Thoughts On Boro

WS1

Whats people thoughts on boro? I have to say I'm surprised that the fans aren't calling for Mclarens head. He's speant a shit loads of money since he's been there and all that he got for his troubles is a carling cup. He's also svens number 2, so it could be argued that he's not fully commited to the boro position. Garry Speed recentley said that he couldn't be commited to both the wales job and playing for bolton at the same time, so whats the difference with mclaren? And Huges couldn't juggle Wales and Blackburn. Ok he's not England manager but he's still got an important position. Three players left villa to join them, Boateng, Southgate and Ehiogu, along with two coaches, who all said they were moving to a bigger club. I don't reckon that was the case. We've beaten them 4 times in the last 3 seasons and have finished higher than them in 2 out the same 3 seasons. They've started off well this season, but if they don't get close to getting a champions league place or get a good FA cup run, I'd have to say it's time for a change.

I've never really rated McLaren as a manager and even with what he has had to work with at Boro he hasn't impressed. I'd give him until the end of this season though to prove that he has what it takes because with the players they have Boro really should be fighting for a Champions League place.

Well they've sorted out their big problem last year (shit strikers) but bringing in two quality forwards, they're in Europe which they've never done before and they're actually scoring a few goals. They have the FA youth cup winners from last year starting to come through (Downing and Morrison looking good already) ready to replace some of the older members of the team and for once they aren't entirely reliant on Juninho. I reckon they'll definitely be pushing for UEFA again this year and the fans will be happy if they do.

Quite glowing praise from a Newcastle supporter dont ya think?

I honestly think Boro are awesome.

I am so damn impressed with them so far this year. They have been solid in europe and I see them going pretty far as well, predicted them to make it to the final actually. There strike force is top notch if you ask me and as strong as nearly any other strike force in the premiership. They have grown so much over the last year or so and I'm really starting to like them a lot.

They also showed they can take it to the best teams, that being Arsenal. That performance they put in deserved a win and I don't see them walking away with nothing this year.

Middlesborough are a good side, and could well finish in the top six, and get a good cup run in both Europe and the FA cup and Carling cup. They have had a good start to the season, and as JohnnyPerfect points out have been solid in Europe. Why call for his head?

They have improved solidly season after season since he took over. (not sure if he signed these two, but) Ehiogu and Southgate have left them with a very solid defense, with Quedrue. Mendieta is a very good midfield player, and added to Boateng, Parlour, Downing, Zenden etch they have a very good midfield - particually for passing the ball about.

They had all this last season - but couldn't score. This season they have signed Hasselbaink, who is easily one of the prem's best strikers, and he was scored a lot already this season. They also added Viduka who has a proven record for scoring where ever he has played. If these two stay injury free,and gel as a partnership Middlesborough may well have one of the best strike forces in the Prem. He has added some good solid 'squad' players also, like Nemeth, Riggott, Doriva, Job etc.

Maccarone was a flop fair enough. Ricketts was too, but Christie was not a flop. He has had a bad time with injury's, but had a proven record in the prem before. I admit, he was never red-hot, but again, like Nemeth is a good solid squad player.

He has spent a bit of money - but only Maccarone and Ricketts were flops. Every manager has them. And with players like Mendieta that he has added for bargain prices, these become even more meaningless.

Plus, a lot of the 'shit loads' of money as you put it was spent at the start of this season. At least give them chance to settle in! And look at the quality they are - Hasselbaink, Viduka, Zenden (permanent), Parlour are all top quality players, particually Hasselbaink, and also Viduka if only for his goal scoring record. Added to that Reiziger, who when he gets back from injury is a very good, experienced right-back.

He has also overseen the development of the clubs FA youth cup winning youth side, and the development of players like Parnaby, Downing and Morrison - Downing in particular looking very good.

And you say all he has is a carling cup? Despite the fact this is his best squad so far, that is still 'new', have had a very good start, are still settling in, and have injury's - It still means they have won a major trophy more recently then you.

In close, Boro are a good side, that could well push on the Champions league, and at least a UEFA cup place. Fans should not call for McClaren's head, he has done a very good job, and has built a very good side that can take it - and compete with the best.

However, as TheGame3000uk points out, if at the end of the season they haven't achieved at least a UEFA cup place, then maybe it may be his time.