MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right-hander Matt Clement and the Boston Red Sox agreed Friday to a three-year deal worth $25.5 million, ESPN's Peter Gammons has confirmed.

Matt Clement

Starting Pitcher

Chicago Cubs 

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

GM  W  L  Sv  K  ERA

30  9  13  0  190  3.68

Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, told MLB.com that the deal would become official once Clement has a physical and financial terms are worked out. He also said Clement chose the Red Sox over the Angels, who offered a similar deal; he said during the winter meetings that seven teams -- including the White Sox, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Indians -- were pursuing his client.

"In the end, geography may have taken a prominent place," Axelrod told MLB.com of Clement's decision. "Matt's family and his wife's family are in Pennsylvania. The thought of his dad and other family members being able to easily get to Boston to see him pitch became a big factor for him. Who wouldn't want to pitch in front of their family at Fenway Park?"

Red Sox spokesman Glenn Geffner had no comment.

Clement went 9-13 with a 3.58 ERA and 190 strikeouts in 181 innings for the Chicago Cubs last season. In seven major-league seasons with the Padres, Marlins and Cubs, Clement is 69-75 with a 4.34 ERA.

The breaking up of the Big Three was inevitable but I can't believe how much crap that the A's got for Mark Mulder. Danny Fucking Haren? Kiko Calero? These guys are mediocre relievers at best and when Haren gets spot starts he gets shelled. Too bad he's going to be part of the new rotation. And this may not be over, rumors have been flying from the beginning that Zito was going to be the one to go, so now that the other two are gone, I don't think Billy Beane will hesitate to let Barry go if the offer is right. I know its garbage but I heard someone say on the radio the other day that Cleveland made an offer for Zito of pitcher Cliff Lee and third baseman/second baseman Casey Blake. If that were to go down the A's rotation would go from

Tim Hudson

Mark Mulder

Barry Zito

Rich Harden

Mark Redman

to

Barry Zito

Rich Harden

Cliff Lee

Danny Haren

Juan Cruz

Good job Beane, way to keep up with the rest of the AL West. I know you don't have the same money as Seattle, Texas, and Anaheim, but it's like you don't even want to have a chance, and then use your low payroll as an excuse.

It was reported in my local newspaper (Puerto Rico) that Jose "Tony" Valentin(free agent of the White Sox) has agreed to a one year, 3.5 million dollar contract with the Dodgers to play third base in the spot left by Beltre.

I think this is a stop gap move. Valentin has power, he can hit 20-22 homers a year but not much else. His defense is mediocre and he is past his prime. Bad move for the Dodgers.

Also, according to one sports analist, the Dodgers wont keep Javier Vazquez if they get him from the Yankees...he is likely going to be traded to the Chicago White Sox, but the players that are coming to LA for him where not revealed.

Is Paul DePodesta trying to sabotage the Dodgers? Now he has put Kazuhisa Ishii in the whole Randy Johnson deal and has backed off on the Yankees paying 3/4 of the money Vazquez is owed to him. This team is going to be unwatchable next year if this trade goes through and it'll just be sad. First LoDuca got shipped out, and I couldn't understand that, I got over it. I got over the fact that he got rid of Guillermo Mota in that same trade. I got over the fact that he couldn't bring Randy Johnson here with Brad Penny, Milton Bradley, and 5 prospects resulting from that trade. I am starting to lose faith in this guy this offseason though. Letting Beltre go after a career year? I know he's been semi-mediocre in the past but he's only fucking 25!!! He couldn't get the Hudson deal done and now he's trading Penny, Brazoban (who is filthy), Green, and Ishii and all he's getting back is a guy that proved he couldn't get the job done in a big market and two prospects, one of whom I saw play in person several times and wasn't too impressed with. And not to mention he traded for Steve Finley last year and he got the Dodgers into the playoffs with that 9th inning Grand Slam, DePodesta didn't even make an offer to him. What the fuck! And after all the losses he's had all he has signed so far is Jeff Kent and possibly Jose Valentin? This team made the playoffs last year and now they won't even sniff second place in the division. That's what Dodgers fans get for having a money ball guy come in, it's LA not Oakland you fucking cockbite.

Monday, December 20, 2004

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Orlando Cabrera agreed Monday to a $32 million, four-year contract with the Anaheim Angels, who made room by cutting David Eckstein.

