Team Title Match

The Nasty Boys vs Harlem Heat ©

The crowd are clamoring for a title change tonight, as The Nastys get out of the blocks fast, rocking both Stevie Ray and Booker T, sending them to the floor to re-group. The match goes back and forth, and The Nastys almost get the victory and the titles several times, including with the double arm DDT that finished off the American Males on Stevie Ray, only for Booker T to break up the pin. The match degenerated into a pier 6 brawl, and in the confusion, Booker T clocked Jerry Saggs with one of Sister Sherri's shoes, leaving him prey to the scissor kick to give Harlem Heat the win.

Winner: Harlem Heat

Not content with winning the match seemingly, Harlem Heat began to put a beating to The Nastys. Stevie Ray gets handed a chair by Sherri, but just as he is about to do some more damage, The Road Warriors rushed the ring to huge cheers from the crowd. Not wanting to hang around, Harlem Heat get quickly out of the ring, as staredown ensues between both teams.

S: The Road Warriors said they were after the belts, and that was one way to get the champions attentions!

B: Harlem Heat didn't look happy, and you can ensure that they'll have something up their sleeves in the future for the Road Warriors.

Randy Savage vs Bobby Eaton

Similar in vein to his match last week, Savage is just too much for Bobby Eaton, though Eaton puts up more of a fight than Armstrong did. A double axehandle off the top rope, a bodyslam and then the elbowdrop off the top rope give Savage the victory in pretty quick time.

Winner: Randy Savage

As Randy Savage walks up the rampway, Mean Gene heads out to catch some words with him.

Mean Gene: Randy Savage, another clinical victory for you tonight, how does it feel?

Randy Savage: Ohhh yeaaah, the Macho Man is on fire at the moment, and it's all because I wanna get back the title that I had taken from me by Ric Flair. It's just a matter of time and I'll be back holding the titles that I should never have lost in the first place, Gene. All this talk about who should get a shot at the title....I was the champion, and I'm putting myself forward for the re-match that I deserve.

The PA system sparks up as the music of the Four Horseman kicks in to boos from the crowd. Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit walk out onto the stage to seemingly confront the Macho Man.

Arn Anderson: Now, you can keep on talking about how you got cheated out of the match and lost your title, and you can keep talking about how you deserve a title shot all you want, but Ric Flair...he's already beaten you, and why should he have to beat you again? If you want the shot, all you gotta do is climb, bit by bit, up the ladder like everyone else has to do. You don't get any prizes for whining or complaining, and you definitely don't get the Nature Boys' attention!

RS: I may not have got Ric Flairs' attention, but he cares enough to send his stooges out here to confront me, and if I gotta work my way up the ladder again....well, I guess I'll just start with you!

Randy Savage launches himself at Arn Anderson, taking him to the ground and pounding away at his face with punches. Benoit is quick to get to him though, and it is not long before the attack from Savage turns into a two on one beatdown, Anderson planting Savage with a spinebuster up on the top of the ramp, before Benoit locks in the crossface to add insult to injury. The two members of the Four Horseman are left standing over Savage's fallen body, as the crowd boo their dissaproval.

Rating: 84%

S: Savage made a big mistake there in my eyes, it never pays to cross the Four Horseman.

B: True, Schiavone, but he has to have got their attention, and thats all that he wanted. Savage is crazy, who knows how his mind works?

S: Well, his “crazyness” just got him a severe beatdown.

As Mean Gene is still at the top of the ramp, Hulk Hogan's music hits the PA system, as the fans begin to cheer. Hogan makes his way out to where Gene is, seemingly looking a little perturbed.

MG: Hulk, we didn't have any scheduled interview time.

Hulk Hogan: Well you know something Mean Gene....when someone messes around with my head like they did last week during my interview, and then the Taskmaster says that the Dungeon is still trying to crush Hulkamania, then a man, even the Hulkster, is going to be a little put out.

MG: Do you have any idea who interrupted your interview last week?

HH: Brother, I've been wracking my brains for hours the past week, trying to think what it was all about. Does it have anything to do with the Dungeon? Is it someone else looking to take on the Hulkster? Either way, with all the little Hulkamaniacs behind me, I'm more than ready to take on whoever it may be, and when I drop the big leg, I'll once again be standing tall the victor!

The lights cut out like they did last week, but this time, the Taskmaster's music hits the PA system. A red glow in the darkness accompanies his entrance onto the stage, and he grabs the microphone off of Mean Gene.

TT: Hogan, how pathetic you are! You may feel that you can match whatever we throw at you, but you look confused, you look almost....afraid! I'm in your head more than you can ever imagine, or care to admit. Of course last week was my doing, and I'll hold my hand up and fully admit that...but there was a rhyme to my reason. I've scoured the globe, just to find the perfect “present” for you......surprise!

As the glow is removed and the lights turned back on, The Great Muta is standing in front of Hogan!Hogan looks shocked, and Muta spits green mist into Hogan's eyes, leaving Hogan vulnerable to his attack! Muta DDT's Hogan hard on the floor, staying on the floor to stare intensely at the prone body of Hogan as the chilling laugh of the Taskmaster rings through the PA system.

Rating: 64%

S: The Great Muta! Muta has attacked Hogan and left him laying.

B: The Taskmaster has brought the goods with this one, it would seem. Muta looks like a man possessed and he seems to have got his job done for the time being.

S: Hogan will be back, I'm sure, but he has never faced anyone the likes of Muta you would believe. Maybe Hogan has finally met his match?

B: With all this excitement, we are already upon our Main Event. Who will The Giant have as his partner? Maybe it will even be Muta himself?

S: Well, we will find out in next to no time.

Sting and Luger have already made their way down to the ring for the match, but upon the Giant's entrance, they both look a little worried, thoughts hearkening back to the devastating attack from the Giant last week. As The Giant gets into the ring, he waits for his partner.

