World Junior Hockey Championship

Jerichoholic23

This tournament wasn't even broadcasted on TV in USA last year, right? Just wondering...

Yeah, I have to agree with TSN for USA to win Gold, they need Montoya to step up. He hasn't so far. But I'd also say for Canada to win Gold, they need Glass/Beauchmen (sp?) to steph up, or else it will be the same fate as the last seven years.

EDIT - Watching CZE -v- SUI right now. Swiss have a two man advantage and are down one nothing. Just for 30 seconds, but should be interesting. I think these guys are the cinderella story if they win this game, I wouldn't doubt better than fifth place.

EDIT 2 - They hit the post.

Edited by Kevin Elliott

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE U.S.A (Hosts and Defending Champions) LOSE to BELARUS, 5-3

*This is Belarus first round robin win EVER and what a way to do it. 5-1 at one point in the game. The goalies of the U.S. need to start looking at tapes or something. Montoya still looked soft especially after that seemingly easy shot from the blue line but he LET IT IN and Schneider wasn't all that great as well.

Other News:

Finland 5 Sweden 4 (Finland comesback)

Slovakia 5 Germany 0

Czech Republic 5 Switzerland 2

Mike Richards (CAN) did not practice/skate on Wednesday...

I am watching the Canada\Finland game right now - it is 2-0 for Canada in the first intermission. Dominating performance again, but the Fins look pretty strong in comparison to other teams.

Anywho, in the intermission it is also 1-0 Russia over Switzerland. Should the Swiss win and USA/CZE game to to a tie, Russia is eliminated! However, if Russia and Czech Republic win, then Russia gets first. Pretty interesting how one team can get first or not even go for a medal!

Because of the huge snowstorm, the football (I think) arena in Grand Forks was lent for free to Canadians who can't drive home - the border is closed. :) Glad they are playing it safe.

Jerichoholic - the arena is full on the game right now.

EDIT - Lots of hockey insiders (The Hockey News is my main one, but others mentioned it) said USA need their goalie to play phenominal in the games that matter, and unless that happens they have no chance.

Edited by Kevin Elliott

Guest Mr McFarlane

I thought the US was supposed to win this tournament.  They barely beat Switzerland and lose to Belarus.  That is sad.  Russia might be the only challenge Canada has.  Seems to me that there are more fans at the Canadian games then when the US play.

Who watched the US/Sweden game last night? It really was a good game played by the US. Kessel played awesome, he had lots of chances to make it 4 goals last night. Montoya picked up his game, but that first goal for the Swedes was a great display on how to finish a 3 on 1. I can't wait to watch the US/Russia game tonight, hope US keeps up the good play.

I think Canada will have no problem with Russia in the finals. BTW the attendance figures are in and Canada averaged 600 more fans per game then the US. I just don't understand why most Americans don't like hockey. To me it is one of the greatest games to watch and play. The only reason I can think is cause the game is too fast for most. If you look at baseball and football both games are slow moving. Baseball is usually about a minute between plays. Same goes for football. Oh and where are the US fans now that they got beat badly in the semi's. I honestly think that Finland has a chance to beat them for the bronze. Not like it matters what medal they win, ESPN probably won't mention it till the end of Sportscentre.

It should be an exiting final. I'll be listening on the radio becasue I don't have cable. I'm predicting 4-3 Russia. Both teams have great offense, but the Canadians are better on the blue line. It should be interesiting how Ovechkin and Malkin perform for the Russians and how Crosby/Bergeron play for Canada.

Canada Rules The World...Again.

Canada's Game:

*Olympic Men's Gold

*Olympic Women's Gold

*World Championship Gold

*World Cup Gold

*World Junior Championship Gold

the only thing that's missing is the Stanley cup which won't be awarded anytime soon. But we still rule!

The game wasn't all that competitive but I am glad that Canada destroyed the Russians especially that punk Ovechkin, he got roughed up badly. Dion Phaneuf played awesome and Bergeron got the MVP, and rightfully so.

Time for a repeat. 2006!

and in the mean time. No Hockey :(

I was worried that Canada would lose it after the first, but damn 6-1 is a big win.

Did anyone else find it amusing that they broke off the bottom of that trophy?

I was watching them pass it around, one of the Canadian players passes it to a trainer or coach and the bottom of it falls off.

Anyways congrats to Canada.

WOW! I knew Canda was good, but not that good.

Ovechkin is such a little bitch. First he trashes Jeff Glass, then he gets hurt on an innocent looking hit and finally once they lose he crys.

Way to go Canada, clearly the top nation in hockey.

2002 Oylimpic Champions - Men

2002 Oylimpic Champions - Women

2004 World Cup Champions

2004 World Senior Champions

2005 World Junior Champions

Untouchable!