Cabrera, a 2001 Gold Glove winner, was traded from the Montreal Expos to the Boston Red Sox in late July, replaced Nomar Garciaparra and helped the Red Sox win their first World Series title since 1918.

The 30-year-old Cabrera hit .264 with 10 homers and 62 RBI combined for the Expos and Red Sox. He batted .288 with 11 RBI in the postseason and didn't commit an error in 14 postseason games, then became a free agent and was replaced by Boston with Edgar Renteria, who agreed last week to a $40 million, four-year contract with the Red Sox.

Cabrera's deal calls for a $4 million signing bonus payable over four years, $5 million next season. $6.5 million in 2006, $7.5 million in 2007 and $9 million in 2008.

Eckstein, Anaheim's shortstop since 2001, batted .276 last season with two homers and 35 RBI in 142 games. He was a key contributor to the Angels' World Series title run in 2002.

So much for Cabrera and Renteria playing Trading Places...and from an ESPN.com article I read, Beane says that Zito is staying put. Their entire rotation next year will make $6.75 combined. Just hope that the unproven talent they brought in picks this year to go from unproven to proven or Beane is going to get lambasted.

So much for Cabrera and Renteria playing Trading Places...and from an ESPN.com article I read, Beane says that Zito is staying put.  Their entire rotation next year will make $6.75 combined.  Just hope that the unproven talent they brought in picks this year to go from unproven to proven or Beane is going to get lambasted.

According to ESPN, the whole Randy Johnson deal thing is now off. The Dodgers wanted all the players involved to take physicals. Well, Javier Vasquez flat out refused to do so, so now the Dodgers have withdrawn from the Randy Johnson sweepstakes. Back to the drawing board now for the Yankees and D'Backs.

Question to everyone: Now that the Dodgers are out of the running for Randy Johnson, which team will become the 3rd team in a potential deal to send the Big Unit to the Yankees?

According to ESPN, the whole Randy Johnson deal thing is now off. The Dodgers wanted all the players involved to take physicals. Well, Javier Vasquez flat out refused to do so, so now the Dodgers have withdrawn from the Randy Johnson sweepstakes. Back to the drawing board now for the Yankees and D'Backs.

Question to everyone: Now that the Dodgers are out of the running for Randy Johnson, which team will become the 3rd team in a potential deal to send the Big Unit to the Yankees?

Edited by sahyder1

DePodesta, I retort all the previous trash I have talked about you in the past week. Getting out of this deal has got you out of my dog house. You should have re-signed Beltre though because Jose Valentin is not even half the player that a bad Adrian was. Hopefully Jeff Kent can put up 30 and 120 this year.

Guest JoeyMadDogg

I've read that with the fall-out of the Dodgers, the Yankees and D-Backs may have a go just with a direct trade. Johnson to Yanks for Vazquez may be the trade.

The main thing I'm happy about is the Braves. I'm a big Braves fan. It sucks that they didn't resign Drew considering that his best year was with the Braves. I'm excited that they got Hudson from the A's, but extremely mad that they are putting the #2 closer in the NL as a starter. Why move him back as a starter, which is where he fucked up his arm in the first place. Kolb, they traded to get from Milwalkee, had one good year. Maybe he can have a good year with the Braves. I feel this trade was no good.

BOSTON -- It can no longer be said that Jason Varitek is the unofficial captain of the Boston Red Sox. Along with making it official that they had re-signed their invaluable catcher and leader to a four-year contract, the Red Sox immediately named Varitek their first captain since Jim Rice (1989) at a Christmas Eve morning press conference Friday at Fenway Park.

Merry Christmas indeed to Red Sox fans and players.

"Everyone knew he was the captain before, it was actually acknowledged, but I think it's a great honor that the Red sox were able to put the 'C' on his jersey and officially call him the captain of the team," said veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, who made a guest appearance at Varitek's press conference. "It means a tremendous amount not only to me personally, but to the team, and most important, to the city of Boston and Red Sox Nation."

It also meant quite a bit to Varitek, who learned of his new title during the press conference, when general manager Theo Epstein handed him home and road jerseys with a 'C' stitched on the top, right side.

Varitek joined Rice and Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski as the only captains the Red Sox have had since 1966.