“Alzo Spracht Zarathustra” hits the PA system as Ric Flair, in a green gown this week and with the World Title strapped around his waist, comes down to the ring, to the seeming surprise of the crowd.

S: Don't tell me Ric Flair has managed to buy off The Giant's support? This can't be right! And Sting and Luger look as confused as I am.

B: The Giant and Ric Flair...what an impressive tandem this could be, Schiavone.

Rating: 91%

Sting and Lex Luger vs Ric Flair and The Giant

Ric Flair postures in the ring for a small while, soaking up the atmosphere of the crowd, as The Giant stands in the corner. Flair removes his gown, and it appears that he'll be starting off for his team, as Sting stands in the ring for his team. The Giant has yet to leave the ring though, and slowly walks up behind Ric Flair. Flair seems to sense his presence, and turns around right into the big baseball glove like hands of The Giant, who then proceeds to chokeslam his partner hard into the mat! The Giant then leaves the ring, and with the bell not even rung, the match is essentially thrown out by default.

With The Giant lumbering back up the rampway, Mean Gene rushes out to try and get a word with him as to why he did what he just did, as a perplexed audience, including Sting and Lex Luger look on.

MG: What was that all about?!

The Giant: Flair thought he could stop me getting to the top and taking his title by paying me off to protect him, but Flair learnt that I can't be trusted the hard way. Luger, Sting, Macho Man and Hulk Hogan amongst others have all said they want the title, but the next contender to the title will be me! Ric Flair, I know I damn near just took your head off, but if you can hear me, or if you need to play back the video of tonight in a few days time, it is simple.....me versus you, for the WCW World Title, Souled Out! I'll wrench that title right out of your scrawny little hands!

Rating: 91%

S: Wow, The Giant has made the challenge for the World Title at Souled Out, what is Flair going to do about it? I guess we'll have to find out next week as we have run out of time.

B: Also, see the debut of UFC superstar Ken Shamrock next week, another major coup for the WCW.

S: Good night everybody.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Card Rating: 76%

TV Rating: 5.47

This week's Nitro was a good follow up to last week's shows, And now, It seems like there's going to be some big things going on. Savage ending up in a feud with Anderson could go over great. I'd definitely love to see what you could do with both men. As for Muta/Hogan, That won't be pretty, But Muta makes a good member of the DOD. I liked the ending, As it made The Giant look totally bad ass, Especially since I was figuring Flair would screw him over. The title situation is hot right now, And I can't wait to see who will get the title shot.

Saturday Night was pretty decent, I'm hoping you'll do more with DDP/Guerrero and give them some time on Nitro, Instead of it just being a SN feud.

Keep up the good work. (Y)

Rant and Review:

The first Nitro was weak, I'll admit, but most are. When starting a diary with a main level fed ala WCW, WWF, WWE, ECW, etc. you have a few ways to go. You can stay very realistic, which in your case involves a cruiser match, a tag match, some midcard squashes, and a decent almost PPV level ME that usually ends in shenanagins, or go unrealistic and load the card up. You went with realism, and it worked fine, but it isn't exactly the most exciting thing to read exactly. That won't come until you're a ways in and you start developing your own real storylines across the board and we get a feel for who will be the ones to watch in your diary. So while I say it was weak, it wasn't bad. For a first show I have grown to expect weak. Additional thoughts:

-I like the loaded ME scene for Flair's title. Flair, Sting, Luger, Hogan, Giant, and one would expect and assume Savage. A nice group and you should be able to put on some stellar matches. People say that WCW sucked at this time, and a lot of it did, but when you have Luger, Flair, Sting, and Savage in the ME scene, with Pillman and AA in the slot just below you get some killer matches. Even I can ignore The Giant and Hogan with the wrestling those six can provide. And yes I said Luger. He wasn't as good as he was in the late 80's early 90's, but he wasn't the load and lump he became from mid 98 until today either.

-Regal is a god, as we all know. I kinda wish the Former TV Champion could become the current US Champion. With that said, I am mostly curious to see who gets that pivotal push and takes the belt away from OMG.

-Your Regal sounded great, your Hogan and Sting were good, your Luger was fine, but your Flair struck me as off for some reason.

Nitro Grade is a C-

I have a feeling I won't be commenting WCWSN much at all. The Nasty Boys vs The American Males in the ME is fine, but it's not exactly Sting/Luger yannow? Plus, I love me some squashes, but there's only so much that can be commented on. For what it was it was good though.

WCWSN Grade is a C+

So add Muta to a ME and UM scene that already has Savage, Flair, Sting, Luger, Hogan, The Giant, AA, and Pillman. Minus The Giant and Hogan this is a killer grouping. Sadly we all know Muta will fall to Hogan, but maybe he can get a few up on the Orange Gargoyle before falling. I've probably already harped on it too much, but the calibre of wrestling here is great. This is what WCW needs/needed to rely on to win a ratings war. Yes, they need/needed something huge to hook the fans for good, and the nWo did just that, but they also needed to keep the great wrestling on top. You've got the great wrestling on top, now I look forward to finding out along with you what your hook is going to be. All in all I dug the second Nitro far more than the first. It worked better and I feel as if I'm getting to know the characters a bit more as well as seeing where you are/might be headed. Additional thoughts:

-Remember what I said about your Flair? Add your Sullivan to that and then add the phrase "and was so far off I cringed it was so bad." BLAH!

-Savage and AA on the other hand were perfect. Nice.

-So Hogan can come out for his "impromptu" interview right after Savage gets the shit kicked out of him by AA and The Rabid Wolverine, but he can't come out a minute earlier to help? If I was Savage I'd be more pissed at Hogan than The Horsemen.

