Urban Meyer ready to accept coaching offer......

sahyder1

Report: Meyer offered Gators post

Dec. 3, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports   

Utah's Urban Meyer has been offered the Florida coaching job and is expected to accept it later Friday, the Florida Times-Union reported on its website.

Meyer's salary package is expected to be in excess of $2 million annually, one source said.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley denied that the school had reached an agreement with Meyer.

"The search is in progress," Foley told the newspaper. "The search is progressing."

A source close to the Utah coaching situation, however, told the Times-Union that Meyer met with Foley in Salt Lake City on Thursday, and Foley offered Meyer the job then. Meyer also met with Notre Dame officials on Thursday.

A source close to the UF coaching search said he expects Meyer to take the job, but Meyer wants to tell the Utah administration and players about his plans first.

Edited by sahyder1

This is a tad shocking. It was considered that Butch Davis was a lock for this job cuz Urban <3 ND and ND <3 Urban. But its a smart move, Florida is the easier job to turn around and its a better climate, easier to get players. Notre Dame needs to realize that they don't get what they want anymore just because they are Notre Dame. That Golden Dome bullshit dont fly anymore.

As for ND, I got a hankerin we may see Jon Gruden there

Reportedly, ND tried to get Meyer cheap, and blanched when he told them what they'd have to do to compete.

Personally, even as a minor Irish fan (I love the traditon), I'm loving this, because for too long ND has thought their better then the rest of the NCAA.

Plus, imagine what Meyer could do in Gainsville with Leak... :drool:

Reportedly, ND tried to get Meyer cheap, and blanched when he told them what they'd have to do to compete.

Personally, even as a minor Irish fan (I love the traditon), I'm loving this, because for too long ND has thought their better then the rest of the NCAA.

Plus, imagine what Meyer could do in Gainsville with Leak... :drool:

Yeah, Butch is gonna sit it out at least a year easily. Urban Meyer just left Notre Dame with their pants down though. They thought they had their hand-picked successor and he just plain said more or less "You guys stink, I can do better elsewhere." Good for Meyer, real bad for ND. They won't be able to get a decent coach for the amount they offer. And does anybody know if there are any other jobs springing up that Ty Willingham could possibly get? They should have at least let him finish the season ala Florida and Zook. And speaking of Ron Zook, he couldn't have turned too many people off because he is now getting offered the job at Illinois. Have fun in the Insight Bowl Fightin' Irish, you're gonna get smoked.