Getting a guitar

VerbalPuke

So I've been playing guitar less than a year, and now...I bought my second already. I'm becoming a bit obsessed with gear, amps, pedals, guitars, even strings. I love looking at this shit, and after playing my the Les Paul's my old man had, I decided to pull the trigger on a 2012 Les Paul Studio from Ebay. It's all black ebony, with gold hardware. My old man helped me swing the deal and actually did the purchasing, so I should hear from him when it ships. But yeah, now I have a really nice Les Paul for a great price to go with my Fender.

I almost was going to go with a Fender Mustang Pawnshop but ultimately settled for the Gibson to give myself some variety. I'll probably get a mustang someday, but for now I'm glad to have the variety in my quiver.

Oh and I am looking to get a nano big muff, a subdecay octasynth, a earthquaker devices rainbow machine, and probably some form of ring modulator. I like the weirdness of the last three, and dig the tone of the big muff for some fuzz when I want to go in a different direction than my Orange gives me (which is fucking fantastic).

Good for you. I just picked up my 2nd this weekend. I managed to get a brand new Tim Armstrong Hellcat acoustic-electric for about $200 under store price online. I LOVE playing it. I really like acoustic. I find myself searching for guitars all the time now. You seem to be way more into gear though, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I found black knobs for my Les Paul Standard on ebay, and pulled the pick guard. All black with cream accents, looks so nice. I've seen pics of the model you got, good looking guitar.

Concerning Gibsons...well, I'm not going to slag them, as I love the heft of a well-made LP and adore their SGs...but their pricing is nuts. If you want a Les Paul, LTD makes a good LP copy for a fraction of the price. If you find yourself wanting the SG style, stick with Epiphone (Gibson's cheaper brand, though unlike Fender/Squier, the quality of Epiphone will almost always be below that of a Gibson-branded axe). Gibson's main problem is that they charge wayyyy too much for their products. Want a double-neck guitar? Go get a Schecter. Want a Thunderbird? Go get an LTD. Ever since Gibson was caught illegally importing certain rosewoods, their prices have steadily increased.

I have to disagree about the Epiphone/Gibson comparison made here. Everything I've seen says the Epiphones seem to be better manufactured than their comparable Gibson models. Gibson's quality seems to have taken a hit, but the Epiphones are getting solid reviews lately. Edited by EndOfAnEra

I have to disagree about the Epiphone/Gibson comparison made here. Everything I've seen says the Epiphones seem to be better manufactured than their comparable Gibson models. Gibson's quality seems to have taken a hit, but the Epiphones are getting solid reviews lately.

It's a weird world right now. A lot of the Squier Classic Vibes are outperforming their Mexican counterparts, while a lot of Epiphones are starting to catch up to the Gibson brethren. The SG Special (now with Kill-Pot, which is a fun little toy) at $179 is a damned steal, honestly.

I'm currently attempting to put together a Franken-Squier. Silverburst body from a Fullerton Strat copy, neck from a '51 Squier reissue. I was given (given!) a set of Fender Noiseless N3 pickups, but it seems something's awry with them. Ergo, I'll have to figure out some new pickups. Will post once it's complete...years from now :shifty:

When I was looking into mine, everything I read and all the advice I got was that the Epiphone Standards and Studios were outperforming the Gibsons. Not going to complain at all. I got my Les Paul Standard for $400ish. Not that I can really tell the difference at this point in my playing, but Gibson really seems to be shitting the bed lately.

I'm not into Fender much. What notable differences would you say there are between the two brands?

The Fender brand has really started to branch out. Stuff like the Marauder, the P-90 Jaguars, Reso-Teles...Fender's doing some crazy tweaking to the standard lineups. The American/Signature-level stuff remains generally the same, though "Fat Strats" have become seemingly the norm (Humbucker in the bridge, then two single coils).

Squier's Classic Vibe series has seen some top stuff released lately. I love the '60s Jazz Basses (own one fretted and one Vintage Modified fretless), while their Strats/Teles have been great value for the money.