Nitro Grade is a B

Good luck, and I look forward to more.

TGC

While I've been quietly reading the shows you've posted so far without replying, I'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier. I KNEW that it was going to be Muta coming in after the Hogan segment on the first Nitro :( Like TGC mentioned, I don't see Muta being the over all winner against Hogan, but I'm hoping you prove us wrong. I still think eventually, The Dungeon willl take Hogan out, as it's not really productive to keep such a bad influence like Hulk around for longer than absolutely needed.

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 13/01/96

As the cameras fade in to WCW Saturday Night, we are shown the end of the Monday Nitro show, as the Giant made his push for a WCW World Title shot.

The Giant has yet to leave the ring though, and slowly walks up behind Ric Flair. Flair seems to sense his presence, and turns around right into the big baseball glove like hands of The Giant, who then proceeds to chokeslam his partner hard into the mat! The Giant then leaves the ring, and with the bell not even rung, the match is essentially thrown out by default.

With The Giant lumbering back up the rampway, Mean Gene rushes out to try and get a word with him as to why he did what he just did, as a perplexed audience, including Sting and Lex Luger look on.

MG: What was that all about?!

The Giant: Flair thought he could stop me getting to the top and taking his title by paying me off to protect him, but Flair learnt that I can't be trusted the hard way. Luger, Sting, Macho Man and Hulk Hogan amongst others have all said they want the title, but the next contender to the title will be me! Ric Flair, I know I damn near just took your head off, but if you can hear me, or if you need to play back the video of tonight in a few days time, it is simple.....me versus you, for the WCW World Title, Souled Out! I'll wrench that title right out of your scrawny little hands!

Before heading to the ring for the first match of the night.

Brian Pillman vs Ace Darling

Pillman is on the receiving end of much disapproval from the fans, but seems to be enjoying it as much as anything, taking time out to verbally spar with some of the fans at ringside. Darling puts up a spirited effort for the most part, but Pillman is vicious, going to the balls and the eyes several times without the ref seeing and taking every cheap shot in the book. After a short comeback from Darling, Pillman picks up the win with another hard lowblow and a flying crossbody.

Winner: Brian Pillman

Seemingly not content with just winning, Pillman begins to put the boots to Darling, as a chorus of boos echo around the arena. Hanging Darling up in a tree of woe, Pillman continues to put the boots to him until Jason Broyles races down to the ring, seemingly looking for revenge for Pillman and the Horseman's brutalities last week. They brawl for a small bit, but just as Broyles gets the upper hand, Pillman thumbs him in the eye and quickly rolls out of the ring to avoid anymore fighting. Broyles stares in disdain as Pillman leaves, before helping a groggy Darling down.

Rating: 53%

As Broyles leaves, Mean Gene tries to grab a few words with him about why he had helped out Darling. Broyles mentions that not only was he out for retribution based on the attack last week, but was also sick and tired of Pillman believing he could do whatever he wanted to just because he was a Horseman member. Broyles finishes the interview promising to get retribution.

Rating: 52%

The Suicide Blondes vs The Armstrongs

Next on Saturday Night, we saw the debut of a new team in WCW of Adam Copeland and Christian Cage, the Suicide Blondes, as they went up against WCW mainstays The Armstrongs. The Blondes seemed keen to impress the fans, and their fast and crisp offense was well received, isolating Steve Armstrong with a nice mixture of high flying moves and submissions. With Brad managing to get the tag, he was on the receiving end of more offense, including a beautiful multi-storey suplex off the top rope which would have got the pin if Steve didn't break it up at 2. However, it wasn't long before Cage knocked Steve out to the floor, allowing Copeland to pick up a win with a tiger bomb. An impressive debut from the Suicide Blondes, and the fans seemed suitably impressed.

Winner: The Suicide Blondes

Rating: 60%

The camera cuts to the backstage area, as Mean Gene interviewed Eddie Guerrero. Guerrero says that he was less than impressed about Diamond Dallas Page's attack last week, and that he expected more from Page rather than to jump him from behind like a coward. Guerrero challenged Page to a match on Nitro so he could get his chance for revenge, and also tells Gene that he'll be in Chavo Guerrero Jr's corner for his main event match tonight against Page.

Rating: 79%

Ice Train vs Dean Malenko

In what was basically a David vs Goliath contest, the powerful Ice Train tried his best to use his strength to his advantage, dropping Malenko with several throws and a bone shaking powerslam that almost got the 3 count. Malenko was able to avoid an avalanche in the corner, and began to target the legs with holds and stretches. With the big man struggling on his injured legs, Malenko took him down with an impressive german suplex before locking in the Texas Cloverleaf for an impressive win.

Winner: Dean Malenko

Scott Norton vs Mike Enos

However, Ice Train's occasional tag team partner fared better, as Norton was clinical in his demolition of Enos. Enos was able to keep away from Norton at the start of the match, and tried to hit and move, but as soon as Norton caught him, he was dropped with a hard slam variation, driving the air out of his body. Norton levelled him with a couple more power moves, including a mighty powerbomb before covering to get the three count.

Winner: Scott Norton

Rating: 58%

Before the main event, we were shown further events from Nitro, as The Great Muta attacked Hulk Hogan.

The Taskmaster: Hogan, how pathetic you are! You may feel that you can match whatever we throw at you, but you look confused, you look almost....afraid! I'm in your head more than you can ever imagine, or care to admit. Of course last week was my doing, and I'll hold my hand up and fully admit that...but there was a rhyme to my reason. I've scoured the globe, just to find the perfect “present” for you......surprise!

As the glow is removed and the lights turned back on, The Great Muta is standing in front of Hogan!Hogan looks shocked, and Muta spits green mist into Hogan's eyes, leaving Hogan vulnerable to his attack! Muta DDT's Hogan hard on the floor, staying on the floor to stare intensely at the prone body of Hogan as the chilling laugh of the Taskmaster rings through the PA system.

