World Championship Wrestling 2001

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

- R.E.M. It's The End of the World

user posted image

As you know it, Vincent Kennedy McMahon, the self-crowned king of Sports Entertainment, presided over the downfall of two of the most beloved wrestling promotions of recent memory, Extreme Championship Wrestling, and World Championship Wrestling. He went as far as to take two men who wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff, and make them little more then pawns in his own company, World Wrestling Entertainment.

Along the way, Vincent Kennedy McMahon succeeded in making, as Paul E. so succently put it, 'wrestling a dirty word'. No longer do you tune in on Mondays, Thursdays, and one (or two) Sunday's a month to watch wrestling. No, you watch 'Sports Entertainment', a bastardization of an artform that was once treated with the respect it deserves, and still is, in the rest of the world.

But what if that could change? What if, instead of Vincent Kennedy McMahon putting up the money, it had been a group consisting of the aforementioned Eric Bischoff, along with the two 'franchises' of the company, 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair, and Sting, who had bought World Championship Wrestling? Without a televised show, with an emasculated roster, and little in the way of funds, would these three, and one more, be able to make it work? Would a roster consisting of a few WCW stalwarts, some young guns, and a few suprises be enough to rebuild what had once been the most successful wrestling promotion in North America, if not the world?

Let's find out, shall we?

user posted image

Bear with me, as we begin. Night of Champions never happened. McMahon's never set foot in a WCW ring. Several WCW talents did take off for the World Wrestling Federation, but more on that later.

This is the final Ted Turner era World Championship Wrestling footage, from March 18th, 2001.

World Championship Wrestling Presents...

Greed

"This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper."

-T.S. Eliot

Main Entry: iro·ny

Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -nies

Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler

Date: 1502

1 : a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning -- called also Socratic irony

2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play -- called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

4 : naming your last ever PPV “Greed” when you’re losing close to 80 million dollars a year and getting the lowest buyrates in the history of wrestling.

- Okay, now we’ve got that burst of literary silliness out of the way…

- Live from Jacksonville, FL

- Yours hosts are Tony & Scott

- It should be noted that for the sake of my own sanity, I’m totally ignoring all the retarded backstage skits with the Magnificent Seven (wasn’t that Dustin’s original gimmick?) and the bizarre interview with the tag champs where they stand there staring at something to the right of the camera.

- Opening match: Kwee Wee v. Jason Jett. This would be a Special Bonus Attraction, because nine matches just wasn’t enough. Kwee attacks and they brawl on the floor. Jett superkicks him and comes off the top with a tope. Back in, a 2nd rope legdrop gets two. He hooks an inverted Boston Crab, ala Kanyon, and drops an elbow for two. Kwee Wee gets a forearm and tosses him out by the hair! He misses a suicide dive, however. Jett hits the Matt Hardy handspring DDT against the ring apron and back in we go. Flipping clothesline and standing moonsault gets two. Holy shit, they’d better hurry up and bury this guy – they’ve only got two weeks left in the company and he might get over or something! Blind charge misses and Kwee Wee sends him over and out in a nasty bump. Brawl outside and Jett eats railing. Back in, Kwee Wee gets two. Jett fights back, but walks into a Thesz Press for two. Angry Allan Funk re-emerges from Kwee Wee as he dominates, and thank god because it’s impossible to type “Kwee Wee” and expect the guy to be taken seriously. They go upstairs and Jett tries a top rope powerbomb, reversed in mid-air by Funk into a rana. I love that spot. Funk gets a tilt-a-whirl for two. Piledriver attempt is blocked with a lowblow and Jett handsprings off the ropes with an elbow. Funk escapes the drop suplex and gets a sunset flip for two. Piledriver is reversed by Jett, but Funk hits a northern lights suplex for two. They collide in the corner and Funk ends up outside, so Jason feigns unconsciousness, and tells the crowd to play along. Now, see, THAT’S the sort of thing babyfaces don’t do anymore and should, because it gets the kids into it. If there’s one thing wrestling crowds love, it’s participating in the match. Funk falls for it and goes up, but misses an elbowdrop, and the Crash Landing suplex finishes at 12:15. Great opener, too bad Jett’s gonna be out of work before he can make anything of this push. ***1/2

