MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In dealing with Barry Bonds, let me just say one thing. I hate him. I hope he dies in the worst scenario possible. I would throw a fucking party for it, I'd be elated. Saying that, you can't take away from what he's done over the past 4 years and throughout his entire career overall. Every pitch he sees in the strike zone is either a near swing and miss or it's killed. He doesn't get fooled. My problem is how the media, after all the years of shitting on him now kisses his ass. Don't give me the steroid rant, we all know he is on something, but so was Big Mac and noone seemed to have that big of a problem with it. And didn't Ken Caminiti use roids during the 1999 MVP season of his. It's not uncommon but roids or no roids, Bonds is tearing it up. I don't think he should have won the MVP because his team didn't make the playoffs. Not saying that he can do everything but the MVP should have enough of an impact to get his team over the hump. Usually Bonds in a big spot will get walked, but this year there were a couple of occasions where he had a chance to be a hero late in the season and he couldn't get the job done. Neither could anyone else on the Giants though. I seem to be contradicting myself over and over, but to clarify I think what Barry Bonds is doing is great for the game of baseball, he puts asses in the seats and hits big home runs, but he can't win the big game and he needs to think about that when he keeps re-upping with San Fran. Barry needs to take his roided ass history making tour elsewhere, except LA cuz I hate him. j/k

RE-SIGN BELTRE YOU MORONS!!!!!!!

ESPN.com news services

TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays agreed to buy SkyDome, the team's ballpark, for about $21.24 million.

The 50,000-seat stadium, which opened in 1989, cost about $375 million to construct and was mostly funded by taxpayers. The Blue Jays, who are owned by Rogers Communications, will acquire the ballpark from Sportsco International LP, a Chicago-based group of investors who bought SkyDome out of bankruptcy court in 1999 for about $74 million.

"This will enable us to measurably improve the efficiency of our business operations," Blue Jays president Paul Godfrey said.

The sale is expected to close in December, the team said Monday. The Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts plan to move from SkyDome, which has a retractable roof, to a new 25,000-seat outdoor stadium in 2006.

The Blue Jays, who finished last in the American League East Division with a record of 67-94 this past season, won the World Series in back-to-back seasons beginning in 1992 but have not finished higher than third in their division since.

SkyDome is a retractable roof stadium with artificial turf and 110 private boxes.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

As for Jason Kendall, he definitely passed his prime. In the AL, you need power from your catcher. The small ball type stuff doesn't work as well and its not as if Oakland has a ton of power. But considering what they gave up for him, its a good deal. But there are plenty of catchers better than him out there. But Oakland's run is done anyway.

It's gonna be sad to see the Big 3 split up, but it was inevitable. But at least they still got one of the best 3B in the game in Eric Chavez. That team has done really well with regards to their record compared to how much they spend.

LA in 2005!!! (fuck that who am I kidding)

Guest kijlhumt

As for Jason Kendall, he definitely passed his prime.  In the AL, you need power from your catcher.  The small ball type stuff doesn't work as well and its not as if Oakland has a ton of power.  But considering what they gave up for him, its a good deal.  But there are plenty of catchers better than him out there.  But Oakland's run is done anyway.

Anaheim- Bengie Molina 10

Oakland- Jason Kendall 3

Texas- Rod Barajas 15

Seattle- Miguel Olivo 13

Minnesota- Joe Mauer (injured last year) 6

Chicago- Ben Davis 6

Cleveland- Victor Martinez 23

Detroit- Ivan Rodriguez 19

Kansas City- John Buck 12

New York- Jorge Posada 21

Boston- Jason Varitek (for now) 18

Baltimore- Javy Lopez 23

Tampa Bay- Toby Hall 8

Toronto- Kevin Cash 4

Here is all the AL catchers barring free agent moves or trades for next year with their 2004 home runs totals accompanying them. Kendall played much more than most of these guys but is at the bottom of the list in home runs. Joe Mauer hit twice as many in 35 games than Kendall hit in 147. Take into account though that Kendall is a leadoff hitter and Mauer bats from the 5 hole.

