Predictions for 2023

Dang117

I'm just going to stick to the Oscar predictions for now... 

Best Picture
Winner: The Fabelmans
Other Nominees: Top Gun: Maverick, Everything Everwhere All At Once, Tar, Elvis, Avatar: The Way of Water, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, The Banshees of Inisherin, Women Talking 

Best Director
Winner: Steven Spielberg
Other Nominees: Baz Luhrmann, James Cameron, Joseph Kosinski, Gina Prince-Bythewood
(I think Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert are a shoe-in for the Screenplay, but I think they get edged out here; Sarah Polley is another one who can easily fit imo)

Best Actor
Winner: Brendan Fraser
Other Nominees: Austin Butler, Colin Farrell, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman
(throwing caution to the wind, I think Tom Hanks is very much in the running and I hear great things about Bill Nighy but I haven't heard much about the film so... mayyyyyyybe a long shot but Will Smith might end up on the ballot despite his attending ban)

Best Actress
Winner: Michelle Yeoh
Other Nominees: Cate Blanchett, Michelle Williams, Danielle Deadwyler, Viola Davis
(Jennifer Lawrence has a good shot for her return to acting imo, and Margot Robbie tends to get a lot of love so I wouldn't be surprised to see her get a nod, and Ana de Armas is my personal blackhorse but I fear she may get edged out)

Best Supporting Actor
Winner: Ke Huy Quan
Other Nominees: Judd Hirsch, Brad Pitt, Brian Tyree Henry, Ben Whishaw
(again a tight category, I think both Brendan Gleeson and Barry Keoghan have a good shot but I didn't want to pick one over the other, and Tom Hanks might end up on this list, and Eddie Redmayne or Ben Foster too)

Best Supporting Actress
Winner: Jamie Lee Curtis
Other Nominees: Angela Bassett, Nina Hoss, Stephanie Hsu, Dolly De Leon
(a few longshots in here, I thinnk Kerry Condon is also a front runner, Carey Mulligan, Jessie Buckley, Claire Foy, and Gabrielle Union are also strong contenders... Janelle Monae may also get the 'singer turned actress' nod, and I wouldn't hate to see Whoopi Goldebrg  or Laura Dern here)

• Like 1

• Kaney changed the title to Predictions for 2023
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2023 at 15:19, arwrestling said:

I'm just going to stick to the Oscar predictions for now... 

Best Picture
Winner: The Fabelmans
Other Nominees: Top Gun: Maverick, Everything Everwhere All At Once, Tar, Elvis, Avatar: The Way of Water, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, The Banshees of Inisherin, Women Talking (+The Fablemans)

8/10 Nominees guessed.... 
I'm not too surprised Glass Onion didn't get the nomination, it was my wild guess (I removed Triangle of Sadness for it here, that was a mistake). Black Panther I'm shocked didn't get recognized here. 

Completely missed All Quiet on the Western Front... I'm not really familiar with it, but... yea, Black Panther should be here instead.

I still think The Fabelmans takes the win, no contest.

Best Director
Winner: Steven Spielberg
Other Nominees: Baz Luhrmann, James Cameron, Joseph Kosinski, Gina Prince-Bythewood (+Steven Spielberg)
(I think Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert are a shoe-in for the Screenplay, but I think they get edged out here; Sarah Polley is another one who can easily fit imo)

1/5 Nominees guessed...
Missed Martin McDonagh (again, someone I had shortlisted but but Gina Prince-Bythewood instead), Todd Field (no surprise there), and Ruben Ostund (I'm surprised he was recognized... not that it isn't deserved I just thought the field was so competitive he was for sure going to be a miss)... Sarah Polley, while not one of my initial picks (by a slim margin) should have been included in the list of nominees... And I'm really surprised James Cameron missed out.

Steven Spielberg takes the win here along with The Fabelmans.

I'm ... annoyed at the fact that this category even exists... It is, in my opinion, nonsense and should be amalgamated into the Best Picture award. A film is made by the director, and the only reason they are seperate is for the studio executives and producers can pat themselves on the back with their own award. I'm not saying producers aren't important to film making, but artistically.... a film is a Best Film because it had the Best Director. They go hand in hand... how can you be the best director if your film isn't the best film of the year? And vice versa? It makes zero sense. 

Best Film Category should be recognized and accepted by the director (and toss the names of producers on there to make themselves feel better). 

Best Actor
Winner: Brendan Fraser
Other Nominees: Austin Butler, Colin Farrell, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman (+Brendan Faser)
(throwing caution to the wind, I think Tom Hanks is very much in the running and I hear great things about Bill Nighy but I haven't heard much about the film so... mayyyyyyybe a long shot but Will Smith might end up on the ballot despite his attending ban)

3/5 Nominees Guessed... 