- Cruiserweight tag title match: Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo v. Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio Jr. Kidman and Romeo start, and Kidman gets a headscissors, but Romeo hits a release powerbomb and the heels double-team for two. Kidman dropkicks Skipper out to the apron, and the Animals hit the guillotine legdrop for two. Skipper clobbers Rey, but Rey gets a headscissors that puts Skipper out. Kidman baseball slides him and everyone fights up the ramp. The heels end up on the floor beside the stage, and the Animals come barrelling off the stage with a pair of dives onto them. I’m frankly shocked Jeff Hardy hasn’t thought of trying that yet. Back in, double-chokeslam on Skipper gets two. Cheapshot puts Kidman on the floor and he becomes YOUR jobless-face-in-peril. Romeo hits a short-arm clothesline on him, and they exchange chops. Romeo lifts Juvy’s Rube Goldbergian bulldog and we HIT THE CHINLOCK. Front suplex gets two for Romeo. Skipper beats on Kidman outside, and back in where Kidman blocks a superplex with a Rydien bomb. Hot tag Rey Rey, and he hits a spinning DDT on Romeo. Skipper misses a charge and goes out, and Rey takes out Romeo, and then dives out on Skipper. I can’t really do the beauty of that spot justice here. Just the way Rey strung everything together into one motion was awesome. Romeo follows with a plancha, and Kidman them all with the shooting star press. Back in, Skipper crotches Rey, but gets powerbombed for two. Skipper uses a choke for two. Kidman gets an inverted suplex on Romeo for two. Skipper hits a tiger suplex on Rey and holds them there while Romeo comes off the 2nd rope with a legdrop for two. Awesome spot. Kidman bulldogs Elix as Rey powerbombs Romeo, and then Kidman goes up and splashes Romeo for two. Broncobuster for Skipper, and Rey cannonballs Romeo off the top after teasing the Nutcracker. Rey gets a quebrada on Romeo, but Romeo simply shifts his weight and catches Rey, then hits the northern lights bomb (Snow Plow) for the pin and the titles at 13:42. I cannot praise this match enough. ****1/4

- Shawn Stasiak v. Bam Bam Bigelow. After the first two matches, this is like a sick joke on me. Stacy is in Miss Hancock mode tonight. I attempted to draft a new rule for watching WCW PPVs during this match (“No talking during Stacy’s promo”) but of course it’s kind of a moot point now. Stasiak works a headlock, but gets overpowered and bails. Back in, more stalling. They exchange punches and Bigelow gets an avalanche, leading to the Mecca of Merde bailing again. Bigelow follows and meets the stairs up close. Back in, Stasiak gets a flying bodypress and stalls. Various and nefarious heel schemes follow. Bigelow comes back and goes up for the big headbutt for two, but Stacy throws the last remaining bottle of Rick Martel’s Arrogance into the ring so that Stasiak can lay claim to ripping off Martel, Rick Rude AND The Rock, a new record even by WCW standards, and sprays Bigelow for the pin at 5:57. A star is SO not born. DUD

- Lance Storm & Mike Awesome v. Konnan & Hugh Morrus. Did we REALLY even need to see this match? Big brawl and Awesome clobbers Morrus with a lariat. Morrus & Storm exchange chops and Hugh gets a powerslam for two. Awesome hits the big boot and legdrop for two. Team Canada works Morrus over as he plays face-in-peril for a bit. Hot tag Konnan, but he gets nailed in short order and Awesome splashes him for two. Konnan walks into a Storm elbow for two. Storm beats on him outside, and back in for two. Awesome hits a top rope forearm for two. Storm gets a dropkick and legdrop and hits the chinlock. Awesome piledriver gets two. Storm misses whatever off the top and Konnan makes the hot tag. Leg lariat gets two on Awesome for Morrus. A pair of avalanches follow, but Storm superkicks him and an Awesome frog splash gets two. Morrus gets a bad-looking german suplex, but Awesome blocks the moonsault with a running Awesomebomb for the pin at 11:10. Just going through the motions all the way here. *