S: The Great Muta! Muta has attacked Hogan and left him laying.

Chavo Guerrero Jr (w/ Eddie Guerrero) vs Diamond Dallas Page

DDP definitely seemed put off by Eddie's presence at ringside, as Chavo was able to take advantage early on, DDP paying more attention to the angry latino in his corner. Chavo used his speed, dropping DDP with a tilt-a-whirl headscissors and a missile dropkick, before an attempted Tornado DDT was blocked, DDP throwing Chavo hard off the top rope! DDP began to slowly work away on Chavo, but he still couldn't take his focus away from Eddie. After nailing Chavo with a discus lariat, DDP was distracted by Eddie, who jumped up onto the apron. DDP went for a clothesline, but Eddie dropped back to the floor, as Chavo grabbed DDP from behind and rolled him up! DDP was just able to get out of the count before the 3, though, and ducking a clothesline from Chavo allowed him to boot him hard in the stomach, and then drop him with the Diamond Cutter for the 3 count.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page

DDP is left little time to celebrate, as Eddie enters the ring and they come face to face. They trade insults, before DDP swings a punch only to see it blocked by Eddie, who responds with a few of his own. One clothesline later, and DDP is over the top rope and to the floor. As the cameras fade out, Eddie is standing in the ring watching a battered DDP slink away back up the ramp.

Rating: 69%

Card Rating: 63%

TV Rating: 2.79

Edited by liamwannabe

Another diary I read that I missed an update on recently :(

Not a bad edition of Saturday Night this time around. I liked the Chavo/DDP ME, although it's a shame Chavo seemed to take a backseat to the Eddie/DDP situation. Hopefully he breaks away from Eddie soon and tries to carve his own persona, that in no way shape or form goes anywhere near to some of the stuff he really did in WCW. The Broyles/Pillman feud should bring about some really good matches, and some great mic work from both parties to back it up. And lastly, a low key debut for The Suicide Blondes should hopefully start a slow burning rise for them to become a staple in the tag division leading into the coming year or so. I can't wait to see what you do with them, considering the different eras they had in real life throughout the WWF/E.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, the only member of WCW on an open contract, Johnny B. Badd, has signed a written contract with the WWF. We had been in discussion with Badd for a month before this had happened about a new contract, but he has decided to reject ours and sign one offered by them.

As of now, this leaves the WCW TV Title, that Badd held at the time of his departure, vacant.

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 15/01/96

The pyro goes off as we fade in for another WCW Monday Nitro!

Schiavone: Hello and welcome everybody to Monday Nitro, and what a show we have ahead of us. In the Main Event tonight we will see Sting and Lex Luger go up against the team of The Giant and The Great Muta, and you can be certain Ric Flair will be keeping an eye on that match.

Bischoff: We will also see Hulk Hogan in action, but how prepared will he be after the beating he took last week at the hands of Muta.

Schiavone: But first, we'll be heading to the ring to see a very talented newcomer debuting for us here at WCW as Chris Jericho faces off against Juventud Guerrera, lets head to the ring!

Chris Jericho vs Juventud Guerrera

Jericho seemed up for this match, and ready to impress the fans in attendance, and he wore down Juventud to begin with, using a couple of nasty backbreakers to soften him up for his Liontamer boston crab, but as Jericho went for the pin, he seemed more and more annoyed at not getting the victory. This attitude cost him, as a complaining session with the referee lasted a bit too long, and Guerrera dropped him hard with a superkick to the back of the head. One Juvi Driver and 450 Splash later, and Jericho had lost his debut.

Winner: Juventud Guerrera

With little time given to his celebrations, Guerrera was blindsided by Ultimo Dragon, who began to put the boots to him in the corner. Rey Mysterio appeared to try and assist Guerrera much to the crowds happiness, but this was shortlived as Jericho pounced on the on-rushing Mysterio as he entered the ring. Jericho dropped the smaller Mysterio with a nasty powerbomb as Dragon continued to stomp away on Guerrera, leaving him crumpled in the corner.

Schiavone: Guerrera and Mysterio have both taken a beating tonight, and Jericho was quick to show his colours.

Bischoff: Even though he did jump Mysterio, it was a pretty good debut from the youngster.

Schiavone: I'll give him that much.

Eddie Guerrero's music hits the PA system, and the crowd are on their feet as he makes his entrance, seemingly in preparation for his match with DDP. However, as DDP's music hits, it seems all is not right, as DDP walks out on crutches with a neckbrace. As he begins to hobble down to the ring, the music cuts out and Mean Gene runs up to try and get a word with him at ringside.

Mean Gene: Diamond Dallas Page, what has happened to you?

DDP: Well Mean Gene, when Eddie Guerrero decided to take the easy way out and jump me like the punk he is last Saturday, he did a lot more damage than was originally believed. Naturally, if the guy had faced me like a man, rather than dropping me with a cheap-shot, we all know he'd be the one on crutches.

MG: But you were fine last Saturday?

DDP: Delayed reactions Gene, delayed reactions...you calling me a liar?

MG: No...but that doesn't justify your complaints about Guerrero jumping you when he was just getting back at you for the week prior to that, when you attacked him.

DDP: Gene, you aren't seriously saying I'd stoop to the level of an Eddie Guerrero to get the job done? Hey, I even wanted to wrestle tonight, to get my own retribution, but my Doctor has stepped in and said I couldn't, nothing I can do about that...but Guerrero, believe me, I will get you back, and I've got someone all lined up to face you now......

Music hits the PA system as Devon Storm heads down to the ring, seemingly handpicked by DDP as his replacement in the match.