I just got a used Yamaha Pacifica 112X a cupple of weeks ago. It was about 110€. New it´s 240€ i belive but you can get it from as low as 50€ till up to 150€ on ebay. Just keep your eyes open and be patient than you will get one that looks like you prefere it and issent to expensive.

I went for the Yamaha 112 because on almost every guitar board i checked it was mentioned over and over again as the perfect and very solid beginner guitar. I am very Happy with it.

http://instagram.com/p/r9WaHZCskp/?modal=true

The first guitar i got was a cheap Chinese one, it seems to be the same model under every name (Rocketile, Fake Fender, Harly Benton ect. ect.) and it was a horrible piece of wood (also very broken, i got it used for 20€)

When I was looking into mine, everything I read and all the advice I got was that the Epiphone Standards and Studios were outperforming the Gibsons. .

Just check this german guy out plaing both in comparison. He starts with the epiphone at 3:25 and he switches right over to the Gibson right after. The Gibson has so much more balls its not even funny.

Edited by Herr Matzat
  • Like 1

I got my Les Paul in the mail on Tuesday, and have been playing around with it since then. It's an amazing guitar, and I think I'm switching my allegiance to Les Paul/Gibson because this thing plays as good as any guitar I've ever played. I always thought the Fender's had a faster neck, and were lighter (they are), making them easier to play. However, I'm inclined to say the guitar I have plays like a dream, I got lucky that it came set up pretty damn good from the seller on ebay. It makes sense honestly, as much as the twang and jangle of the Fender called to me, I've always been more of a heavy rocker and a good majority of my guitar heroes were Les Paul players (Johnny Thunders, Mick Ronson, Cheetah Chrome, Steve Jones). The growl and crunch behind these things is pure bad ass rock and roll, it goes beautifully with an Orange amp.

As far Gibson pricing goes, I initially thought the same that Midget had said in a post from a year or so ago, the pricing is insane. However, I've found that you can find great deals on Les Paul's and SG's on the used market, there are tons and tons of well priced Studios, Standards, Juniors, and Melody Makers of all colors, years, etc. on ebay, craigslist. Not only that, but as you get toward the end of the year, the Gibson Les Paul's start to get blown out and prices are reduced drastically. Stuff like your Melody Makers and Juniors should usually fall under 700-800 dollars as well as in some cases the Studios and Standards going for under 1000. In fact, I almost went with a 2014 studio because I loved the Manhattan Midnight color, but decided against it because a lot of the Les Paul geezers think 2014 is a bad studio year, and I also did not like the new colors for the hardware. I did better in the end because my guitar came damn near flawless, it just needs a good polishing and the input jack cover has a small crack (which is about 4 dollars to fix). Oh, on top of that, Gibson isn't giving a hardshell case with their current Studio models which also put me off.

Anyway, here's a few photos of it.

003.jpg

005.jpg

Sorry, the lighting is crap. Oh, I should also mention real quick, I just got this pedal in on Thursday.

• Like 1

That is the exact Gibson I want. Problem for me is finding lefties on the used market is a pain in the ass. Nice grab.

Just check this german guy out plaing both in comparison. He starts with the epiphone at 3:25 and he switches right over to the Gibson right after. The Gibson has so much more balls its not even funny.

Not disagreeing with you, but wouldn't an Epiphone Studio be a better comparison to a Gibson Studio?

True statement on lefties. I think this model can be found lefty if you punch it in google, but it might be beyond the price you want. How much would it cost you to maybe get a righty and have it turned into a lefty by a luthier? That might be an option.

I think more than I'd like haha. I've got a pretty solid mid level right now, so I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a deal like I did with my acoustic.

Have you been taking lessons at all or just figuring it out? And how was your experience buying online? I'd be so worried about getting a beater.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

I've never taken lessons. Everything I've learned was taught by my dad, and a few friends, and some stuff I've looked up online. Honestly, there is so much online that you can get by pretty easily without lessons. But yeah, mostly my dad showed me the basics in major chords, running a scale, and barre chords. Then another friend in Vegas here showed me power chords which was beneficial for my psyche. I'm not that good, but I do feel like I improve with each time I play, even if it's something small like a smoother transition between chords progressions, or running my scale sounds a bit better. Baby steps, at 29 with two kids I don't have the time I'd like to really devote to the guitar, but it's a hobby I love so I don't regret spending the money on it.