- Cruiserweight title match: Chavo Guerrero Jr. v. Shane Helms. Helms has actual tights now instead of the MC Hammer parachute pants. Chavo works a headlock in tenacious fashion, and they go into a neato reversal sequence. Criss-cross and Chavo gets a lariat, but Shane escapes a suplex hits his own. Fistdrop gets two. Chavo gets a T-Bone for two and does some boot-raking. Into an STF and he works the knee with a bridging deathlock. Backdrop suplex gets two. Slugfest and Chavo gets a rollup for two, reversed to a powerbomb, reversed to a DDT for two. Chavo wraps him in the corner and dropkicks him. Pumphandle slam gets two. Helms gets dumped, but blocks a quebrada. Chavo keeps coming with a tope, however. Back in for two. Shane comes back with a facebreaker and neckbreaker, and it’s a double KO. Helms superkicks Chavo to the floor and back in for two. Another superkick misses and Chavo gets a Curtain Call for two. Tornado DDT is blocked, and the pumphandle is reversed to Nightmare on Helm Street for two. Blind charge misses and Chavo hits the floor. Helms hits a frog splash to the floor, and back in for a crossbody that gets two. Back upstairs but he gets crotched for two. To the top, Shane blocks a superplex, so Chavo tries a Vertebreaker, which is of course reversed by Shane to his own Vertebreaker, and that’s enough for the pin and the title at 13:55. I dunno, the match was good in a technical sense, but not as good as at Sin and it just felt like an exhibition of spots rather than a coherant match. Certainly nowhere near the tag match earlier in the night. ***

- WCW World tag titles: Sean O’Haire & Chuck Palumbo v. Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell. Brawl to start, superkick from Palumbo for both heels, followed by the Seanton for both for the double pin at 0:52. And that, as they say, is that. DUD Good, if Luger wants to act like a fucking baby everytime he jobs, then make him go out and lay down in under a minute for a rookie. Maybe if they had taken this route three years ago with certain other people they wouldn’t be where they are now. I wholeheartedly applaud WCW for having the guts to stand up to Luger and I hope both he and Bagwell sit at home for a long time and realize just how little they mean to wrestling now.

- Kanyon v. The Cat. Brawl outside, and back in for some stalling. Cat gets an electric chair drop and a seated dropkick. Powerbomb and he dumps Kanyon, and they brawl some more. Kanyon takes over and gets a flying lariat for two. Suplex and elbowdrop get two. Top rope fameasser gets two. Sleeper reversal spot and Cat suplexes out. Kanyon neckbreaker gets two. Kanyon goes up and gets crotched. Superplex gets two. Cat dances to come back and hits the Big Kick for two. Kanyon uses the ropes for the pin, but the ref waves it off. He reverses a piledriver into a Boston Crab, and Cat escapes. The Feliner gets two. Kanyon reverses a suplex for two, ref gets bumped. Miss Jones gets involved, Kanyon takes a kick, and the Feliner finishes at 11:15. Kanyon was so obviously sleepwalking through this that he might as well have worn pajamas to the ring. *1/2

- US title match: Rick Steiner v. Booker T. Steiner attacks and dumps Booker into the front row, and they brawl. Back in, Steinerline gets two. Tiger Driver gets two. We HIT THE CHINLOCK, a common occurance for Rick these days. Booker fights back, but gets clobbered because god forbid Rick Steiner should sell for someone. Rick goes back to the resting after cutting off Booker’s offense. What a jerk. If anyone deserves to be unemployed because of the end of the Turner gravy-train, it’s Steiner. Booker gets a suplex, but Steiner no-sells and hits a belly-to-belly for two. Booker’s sunset flip gets two, but Steiner casually clotheslines him for two and it’s Rest-lemania X7. Booker comes back with the axe kick and a flapjack, and the ref is bumped. Steiner won’t sell. Shane Douglas appears at ringside, decks Steiner with the cast (which he won’t sell, either) and the Bookend finishes at 7:36. Yawn. ½*