Devon Storm vs Eddie Guerrero

Guerrero was naturally thrown off having believed that DDP would be his opponent, and Storm took the initiative. However, as the match progressed, the gulf in experience began to show, and after taking too long to go to the top rope, Storm was dropped with a huge superplex, and it was all downhill from there. Much to DDP's disgust, Storm went down to the frog splash.

Winner: Eddie Guerrero

As Guerrero stood to his feet and the ref grabbed his hand to raise it, he was blindsided by a crutch shot to the back from DDP, breaking the crutch over his back. Guerrero crumpled to the ground, and was the recipient of a few more crutch shots before some agents and officials came down to the ring to stop DDP's onslaught.

Schiavone: DDP was lying all along! What a despicable act, and Guerrero looks like he is struggling to get back to his feet.

Bischoff: He used his brain, Schiavone, and DDP's choice may have lost the match, but DDP is winning the war.

Schiavone: You can bet Guerrero will get his hands on Page further down the road, I don't doubt it for a second.

Three officious looking committee members head down to the ring, with the TV title in their hands. One grabs a microphone and begins to talk.

Committee Member: Due to matters beyond our control, Johnny B. Badd is no longer the WCW TV Champion. With this occurrence, we have spent some time sitting down and working out what to do with the Title as of now....

The official is cut off by the sound of Lord Steven Regal's music, as he heads down to the ring with a disgusted look on his face. He grabs the microphone.

Lord Steven Regal: There is no decision that has to be made there, young scamp. With I, Lord Steven Regal, the number one contender to the TV Title, then I deserve to have the belt handed over to me. If Badd wanted to go and prance around like a nancy boy for someone else, it had nowt to do with me, especially when I've earned a shot at the title.

CM: Though that is true, we can't just hand the belt over to you, there has to be some form of match , tournament or competition to justify it.

LSR: Oh...that's it? Book it now, Ill stretch any of those so-called wrestlers in the back this very second if that's what it takes for me to be given the belt I so richly deserve.

Some unfamiliar music hits the PA system, but some of the fans seem to recognise the man heading down to the ring as being Ken Shamrock, from the UFC. He walks into the ring and stares face to face with Regal, before grabbing the microphone.

Shamrock: Since you seem so intent to fight someone for this title, and I want to show what I can do and go far in this business, why don't me and you fight it out for the right to be TV champion?

LSR: My pleasure!

WCW TV Title Match

Lord Steven Regal vs Ken Shamrock

With the committee members in the ring seemingly in agreement, the TV Title match is on! Shamrock uses his strikes to get the early advantage, but when the fight breaks to ringside, he is thrown into the ringpost and barricade by the wily veteran Regal, thus giving him the advantage. Knowing he is in there with a tough competitor, Regal puts quite a few cheap shots to use to keep Shamrock under control and stop his fighting back, but as Regal went to lock in the Regal Stretch, Shamrock tripped him over and rolled forward onto Regal. A quick ground and pound, followed by the ankle lock, and Regal is in the middle of the ring with nowhere to go! Regal tries to make a move for the ropes, but taps as the pain becomes too much!

Winner: NEW WCW TV Champion Ken Shamrock

Schiavone: And we have a new TV champion as Ken Shamrock wins it on his debut!

Bischoff: He looks incredibly dangerous, and just had too much for Regal, who has to be kicking himself after earning his chance to have let the title slip through his fingers.

The camera cuts to backstage, as we see Hulk Hogan leaving his locker-room as he starts the long walk to get to the ring for his match. The camera follows him as he turns down one corridor and stops to grab a cup of water. He turns around and Kevin Sullivan has sneaked up behind him. Hogan goes to move towards Sullivan, but is span around and gets a big cloud of green Muta mist! Hogan stumbles back grabbing at his eyes, before eating a nasty savate kick to the face, dropping him to the floor. Sullivan and Muta kick Hogan about, before picking him up and throwing him head first into the wall, and then the water cooler, knocking it over and flooding the floor around it. As Muta heads off to leave the scene of the crime, he looks back and can't resist grabbing the spike out of his trunks that he tends to carry around. Grabbing Hogan up a little by the hair, Muta stabs at his forehead three time with the spike, leaving Hogan busted open and bleeding, as Muta and Sullivan leave, Sullivan's laughter reverberating off the walls.

Schiavone: WOAH, Hulk Hogan has been left a bloody mess by the Great Muta and Kevin Sullivan....hopefully the medical teams get to Hogan quickly, as he took one hell of a beating.

Bischoff: Sullivan proving that he means business when it comes to taking Hulk Hogan out for good.

Schiavone: Hulk Hogan was supposed to face Jim Powers, but Powers is just left in the ring at the moment....

Cutting off Schiavone, the sound of One Man Gang's music hits the PA system, as Sullivan leads the monster down to the ring. It seems we have an impromptu match, as a referee follows.

One Man Gang vs Jim Powers

A squash. A powerslam, two avalanches and a big splash are all that it takes to put Powers away.

Winner: One Man Gang

With One Man Gang continuing to beat on Jim Powers, he heads to the second rope, before crushing Powers with another splash. As it appears he is going for a third, Alex Wright runs down to the ringside and begins to pummel away at One Man Gang, to little or no effect. He ducks and dives away from a few of One Man Gang's punches, but doesn't see Sullivan behind him, who shoulder tackles Wright's knee, dropping him to the mat. One big splash later, and Wright has been laid out once again by One Man Gang.

Rating: 52% (....ouch)

Schiavone: What was Wright even trying to do? One Man Gang beat him two weeks ago, crushing him then, and he came back for more?

Bischoff: More importantly, it seems like Sullivan was sending out a message to Hogan after the beating from Muta that anything he can do, they can do better.

Schiavone: Next in the ring, we have Hawk going up against Booker T, as the Road Warriors and Harlem Heat feud continues to simmer.

