Angels change team name

Mofoticon

They might be able to grab a fanbase OUTSIDE Los Angeles, but in LA, and I'm not talking about the trendy wannabe actors and shit, I'm talking about the real people in LA, the Dodgers will always be the team.

I realize you're an Angel fan, but I know you don't live here. I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to say that in Los Angeles, they aren't ever going to be huge. They have a fanbase, its just in Orange County, the entire area their alienating.

Court, for now, denies attempt to block Angels name change

January 7, 2005

AP - Jan 3, 7:40 pm EST

More Photos

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) -- The city of Anaheim was denied a temporary restraining order Friday in its attempt to keep the Angels from adding Los Angeles to their name.

Superior Court Judge Peter Polos scheduled a hearing for Jan. 21 on the city's request for a preliminary injunction against the team, which says it is now called the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The city sued Wednesday, claiming the change wasn't permitted in the team's lease.

``This is the first inning of a very long game,'' city spokesman John Nicoletti said. ``We're encouraged by the fact that the judge does want to hear the case and scheduled a hearing so quickly.''

Anaheim, which has provided nearly $30 million in public subsidies to renovate the club's ballpark, says the change hurts its ability to market itself as a tourist destination -- a key issue for a city that depends on a hotel room tax as its largest source of income.

The Angels said the name change, which was announced Monday, is intended to increase fans, advertisers and broadcast contract, by emphasizing the team's connection to the nation's second-largest media market.

Team spokesman Tim Mead was pleased with the judge's decision.

``Today's favorable ruling is part of the procedure, and we feel very confident in the case that has been prepared by our attorneys,'' he said.