My experience buying online has all been positive. Thus far I haven't been burned, but I've possibly been lucky because I've heard some horror stories of broken guitars and such. The Marauder and my amp came from musiciansfriend, a respected dealer and owned by guitar center, so you shouldn't have concerns with them. The only concern is Ebay, that's where you can get burned bad, but there are steps to take to ensure you don't get burned or to make sure that the seller isn't trying to fuck you. A lot of people swear by sweetwater.com, they have pretty much the same inventory as musiciansfriend but seem to hang onto backstock longer, and seemingly take more care in setting the guitar up and packing it for you. Plus they apparently have an almost crazy customer service that will call you six months after a purchase to make sure you like the guitar. Zzounds is an appealing store because they offer payment plans on orders over 250, and it's a free payment plan, no financing. You'd pay a surcharge and then make monthly payments if that's more manageable than one lump sum.

Basically, ask a ton of questions to the ebay seller. Be very specific, get the serial number (especially on a Gibson), ask for pictures, more pictures, ask about the condition, seller rating is always important (I like to see if they have sold other instruments), and if it's absolutely too good to be true, it probably is. Still, you should be protected if you use paypal, as far returns or the guy just flat out not sending you the guitar. There are also a bunch of places on the web that show differences between fakes and the real mccoy, there is a Chinese company putting out very good looking but fake Les Paul's.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/69767-before-you-buy-your-1st-les-paul-read-me.html

Check out that link, those guys know their shit. I joined them because they have a wealth of knowledge, and honestly what they say can apply to any instrument you buy.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I also want to recomend Rocksmith 2014 to learn with your computer. Its a great tool.

I got the game, I love the game. And although the technical learning side is kinda lacking, you really get a lot of gains with reactions and just general playing a song.

When I started I could barely switch chords at a reasonable pace, but the challenge of the game (you can slow it down if you want to) will drive you to be quicker and quicker.

Also, there are a fucktonne of ''custom'' DLC's available for free on the internet, so even if the in-game stuff isn't up to taste there are great quality customs out there, a lot of them with the same functionality as the real DLC songs.

Earlier this year I bought an '04 Epiphone LP Custom limited edition. Man selling it had a lot of guitars already, and he wasn't using this one. The value (with custom 3rd bucker) was 900 euros, he wanted 600, but I managed to haggle it down to 300 shockingly enough.

The entire thing is an absolute dream to play, it was in pristine condition with only very minor scoff marks from use. Everything works, and well It's infinitely better than my old beginner knock-off Strat.

http://imgur.com/a/xBepB#0

Edited by Jasonmufc

Thats a beauty.

I will get a LP someday to, not only do i love the look but it´s also played by many Guitar players i like and from what i gather that will help me getting closer to their sound when i actually am able to play.

I think i will be just fine with my Yamaha for a cupple of years for now.

Apparently it´s a thing for lefty to turn the guitar upside down and learn to play it like that just because true lefties are expensive, hard to get a used one, hard to get rid of when you want to sell them ect.

I am certain the community will be able to help when its about what guitar is best suited for that and if it´s only an odd thing to get going or if some people just go all the way with it.

Apparently it´s a thing for lefty to turn the guitar upside down and learn to play it like that just because true lefties are expensive, hard to get a used one, hard to get rid of when you want to sell them ect.

I am certain the community will be able to help when its about what guitar is best suited for that and if it´s only an odd thing to get going or if some people just go all the way with it.

It worked for Jimi. :P

For electrics, most of the people I've seen and jammed with tend to just learn right-handed techniques. Haven't met anyone yet who seriously took to the Hendrix style.

Acoustic guitars are a different beast. Just flip it over, use a hair dryer to remove the pickguard (if there is one), then restring as a lefty. Booyah.