Hawk vs Booker T

A relatively short match for the two occupants in the ring, as Animal and Stevie Ray instantly went at it at ringside, leaving the ref trying to deal with both. Stevie Ray was able to get the advantage at ringside and hit Animal with a drop toehold onto the ringstairs, leaving him down and out. In the ring, Hawk had been taking it to Booker T, but Stevie Ray distracted Hawk, leaving him to turn around into a Booker T jumping sidekick. Booker T went for the pin, and with the ref looking at the shoulders, Stevie Ray grabbed Hawks legs to hold him down for the three to grab the cheap win!

Winner: Booker T

Harlem Heat didn't hand around long enough to celebrate, as an irate Hawk was quickly back to his feet, leaving Booker T and Stevie Ray little choice but to head back up the ramp.

Rating: 75%

Schiavone: Damn, Booker T picks up the cheap victory over Hawk!

Bischoff: It just goes to show that Harlem Heat are just one step ahead of the Road Warriors. It was clever as much as anything, Tony.

Schiavone: Doesn't make it right...or fair.

Arn Anderson vs Disco Inferno

Disco Inferno puts in a spirited performance against the brutal Arn Anderson, but Anderson dominated for large parts of the match, only losing control when Inferno ducks a clothesline attempt and hits one of his own. He only holds the advantage for a couple of moves though, as he heads for the Chartbuster too early, and it is easily blocked by Anderson, who kicks Inferno in the gut. An irish whip is followed by a devastating spinebuster to give Anderson the victory.

Winner: Arn Anderson

As Arn Anderson headed to go backstage, Mean Gene came out to grab an interview with him.

MG: So Arn Anderson, that was a pretty decisive victory for you there.

Arn Anderson: You're damn right Mean Gene, there wasn't any way I was going to let a man the likes of Disco Inferno beat me. He may have put up a good showing, but it was never going to be enough.

MG: As we saw last week, Macho Man Randy Savage seems less than happy with the Four Horseman at the moment, and wants at Ric Flair.

AA: Gene, Gene, you know how it is. Ric is the WCW World Champion, and everyone is going to be after him. But as I said to Savage last week on this very stage, I told him that Flair won't fight him because he has already beat him, why flog a dead horse for the sake of it? And then he decides he wants to jump me to get his attention, well it certainly got my attention!

MG: So what are you as a collective planning to do about it?

AA: Now, Gene, it is not as if I'll run down every little aspect of what the Four Horseman want to do, or even I want to do. However, I will tell you this for a fact...Ric Flair won't face him, I won't face him....what do I have to prove by beating the guy? He is at the lowest rung of the ladder, and I don't need to stoop to that level. BUT....if he so wants to get at the Horseman, me, Flair....at Souled Out, “The Crippler” Chris Benoit will be more than happy to beat you. Now, Benoit knows that this isn't Flair or I being above him, but as always with the Horseman, there is a chain of command...and there is nothing better in my eyes than seeing a young, rabid, vicious Chris Benoit rip Randy Savage to shreds!

Arn Anderson proceeds to walk off past Mean Gene after this comment.

Rating: 87%

Schiavone: Randy Savage vs Chris Benoit at Souled Out? Arn Anderson and Ric Flair are just ducking Randy Savage, surely?

Bischoff: You telling me that a match with Benoit is any easier? This should be a classic.

Schiavone: I don't doubt that for a moment. But now, to our Main Event!

Sting and Lex Luger vs The Giant and The Great Muta

With the crowd firmly behind Sting and Luger, they use this support to begin in a spirited fashion, taking the match to Muta as The Giant stood in the corner, looking menacing. Luger and Sting are quick tagging to keep Muta in their corner, but he is able to reverse an attempted Luger suplex and make the tag to the big man, who begins to work away on Luger with huge slams and a hiptoss from one side of the ring to the other! Luger is then cut off on Muta and The Giant's side of the ring, as they tag quickly to keep the fresh man in, Muta hitting with some of his faster offense, dropping Luger with a couple of dragon screws, whilst The Giant continued to put his power to use, crushing Luger in the corner with a clothesline and some chops. Eventually, Luger ducks a Muta clothesline and makes the hot tag to Sting after nailing Muta with a flying forearm. Sting begins to clean house, taking on both Muta and The Giant who steps into the ring. With Luger back up now, he lifts Muta up into the position for the torture rack, but manages to bash Muta's legs into Sting's face as Muta struggles in the move. Sting stumbles straight into the huge hands of the Giant, and as Muta blows reds mist into Luger's eyes to break up the torture rack, Sting is dropped hard with the chokeslam. Muta dropkicks Luger to the floor and covers up Sting for the 3 count!

Winner: The Great Muta and The Giant

Rating: 88%

As the crowd begin to boo, the reaction becomes more stilted as Ric Flair heads down to the ring with a chair in hand. Cracking The Great Muta over the head with one shot drops him to the mat, and as The Giant looks to block a high shot with his hand, Flair instead drills a chairshot to the big mans knees, dropping him like an oak! Flair hits a few more shots to keep the man down, before grabbing a microphone from ringside.

Flair: WOOOH.....everyone has been talking about who is next to go one on one with me, and attempt to be the man, and so far I didn't care who WCW wanted to throw at me, whether it be a Lex Luger, a Sting, a Hulk Hogan or a Macho Man Randy Savage....but you, Giant, went that one step above the others, and attacked me, dropping me like a tonne of bricks! If that's the kinda game you want to play, than I'm gonna play it on the biggest stage with you....The Giant, it'll be me versus you for my WCW World Title this Souled Out! The second you put your hand around my throat, you got my attention, but everyone knows it'll take more than that to beat me...and to be the man, you gotta beat the man, WOOH! Giant, come Souled Out, you'll find out why I'm the man, and it was from taking down guys like you!

