The Transfer Thread

The thing you have to remember, is that on the continent Crespo still has the reputation of ruling all. The fact that he didn't perform well at Chelsea, whether it be because of not starting regularly or just that problem some people have coming to England (see Veron), is pretty much an unimportant blip.

His best season was no doubt 00-01 whilst playing for Lazio. He scored 26 goals in 32 games for the club, as well as 6 goals in 7 games for his country.

Actually, when you look at it, his season prior to joining Chelsea (his single year at Inter Milan) wasn't any better than his one at Chelsea - scoring only 7 goals in 18 games. In comparison 10 goals in 19 is an improvement. Perhaps he's the kind of guy who needs to start regularly, or perhaps he just didn't fit in at Inter much like he isn't at Chelsea right now. He was much better at Parma or Lazio.

Anyway in short, Crespo's reputation in the Italian League is still rather considerable, having scored 107 goals there. He knows the league like the back of his hand, and it should be good for him to go back there, whether temporarily or to stay.

Edited by stokeriño

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, if its possible Chelsea really got ripped off there. I can't believe they are replacing Crespo with Drogba. Crespo may not of been great this season, but I think it was because he didn't get enough time on the pitch, a fact backed up by he goals to minutes on the field ratio is only second to Thierry Henry.

Guest just got wicked

Veron was pretty damn consistant and pretty good in Italy and for Argintina as well and look how he played in the premiership..

The thing you have to remember, is that on the continent Crespo still has the reputation of ruling all. The fact that he didn't perform well at Chelsea, whether it be because of not starting regularly or just that problem some people have coming to England (see Veron), is pretty much an unimportant blip.

His best season was no doubt 00-01 whilst playing for Lazio. He scored 26 goals in 32 games for the club, as well as 6 goals in 7 games for his country.

Actually, when you look at it, his season prior to joining Chelsea (his single year at Inter Milan) wasn't any better than his one at Chelsea - scoring only 7 goals in 18 games. In comparison 10 goals in 19 is an improvement. Perhaps he's the kind of guy who needs to start regularly, or perhaps he just didn't fit in at Inter much like he isn't at Chelsea right now. He was much better at Parma or Lazio.

Anyway in short, Crespo's reputation in the Italian League is still rather considerable, having scored 107 goals there. He knows the league like the back of his hand, and it should be good for him to go back there, whether temporarily or to stay.

All true, I like the guy but I'm saying IMO he played crap with Chelsea, or Chelsea just played him crap. Also he may know the league alot, but if I was the manager I would take Inzaghi and Shev anyday.

Guest just got wicked

Didier Drogba has revealed he did not want to move to Chelsea when the club first expressed an interest in him.

But the 26-year-old striker says their persistence eventually persuaded him to leave Marseille in a £24.5m deal.

"Financially and in a sporting sense I could not refuse Chelsea's offer - I hope I live up to their expectations," said the 26-year-old striker.

Drogba, of the Ivory Coast, will fly to London on Tuesday to sign a four-year contract with the Blues.

Drogba said the London club had fought off competition from several Serie A sides to secure his signature.

"I also had offers from Italian clubs, but going to Chelsea is an interesting challenge in my career and I'm glad to join them," he added.

"What convinced me to join Chelsea is that they really showed that they wanted me, and that counts a lot. I will give my best for them now.

"It's very hard to leave Marseille. I've had fantastic times there."

Marseille revealed that Chelsea offered double what Juventus were prepared to pay for Drogba.

And Marseille president Christophe Bouchet said the fee for the striker could be as much as £26.6m.

"What Chelsea offered was the double that of Juventus' offer," he said. "We could not let such an offer go.

"Everything was finalised this weekend. Didier has signed a four-year contract, and the estimated price tag is between 35 and 40m euros (£23.3m and £26.6m)."

Drogba will become Chelsea's record signing if he completes a move to the club, eclipsing the £17m paid for Damian Duff.

Drogba was footballer of the year in France last season.

He scored 29 goals last season, 11 of them in European competition, as Marseille reached the Uefa Cup final, losing 2-0 to Valencia.

The French side admitted last week that the striker, who joined from Guingamp for £4m in 2003, was set to join Chelsea.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho highlighted Drogba as his preferred replacement when Hernan Crespo sealed a season-long loan transfer to AC Milan.

Mourinho was keen to complete his squad for the new season before the Blues depart for a US tour on Wednesday, and is also set to sign Benfica midfielder Tiago.

Drogba will battle for a starting place with Kezman, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Adrian Mutu.

Petr Cech and Arjen Robben, who agreed transfers to Stamford Bridge back in January, are the other new arrivals alongside Drogba, Tiago, Kezman and Ferreira.

Marseille president Christophe Bouchet has promised to reinvest "65-80%" of the money received for Drogba on new players and salaries.

He has already identified Czech striker Jan Koller, Swede Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o as possible replacements.

