The BAFTAS

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Well yet again Stephen Fry over egged the pudding as host providing very little real laughter from the audience.

The monotony of the unsurprising or downright foolish awards winners was broken by a handful of amusing moments worth savouring....

1) Clive Owen not realising he'd just been announced winner as Best Supporting Actor

2) Keanu Reeves looking thoroughly bored all night except when a bonnie Scottish lass called Morag stepped up to accept a BAFTA for best costumes or hair or something.

3) Gillian Anderson being completely off her face when announcing Foreign Language Film nominations and winner.

4) The two Eternal Sunshine winners actually appearing thrilled and lost for words for unexpectedly winning which was a lovely change.

5) That wee lass from Harry Potter who just about strung a sentence or two together. Bless her.

Anyways....

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Clive Owen (Closer)

Well deserved. Good actor, was glad he won it. Second most pleased of the night in fact. Have followed the guy since Croupier and Gosford Park.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett (The Aviator)

Not surprising. No real excitement for me in that category.

PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Aviator

I was gutted that House Of Flying Daggers didn't win. A wonderfully realised film.

BRITISH NEWCOMER: Amma Asanti (A Way Of Life)

No-one really seemed to care too much. Shame Mira Park for Shaun Of The Dead didn't win.

ORANGE FILM OF THE YEAR (VOTERS CHOICE): Harry Potter

Once again the British public show themselves to be plebs and a laughing stock to the world of cinema.

BRITISH FILM OF THE YEAR: My Summer Of Love

I HATE the look of this film. I've read reviews and seen reviews and the concept is infuriorating. Shaun Of The Dead must have been better!

VISUAL EFFECTS: Day After Tomorrow

Fair enough, never seen it though. I would again have gone for House Of Flying Daggers because it's effects are so beautifully simple yet breathtaking in design and realisation.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: The Motorcycle Diaries

Supposed to be great so fair enough. Again my fave was HOFD. Glad the child abuse/tranny film didn't win.

FILM MUSIC: The Motorcycle Diaries

Happy with that winning.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

HOORAH! The one I was happiest with all night! If that hadn't won, I'd have gone for Collateral.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Sideways

Nominated for one film and took the award. Good on it. Sounds like a great film.

BEST DIRECTOR: Mike Leigh (Vera Drake)

Now, don't get me started on the English vote. I'm sick to the back teeth of gritty Northern dramas and Mike Leigh harping on about them the whole time. This wouldn't be the result in Hollywood but we seem to feel we have to give awards to the plucky Brits. It should have gone to Michael Mann (Collateral) or Michel Gondry (ESOTSM)

BEST ACTOR: Jamie Foxx (Ray)

Fair play to the lad. Glad Carrey got the recognition of a nomination though.

BEST ACTRESS: Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake)

See my Best Director rant. Kate Winslet was put up for two separate films, and Eternal Sunshine was such a different and brave film for her in which she shone like the sun. Zhang Ziyi would also have been high on my voting list.

BEST FILM: The Aviator

Blah blah blah. Vaguely boring in parts and hardly an almighty film. We know my thoughts already, I'd have gone for Eternal Sunshine just cos it was so SPECIAL compared to the rest.

COSTUME DESIGN: Vera Drake

Oh whoop de do, she went to the charity shop to get clothes. My wife thought this winning was hilarious. It's hard to get wrong really.

MAKE UP AND HAIR: The Aviator

Fair play as the amount of grease DiCaprio had in his tresses certainly deserves an award.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Collateral

Brilliant. Very glad. The feel and look of the film was pretty much the best of any film all year.

SHORT FILM: The Banker

Seemed to be a film about a Sperm Bank. I suggest we all check it out NOW!

SHORT ANIMATION: Birthday Boy

The boy looked scary.

SOUND: Ray

Fair enough.

Editing: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.

HOORAH! They did an amazing job bringing that together.

ALSO, MESSAGE TO THE BBC......

NEXT YEAR DROP KAPLINSKY AND BRING BACK JONATHAN ROSS YOU PLEBS. WHAT ARE WE DOING? IT'S NOT STRICTLY COME DANCING IT'S A BIG FILM AWARDS CEREMONY! I DON'T WANT SILLY LITTLE INTERVIEWS AND SOUNDBITES OF HER ASKING KEANU REEVES WHO HE THINKS WILL WIN. THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE COUNTRY IS GOING DOWNHILL FAST! (See Orange Film Of The Year winner for more proof)

Sounds like a pile of shit awards but then again I'm very biased because I believe Eternal Sunshine should have won every award that it was involved in :)

Nice to see Harry Potter got an award though, fine with me. Yet SOTD should have got it, pure piss take there. These awards sound nearly as shit as what The Brits were.

Sounds like a pile of shit awards but then again I'm very biased because I believe Eternal Sunshine should have won every award that it was involved in  :)

Nice to see Harry Potter got an award though, fine with me. Yet SOTD should have got it, pure piss take there. These awards sound nearly as shit as what The Brits were.