As Ric Flair stands in the ring staring at a fallen Giant, the camera slowly begins to fade out.

Schiavone: And that's all we have time for, goodnight!

Card Rating: 76%

TV Rating: 5.44

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

The Great Muta vs Hulk Hogan

WCW World Tag Team Title Match

Harlem Heat © vs The Road Warriors

Randy Savage vs Chris Benoit

Eddie Guerrero vs Diamond Dallas Page

Open Challenge For The US Title

One Man Gang vs ???

Chris Jericho and The Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio Jr and Juventud Guerrera

(OOC: I realise the Souled Out logo is a little off, as it may have been one from WCW later than my time period, but twas the only non-NWO Souled Out logo I could find).

Edited by HGwannabe

I didn't get to read SN when you posted, But I enjoyed it. Jason Broyles is getting pushed a bit too early for my liking, But hopefully, Pillman wins the feud and moves onto better things. Also glad to see Dean Malenko walk away with a win. Nitro was good, Glad to see Jericho debut, Though, I didn't like seeing him lose in his debut match. Shamrock debuting was a shocker, And you got him over big by having him win the TV title. Though, I would have liked to see a tournament for the belt. As for the title situation, I like The Giant getting a shot and all, But Flair would have never challenged The Giant. Flair was the ultimate coward back in '96, I just don't see him challenging The Giant, Even after The Giant beat him down. Sucks to see Alex Wright get beat down, But hopefully, He gets a chance to defeat ONM. Keep up the good work. (Y)

Pretty good Nitro to set up to Souled Out, nice to see you bounced back from losing Badd by bringing in Shamrock...which is a win/win situation in my book. Loved the Muta/Hogan beat down, WCW should start marketing green Muta mist in a can...I'd have bought it :shifty:. Souled Out itself looks like a solid ppv from top top bottom, I was surprised to see there wasn't a TV title match on the card. After Shamrock's victory I was expecting a rematch to take place. Benoit's gonna have to work his ass off to drag a good match out of Savage, as is Muta with Hogan. If I was a betting man, I'd sadly say I can see both the old and talentless bastards winning their matches, but you've proved me wrong before. Only match I'm not really looking forward to is the OMG match, as he doesn't interest me in the slightest...nor does Alex Wright.

Still, keep it up and all that bollocks, and I'll keep reading (Y)

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 20/01/96

As the camera fades in to the start of WCW Saturday Night, we see the end of Monday Nitro, as Ric Flair accepted the challenge from The Giant!

With Luger back up now, he lifts Muta up into the position for the torture rack, but manages to bash Muta's legs into Sting's face as Muta struggles in the move. Sting stumbles straight into the huge hands of the Giant, and as Muta blows reds mist into Luger's eyes to break up the torture rack, Sting is dropped hard with the chokeslam. Muta dropkicks Luger to the floor and covers up Sting for the 3 count!

Winner: The Great Muta and The Giant

Rating: 88%

As the crowd begin to boo, the reaction becomes more stilted as Ric Flair heads down to the ring with a chair in hand. Cracking The Great Muta over the head with one shot drops him to the mat, and as The Giant looks to block a high shot with his hand, Flair instead drills a chairshot to the big mans knees, dropping him like an oak! Flair hits a few more shots to keep the man down, before grabbing a microphone from ringside.

Flair: WOOOH.....everyone has been talking about who is next to go one on one with me, and attempt to be the man, and so far I didn't care who WCW wanted to throw at me, whether it be a Lex Luger, a Sting, a Hulk Hogan or a Macho Man Randy Savage....but you, Giant, went that one step above the others, and attacked me, dropping me like a tonne of bricks! If that's the kinda game you want to play, than I'm gonna play it on the biggest stage with you....The Giant, it'll be me versus you for my WCW World Title this Souled Out! The second you put your hand around my throat, you got my attention, but everyone knows it'll take more than that to beat me...and to be the man, you gotta beat the man, WOOH! Giant, come Souled Out, you'll find out why I'm the man, and it was from taking down guys like you!

As the camera fades back into the WCW Saturday Night set, we have the first match set to go in the ring.

Chris Kanyon vs Mr JL

A match between two of the young upstarts of WCW, Kanyon and JL both go all out to impress the crowd. We get to see Kanyon's nice hybrid moves, whilst when Mr JL knocks Kanyon to the outside, JL's high flying style is on display as he nails a beautiful plancha from the top turnbuckle! The match is pretty even, but a missed top rope splash from Mr JL leaves him stunned, and as he stands up he is dropped hard face first with the Flatliner, giving Kanyon the 1,2,3!

Winner: Chris Kanyon

As Kanyon leaves the ring celebrating a hard fought victory, Mr JL looks less than impressed with the result, kicking at the turnbuckles and bottom rope in anger at his loss. The ref moves over as if to console him, but JL shrugs it off and slowly leaves the ring, shaking his head.

Rating:60%

Chavo Guerrero Jr vs Devon Storm

With his loss to Guerrero on Nitro, Storm returned to his usual stomping ground to fight Eddie's nephew, Chavo. Chavo was off the mark the quickest, taking the match to Storm, seemingly taking his anger out on Storm from last weeks loss to DDP. However, Storm goes to the eyes as the ref is distracted, putting himself into control of the match. An inverted DDT and a Northern Lights suplex almost grabs the victory for Storm, but he takes too long heading to the top rope, allowing Chavo to get up and throw him off the top, Storm landing hard on his back! As Storm got up, Chavo planted him with a lovely stalling brainbuster, before dropping him once more on the top of his head with a beautiful tornado DDT, leaving him out for the easy 1,2,3.

Winner: Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Chavo stands on the top rope and soaks in the admiration of the crowd as he celebrates the victory.