Veteran France left-back Bixente Lizarazu is also poised to sign for the club from Bayern Munich.

Nice for Marseille. Buy a guy a year ago for £4m and sell him a year later for £24.5m, over 6 times what they paid for him, and about 4 times what he's actually worth.

Christ, Chelsea just got bent over and royally fucked on this one

"What convinced me to join Chelsea is that they really showed that they wanted me, and that counts a lot. I will give my best for them now.

Gee, that doesn't sound shallow in the slightest.

"I joined Chelsea because they showed me what I truly meant to them. They offered me the chance to enrich myself on both a personal and professional level. It's a beautiful thing.

IT'S TWENTY FOUR POINT FIVE MILLION POUNDS WORTH OF BEAUTY, DO YOU FOLLOW ME?!"

Wednesday's Rumours

Today's Rumours need some iPod advice

Rob Smyth

Wednesday July 21, 2004

VieiraGetbg.jpg

Patty Vieira. In a white shirt. What can it mean?

Like the various numpties who line up year by year in Big Brother, the public have expected Patrick Vieira and Real Madrid to enjoy some old-fashioned summer lovin' for many a year. And just as progress towards, erm, true love was made under a table last night, so Real have put their cards on the table this morning!

The Mail says there have been two whole phonecalls between Real and Arsenal on the subject, full of get-yer-grubby-hands-off-my-man and he-doesn't-love-you-anymore-just-let-him-go-type patter.

Real, it says here, have offered £10m for Vieira - generous chaps - but apparently they're willing to go to £24m and no higher, and that's the end of it because they know his mind is made up and there's nothing Arsenal can do to stop their Dr Evil-like plan for world domination.

Except tell them to get lost and stop trying to get world-class players on the cheap, which hopefully they will.

Still at Highbury and, like a relationship involving a Mitchell brother, Ajax flyer Hatem Trabelsi's £4m move to Arsenal is on (The Sun) one minute, and off (The Star) the next.

Peter Reid and Sam Allardyce, meanwhile, are inexplicably scrapping over the services of Dwight Yorke, possibly with a view to having a new smooth-talking buddy to increase their pulling power. Pig-nosed prodigy-lover David O'Leary is also lurking, however.

Bernard Cribbins has not given up on the prospect of luring Darren Anderton into his Bongo FC den. On a pay-as-you-perform basis, of course.

Having signed a donkey from one side of the Pennines in the shape of inept Irishman Ian Harte, La Liga newcomers Levante now want to blow £3m on Diego Forlan.

Portsmouth want Senegal midfielder Papa Bouba Diop from Lens for £1.75m, the knock-on effect of which is that his international teammate Amdy Faye will tell Fulham where to stick their generous offer.

Meanwhile, Leeds' policy of picking up washed-up has-beens has taken them from Brian Deane to Mark Kinsella.

Norwich are still sniffing round Denmark full-back Thomas Helveg, 96, and Spurs will sign Reto Ziegler, an 18-year-old Swiss left back, from Grasshoppers in January.

Finally, Nancy has dumped Sven in a face-to-face EastEnders-style ding-dong, according to various gloating ("Unlike England, Sven's been scoring away") red-tops.

"Nancy hasn't been happy for months," said the ever-ubiquitous 'source' to the Mirror. "She needs a lot more from a relationship." Insert your own adventurous tactics rib-tickler here, then close the browser and get on with the rest of the day.

source: football.guardian.co.uk

Barca eyeing Hyypia

Barcelona look set to launch a bid for Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia.

The Spanish giants have turned to the Finland star after being frustrated in their bid to sign Argentina centre-back Gabriel Milito from Real Zaragoza.

Club president Joan Laporta said: "Hyypia is on our list. We have been studying him closely and Liverpool might be open to doing business."

Prising him away may prove difficult, with Reds boss Rafael Benitez keen to keep his most senior players.

Meanwhile, Arsenal midfielder Edu has revealed his admiration for the Nou Camp outfit.

And Arsenal could be ready to part with 26-year-old Edu, who is entering the final year of his contract at Highbury.

Playing for Barcelona represents a dream for me. I've known of their interest in me since January," the Brazilian told The Sun 'newspaper'.

"I already play for a great team at Arsenal, but for me Barcelona is a very special club," Edu added.

source: bbc.co.uk

Edited by pigeon

Playing for Barcelona represents a dream for me. I've known of their interest in me since January," the Brazilian told The Sun 'newspaper'.

If you are going to quote someone...don't change it unless you want to have legal cases brought against you for slander.

If you are going to quote someone...don't change it unless you want to have legal cases brought against you for slander.

Yeah, becasue The Sun's legal team regularly visit EWB.

Everton have almost signed Tim Cahill (Thank God) for £2 million, while Radzinski is having a medical with Fulham, and will leave for £1.75 million.

EDIT: Somehow I quoted twice. Strange.

Edited by evertonfan