- Dusty & Dustin Rhodes v. Ric Flair & Jeff Jarrett. Flair has his oh-so-trendy Hawaiian shirt on tonight. Jarrett attacks Dustin to start, and Dustin dominates. He posts Jarrett, but misses whatever off the top. Flair comes in and punches away. Dusty comes in and the crowd erupts. That is sad on so many levels. Dusty throws some chops, and unloads with the elbow and Flip Flop & Fly. Dustin back in, and he takes on both heels. Flair goes to low to end that. Heels beat on Dustin, and work the knee. Dustin backslides Flair for two. Jarrett gets a figure-four for a two-count. Dustin reverses, and shoves Jarrett into the corner on another try. Hot tag Dusty, ELBOWS FOR EVERYONE. I’m surprised they didn’t hire Tully Blanchard and Ole Anderson on a one-night deal to run in and take them, too. Sadly, the crowd isn’t quite sophisticated enough to know to make a “Hoo!” sound whenever Dusty hits someone. I guess it’s an NWA thing or something. Flair takes the Big Fat Elbowdrop for two. Dustin lariats both, but the heels go low and try stereo figure-fours. That of course backfires, as they get shoved into each other, and Dustin gets the Worst Rollup Ever on Flair for the pin at 9:55. Entertaining crap. **1/2 Dusty does a Stinkface on Jarrett, but only half-heartedly.

- WCW World title: Scott Steiner v. Diamond Dallas Page. Slugfest and DDP gets a neckbreaker for two. He goes up with a lariat for two. To the floor, where Steiner gets the upper hand. Back in, DDP necksnaps him, but Steiner no-sells. Into the crowd, where they happen to encounter a kid, on crutches, with a DDP t-shirt. Where’s the old lady in the front row so Steiner can rip up her autograph book? The crutches get used, of course. A table gets set up, and DDP puts Steiner through it. Back to ringside, Page gets two with some plunder. Into the ring, DDP gets crotched, clotheslined, and elbowdropped for two. T-Bone suplex gets two. Into the bearhug, and from there a suplex gets two. Page comes back, but walks into a suplex for two. DDP gets a fluke DDT and lariat, and he slugs away. Steiner uses the ropes for two. DDP gets another DDT, but Steiner goes low and DDTs him in turn. Diamond Cutter, but Rick Steiner punks out the ref. DDP whips Scott into Rick for two. Steiner uses the belt for two and DDP busts out a manly bladejob. Unfortunately the good will is ruined because Steiner goes for a Boston Crab and DDP tries to rip off the Austin WM13 visual. He even does the bit where he slowly raises his head and yells while dripping blood. The statute of limitation on angle theft is seven years, Page. He makes the ropes, but Scott simply puts him in the Recliner. He makes the ropes again, so Scott beats the shit out of him with his foam pipe, hooks the Recliner again, and that’s enough for DDP at 14:13. If they had a monster babyface to play Scott against, this run would be great, but they don’t, so it’s not. DDP got his usual solid match in, however. ***1/2

The Bottom Line: Well, this is likely my final WCW PPV rant, and honestly after twenty-some years of following this promotion, I can’t say I’m particularly sad to see it put out of it’s misery. Hopefully the few talented and hard-working people in the promotion will find sanctuary in the WWF, and as for everyone else…well, no one forced you to sign the cushy deal with the creative control, did they? Enjoy early retirement, guys. You’re getting EXACTLY what you deserve.

Thumbs up for the last ever WCW PPV, but it’s pretty silly to worry about that sort of thing at this point. Just another $30 a month I can spend on something else now.

Last one out of WCW, turn out the lights.

user posted image

Holy shit.

I've always wanted to see a high calibar writer go with WCW 2001. There are endless possibilities, and so many different things can be done with this. It looks like we finally have a highly regarded writer controlling WCW 2001, and this sure as hell is going to be interesing. Short and sweet most probably, but nevertheless, this is going to be fucking awesome to read while it lasts.

And err, give Shane Helms and Mike Awesome a fair crack of the whip, eh?

Well, I'm shocked, I actually find a WCW diary interesting. Congratulations, and I DO hope to see this stay alive for a while, even if it means rare updates, DO IT FOR THE FANS SYCO!