The camera fades to the back where Mean Gene has an interview with Mr JL. The interview centers around why JL reacted as he did to his loss. JL tells Gene that he was being held down by the stupid mask and the stupid expectations of the federation as a whole. He took off his mask, and told Gene from now he is just going to be good old Jerry Lynn, whether they like it or not.

Rating: 49%

The Suicide Blondes vs Fire And Ice

Next, we got our second shot at seeing The Suicide Blondes, but this week they have an arguably harder task, as they went against the monstrous team of Scott Norton and Ice Train. The Blondes attempt to use their speed to take the early advantage, but shoulderblocks and clotheslines just bounce off of Norton and Train, who then begin to pummel away on Copeland and Cage. Train drops Cage with a nasty running powerslam, but as the ref tries to get control, Copeland chop blocks Train, allowing the Blondes to take control with fast tags and quick moves. However, as Cage makes the mistake of trying to slam Ice Train, a move easily blocked with a slam of his own, and this allows Train to make the tag to Norton, who begins to clean house. The match turns into a brawl, and as Train throws Copeland out of the ring, Norton and Cage are struggling across the ring. Train charges to go and splash Cage, who moves and Norton takes the move hard. An enziguiri to Train and a spinning wheel kick to Norton allows Cage to hook Norton's leg and take the surprise 3 count!

Winner: The Suicide Blondes

As The Suicide Blondes get out of the ring and head to the backstage, Ice Train tries his best to console his partner for his mistake. Norton shrugs off his advances though, and clotheslines Train down to the ground! Picking him up, Norton drops him with a huge powerslam, before kicking him several times as the crowd boo their dissaproval.

Rating: 69%

The camera fades back again to show the events of Nitro, as we saw a new TV Champion being crowned in the form of Ken Shamrock.

CM: Though that is true, we can't just hand the belt over to you, there has to be some form of match , tournament or competition to justify it.

LSR: Oh...that's it? Book it now, Ill stretch any of those so-called wrestlers in the back this very second if that's what it takes for me to be given the belt I so richly deserve.

Some unfamiliar music hits the PA system, but some of the fans seem to recognise the man heading down to the ring as being Ken Shamrock, from the UFC. He walks into the ring and stares face to face with Regal, before grabbing the microphone.

Shamrock: Since you seem so intent to fight someone for this title, and I want to show what I can do and go far in this business, why don't me and you fight it out for the right to be TV champion?

LSR: My pleasure!

Regal puts quite a few cheap shots to use to keep Shamrock under control and stop his fighting back, but as Regal went to lock in the Regal Stretch, Shamrock tripped him over and rolled forward onto Regal. A quick ground and pound, followed by the ankle lock, and Regal is in the middle of the ring with nowhere to go! Regal tries to make a move for the ropes, but taps as the pain becomes too much!

Winner: NEW WCW TV Champion Ken Shamrock

As the camera fades back to Saturday Night, we are in the ring with Jason Broyles going up against Hugh Morrus.

Jason Broyles vs Hugh Morrus

The match involves Broyles trying to hang with the more powerful Morrus for the most part, but never overly being in trouble. A missed splash in the corner left Morrus vulnerable, and after Broyles nailed him with a german suplex, a fisherman buster and then a back suplex, Broyles finished him off with a released suplex, dropping Morrus hard on his back.

Winner: Jason Broyles

As Broyles headed backstage, Mean Gene came out for an interview with him, focusing mainly on the victory just then, and his run-ins with Pillman. Broyles confirmed that he had signed on the dotted line to meet Pillman at Souled Out, and even though Pillman was the more experienced, that he was just as dangerous.

Before the Main Event, we head back to see one last moment of Nitro, as The Great Muta takes out Hulk Hogan backstage!

The camera cuts to backstage, as we see Hulk Hogan leaving his locker-room as he starts the long walk to get to the ring for his match. The camera follows him as he turns down one corridor and stops to grab a cup of water. He turns around and Kevin Sullivan has sneaked up behind him. Hogan goes to move towards Sullivan, but is span around and gets a big cloud of green Muta mist! Hogan stumbles back grabbing at his eyes, before eating a nasty savate kick to the face, dropping him to the floor. Sullivan and Muta kick Hogan about, before picking him up and throwing him head first into the wall, and then the water cooler, knocking it over and flooding the floor around it. As Muta heads off to leave the scene of the crime, he looks back and can't resist grabbing the spike out of his trunks that he tends to carry around. Grabbing Hogan up a little by the hair, Muta stabs at his forehead three time with the spike, leaving Hogan busted open and bleeding, as Muta and Sullivan leave, Sullivan's laughter reverberating off the walls.

Dean Malenko vs Konnan

With both men having quite a bit of experience in both the US and internationally, we were in for a treat, and the crowd were behind Konnan, who took the early advantage, dropping Malenko with a nice spin kick and a rolling lariat to leave Malenko little choice to head to the floor. Malenko was eventually able to slow down Konnan, blocking a kick to the stomach and dropping an elbow hard on the leg. Malenko then put his impressive technical repertoire to use, working on both the back and legs with several locks and stretches, and planting Konnan on his knee with a stiff backbreaker, all in preperation for the Texas Cloverleaf. As Malenko went for it, Konnan reversed it into a cradle to get a two count, and it seemed Konnan had got his second wind, as he began to pummel on Malenko and dropped him for another near fall with a DDT. Unfortunately, Malenko's onslaught had taken its toll, and as Konnan went for a powerbomb, his back or leg gave way, allowing Malenko to slip out of the back and drop Konnan with a tiger driver. This was the set-up for the Cloverleaf, and when it was synched in, Konnan could do little more than tap out.

Winner:Dean Malenko

Rating: 72%

Card Rating: 63%

TV Rating: 3.00

Edited by HGwannabe