I mean no big surprises really in the field here. I missed Bill Nighy (though he was a dark horse contender I picked), and Paul Mescal was someone I thought was too much of a longshot but great to see him here. I'm (pleasantly) surprised Tom Cruise wasn't recognized; I don't think he was stellar in the film, good movie but... nothing out of the ordinary imo. And Hugh Jackman was a total dark horse prediction, so I'm not shocked. 

Brendan Fraser is a lock to win (though I think Austin Butler has a slim shot but...)

Best Actress
Winner: Michelle Yeoh
Other Nominees: Cate Blanchett, Michelle Williams, Danielle Deadwyler, Viola Davis (+Michelle Yeoh)
(Jennifer Lawrence has a good shot for her return to acting imo, and Margot Robbie tends to get a lot of love so I wouldn't be surprised to see her get a nod, and Ana de Armas is my personal blackhorse but I fear she may get edged out)

3/5 Nominees Guessed... 

Again, super competitve field but it came at a cost. I'm thrilled Ana de Armas was recognized. The movie was weird and certainly not for everyone, but I enjoyed it for what it was and thought it was creative... Ana's performance helped keep it together though and it was really well deserved, one of the strongest Marilyn performances out there imo. I'm not too fussed she edged out Viola Davis here (and that's who I'd have replaced her with).

Danielle Deadwyler getting knocked out of contention is criminal. Genuinely... such a powerhouse performance and she should have been recognized here. I'd have taken Michelle Williams out over her, to be honest. Michelle is good, but the weaker of the performances in contention imo (though she's an Academy fave).

Andrea Riseborough was a total shock (to everyone I think), but by all accounts, her performance was stellar. So I'd have kept her and Danielle in and bumped Michelle Williams and Viola Davis to round out the top 5. 

I still think Michelle Yeoh takes it home, but Cate Blanchett might pull out the "upset".

Best Supporting Actor
Winner: Ke Huy Quan
Other Nominees: Judd Hirsch, Brad Pitt, Brian Tyree Henry, Ben Whishaw (+ Ke Huy Quan)
(again a tight category, I think both Brendan Gleeson and Barry Keoghan have a good shot but I didn't want to pick one over the other, and Tom Hanks might end up on this list, and Eddie Redmayne or Ben Foster too)

3/5 Nominees Guessed. 

Zero surprises here... I had Brendan and Barry in my list but didn't know who to choose so I put Brad Pitt and Ben Wishaw in there instead. 

Ke Huy Quan is still a strong favourite here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Judd Hirsch etches him out... the Academy love their old men.

Best Supporting Actress
Winner: Jamie Lee Curtis
Other Nominees: Angela Bassett, Nina Hoss, Stephanie Hsu, Dolly De Leon (+ Jamie Lee Curtis)
(a few longshots in here, I thinnk Kerry Condon is also a front runner, Carey Mulligan, Jessie Buckley, Claire Foy, and Gabrielle Union are also strong contenders... Janelle Monae may also get the 'singer turned actress' nod, and I wouldn't hate to see Whoopi Goldebrg  or Laura Dern here)

3/5 Nominees Guessed
I missed Hong Chau (well deserved performance here, great to see) and Kerry Condon was a front runner of mine, but I but Dolly De Leon instead. 

I'm absolutely thrilled Stephanie Hsu got a nomination here... I had her on my prediction list as a total dark horse pick, but she is so deserving. I actually think she's got a strong shot to win (tbh, I prefered her performance over JLC in EEAAO). I think I'm going to relunctantly stick to JLC winning here, though its a tight race (that I'll likely regret) between she and Angela Bassett, though I'm hoping Stephanie Hsu actually edges them both out for the dark horse surprise win. 

• 1 month later...

Nailed the actors here. No real surprised. I don't think JLC edging out the win over Bassett is the upset many are calling for... Angela Bassett performed well but I personally felt her performance in the first film was better, to be frank, and I don't particularly get the hype around it (that being said she's a phenomenal actress who deserves her flowers in a general sense of speaking). I still stand by the fact that Stephanie Hsu had the stronger performance between she and JLC and I personally felt she deserved the award more, but I'm all for recognizing JLC's talent as she has been a genre actress largely cut out of contention despite her talent over the years. 

Brendan Faser, Ke Huy Quan and Michelle Yeoh was all but a done deal, no surprises there and definitely deserving of the honor. 

I was (pleasantly) wrong about The Fabelmans and thrilled to see EEAAO manage to get the big wins. Good night overall.