Yeah, but I was just taking the stats of the people that were healthy now and/or under contract (outside of Varitek) so that everyone could see how Kendall's HR #'s stood up to everyone else's. Kevin Cash is a garbage player, he hit .193 but still hit one more HR than Kendall did last year.

I see your points for OBP, but his power numbers are to like for my liking. 51 RBIs is not very good for an everyday catcher. Playing in Pittsburgh doesn't make a difference to me, s ince he ranked 8th on the team in that category. His RBI total was better then 12 other team's most common leadoff hitters. 4 of those 12 played less then 100 games. I'm not saying he isn't good, just not a top 5 catcher, and barely if even a top 10 catcher.

BTW, the newest rumor is that Arthur Rhodes could be traded to LA in a deal for Milton Bradley.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Milton Bradley is the man. He is crazy and gets big hits. I am surprised he didn't go after the fans before Artest did. Plus I think that Arthur Rhodes is garbage, even if LA needs a lefty out of the pen. Re-sign Beltre than get a big bat to play either first or the outfield and I like my chances with this team.

ewwwwwwww Arthur Rhodes.

Rumour is Littlefield is trying to package Rhodes in a deal with a propsect to Colorado for Charles Johnson (the Rockies are willing to eat 8 million of his 9 million contract, and johnson has said his preferred place to play next year is Pitt). Bradley is just a name being thrown around by fans, from what I can see.

Edited by Underage Politician

The Yankees are out of the Randy Johnson sweepstakes for now, but for good reason. Listen to this ridiculous proposal of what Arizona wanted from the Yankees, straight up for Johnson:

Javier Vazquez

Tom Gordon

top prospect Eric Duncan

top prospect Chien-Ming "Tiger" Wang

$12 million-$20 million cash

And for the Yankees to trade for one of the following ten pitchers to include in the trade:

Oakland's Tim Hudson

Oakland's Barry Zito

Florida's A.J. Burnett

Detroit's Jeremy Bonderman

Toronto's Ted Lilly

Los Angeles' Edwin Jackson

Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir

Colorado's Shawn Chacon

Colorado's Jason Jennings

Texas' Kenny Rogers

Ain't that a bit steep for just one person???

C'Mon, let the Unit finish his career with a team with a chance.

(hahahaha I said unit...)

so the Pirates trade a overpaid, but decent catcher and now they want a crappy overpiad catcher? If Colorado wasn't taking up 8 million of the contract, this deal would be murder.

The Yankees are out of the Randy Johnson sweepstakes for now, but for good reason.  Listen to this ridiculous proposal of what Arizona wanted from the Yankees, straight up for Johnson:

Javier Vazquez

Tom Gordon

top prospect Eric Duncan

And for the Yankees to trade for one of the following ten pitchers to include in the trade:

Oakland's Tim Hudson

Oakland's Barry Zito

Florida's A.J. Burnett

Toronto's Ted Lilly

Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir

Colorado's Shawn Chacon

Texas' Kenny Rogers

Edited by reyrey619

so the Pirates trade a overpaid, but decent catcher and now they want a crappy overpiad catcher? If Colorado wasn't taking up 8 million of the contract, this deal would be murder.

The Yankees are out of the Randy Johnson sweepstakes for now, but for good reason.  Listen to this ridiculous proposal of what Arizona wanted from the Yankees, straight up for Johnson:

Javier Vazquez

Tom Gordon

top prospect Eric Duncan

Oakland's Tim Hudson

Oakland's Barry Zito

Florida's A.J. Burnett

Toronto's Ted Lilly

Tampa Bay's Scott Kazmir

Colorado's Shawn Chacon

Texas' Kenny Rogers

I don't buy that rumor. If it is true though, Arizona is fucking stupid.