"I'm extremely honored right now. I don't really know what to say. You add all these things together with it being Christmas Eve, a special day, but to have that honor, to hold this honor in this city and this region, for this team, is something I'll wear proudly," said Varitek. "For me, I can't change. I lead by my position, by what I do, by what I believe in."

Which is more than fine, as far as the Red Sox are concerned. To general manager Theo Epstein, naming Varitek the captain was more an acknowledgment of what he's done since 1998 and what he will continue to do until at least 2008 than asking him to take on additional responsibility.

"We could not be happier," Epstein said. "It's not every day that you're lucky enough to find a player who embodies everything you want a franchise to be. When you're lucky enough to have that player, you don't let him get away and you lock him up for as long as you can and you make him the rock of your franchise."

Over the last two months, Epstein has worked hard with agent Scott Boras to make Varitek's return a reality. Both sides seemed determined to make it happen. Instead of putting out feelers for his services, Varitek and his wife Karen instructed Boras to do everything in his power to get a deal done with Boston before listening to what other teams had to say.

The Red Sox and Varitek were able to strike a deal -- worth $40 million over four years -- some two weeks before the Jan. 8 deadline.

"This is a very unusual approach to free agency, but it was one that ended up with the major points of what Jason and [wife] Karen wanted out of their relationship with Boston," said Boras. "In today's marketplace, there would have been aggressive behavior for him and there was. That being said, that was not Jason's goal, his goal was, he wanted to be treated fairly and our mandate of fairness was really putting him not at the top, but certainly among the top catchers in the game."

Because Varitek places a tremendous priority on the stability of his family, a no-trade clause was vital to him. While the Red Sox didn't break club policy on that front, they instituted a new club rule -- one suggested by Boras -- that will indirectly give Varitek a no-trade clause by the end of 2005.

From here forward, players who already have a certain amount of no-trade protection in their contracts can not be traded by the Red Sox without permission if they have at least eight years of uninterrupted service with the team.

Varitek was called up to Boston in September, 1997, for good, meaning he will have eight years of continuous service in September, 2005. Trot Nixon will reach that status during the 2006 season.

"It's very rare for a player to be able to reach that level," said Epstein. "We feel that loyalty should be rewarded. That's a good policy. By definition, if a player is here eight years straight, he's given up at least two of his free agent years, if not more, to be here. I think that was a worthy compromise. It's a credit to Scott, who initially came up with the idea."

Varitek has been a figure of universal respect in the Red Sox clubhouse over the last several seasons, giving the Sox pop with his bat, stability with his glove and hours of work behind the scenes preparing the pitching staff.

Of course, Varitek has never enjoyed the personal attention. Even on his day, he was already thinking ahead to the 2005 title defense.

"I think the biggest thing is just having the opportunity to develop another championship team here, I think that's first and foremost," Varitek said. "That's what we do here and that's what we've done. Hopefully we have a foundation built big enough that we're able to do this in succession."

In 2004, Varitek hit .296 with 18 homers and 73 RBIs. In 832 Major League games, all with the Red Sox, Varitek is a .271 hitter with 97 homers and 418 RBIs.

Not that he's ever been measured much by his stats. Epstein acknowledged that you have to be on the inside to fully know what Varitek brings to a team.

"You have to be around the club every day, you have to see what the pitchers are like with Jason through the course of a year, what he does for them," said Epstein, "what kind of a stabilizer he is not only for the pitchers, but for the whole clubhouse. A lot of things in Boston make it difficult to go through the course of a 162-game season. The size of the clubhouse, the intensity of the fans, the volume of media that we have. I think you need forces to counterbalance that and Jason really counterbalances that. He's the ultimate stabilizer."

In an era where it's getting harder to identify players by their team uniform, Varitek is, in the minds of most, the epitome of the Red Sox.

"Being a Red Sox, this city, it pulls a lot out of me, because I think a lot of my values are like a lot of the fans' values, and a lot of the guys that play here have the same values," said Varitek. "They like to get dirty. Fans like us to get dirty. We want to play hard and leave what we have on the field and that's what they demand out of you."

And that's what the captain will continue to demand out of every one of his teammates for the next four seasons.

Finally, at least Boras came to his senses and took this offer before Boston got a chance to "low-ball" them later when no other teams make an offer.  And the two other people that were captains for the Red Sox, Jim Rice and Yaz, in my opinion Varitek is not on the same level as those guys.