Just wanna see something of your own writing to see how you can change it. (Y)

Days passed. Contracts were signed, both with WCW, and the WWF. Many older workers simply didn't want to take a chance with the 'new' WCW, while many 'name' wrestlers decided to try their luck with the WWF. At the end, we looked at the stack of contracts, and we had something like this:

Air Paris

AJ Styles

Billy Kidman

Booker T

Marcus 'Buff' Bagwell

Chris Kanyon

Chuck Palumbo

David Flair

Diamond Dallas Page

Elix Skipper

Evan Karagias

Hugh Morrus

Jamie Noble

Jason Jett

Jeff Jarrett

Johnny The Bull

Kaz Hayashi

Kid Romeo

Konnan

Lance Storm

Leia Meow

Mark Jindrak

Mike Awesome

Mike Sanders

Norman Smiley

Paisley

Rey Misterio Jr.

Ric Flair

Sean O'Haire

Shane Douglas

Shane Helms

Shannon Moore

Shawn Staskiak

Stacy Keibler

Stevie Ray

Sting

Torrie Wilson

Yang

We were very fortunate that Booker T elected to stay with us, as he carried the WCW United States Title. He, along with Diamond Dallas Page, both cited their hard work in making WCW what is had been as their reason for staying. Other suprises included Shane Helms and Shannon Moore, who many thought would try their hand with their friends in the WWF, as well as Marcus 'Buff' Bagwell, who many thought would attempt to make the move up. Another suprise was Rey Misterio Jr., though he is a very welcomed one.

The disappointment also came, as Chavo Guerrero Jr. elected to join his blood, in Eddie, in the WWF, while Vince also offered lucrative contracts to both Goldberg, and The Wall. Kevin Nash also secured a contract in Stamford through his friendship, as well as getting Scott Hall signed. Lastly, Dustin Rhodes moved up north to re-don the facepaint as Goldust. A devastating loss was Scott Steiner, who decided to 'take his ball and go home' as Sting put it, despite being the current WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

Days moved forward, as we prepared both for the unknown of the future, as well as proposals to several television networks. While plans were to hold Spring Stampede as advertised on April 15th, what came after that was far, far, from known, as we would soon come to find out.

user posted image

Edited by sycodmn

user posted image

Current Champions

Updated April 2nd, 2001

user posted image

World Heavyweight Championship

user posted image

Booker T

Won April 15th, 2001

user posted image

United States Heavyweight Championship

user posted image

Lance Storm

Won April 15th, 2001

Diary Title History

Booker T V1

user posted image

World Cruiserweight Championship

user posted image

Shane Helms

Won March 18th, 2001

user posted image

World Tag Team Championships

user posted image

Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire

Won January 14th, 2001

The Hardcore Championship, and Cruiserweight Tag Team Championships were both retired.

user posted image

Edited by sycodmn

user posted image

LIVE, from Atlanta, Georgia

Sunday, April 15th, 2001

Card Subject to Change

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Both Men WILL Wrestle Twice!

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Booker T

One Last Fall, To Solve It All!

'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair vs. Sting

WCW United States Championship

Triple Threat Match

Booker T vs. Lance Storm vs. Mystery Opponent

WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Shane Helms vs. Jamie Knoble

WCW World Tag Team Championships

Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire vs. Rey Misterio Jr. and Billy Kidman

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Marcus 'Buff' Bagwell

All this action, AND MORE! Don't miss it! Call your local Pay Per View provider, Satellite provider, or yo' momma, because you won't want to miss this night of action! WCW will never die, and at Spring Stampede... WE PROVE IT!

user posted image

Edited by sycodmn

Guest Mike Awesome Fan

great card

I hope the mystery opponet is Mike Awesome who turns on Lance Storm and wins the US title.

I just got one question, where did scotty steiner go?

user posted image

Guest MrBenjamin

WoW, I'm impressed so far...Too bad Chavo decided to go to the WWF with his uncle Eddie. Steiner was a big player but hopefully you can make some big names with all the guys you have.

The card for Stampede looks awesome, the Tag Title Match is going to bring some good ratings, and I really can wait to see who becomes the New World Heavyweight Champion!

Without wanting to add to the layers of meaningless posts, I was a big WCW fan, so it's nice to see another diary in this period, so I felt like I had to. Adgray had a pretty solid one, but that went on hiatus and so it's nice to see a good writer taking on the challenge.

The title tournament seems strange, as Booker T is pretty much your only viable option and all the signs point towards him winning, but I could be wrong - as Flair is too old to carry the company, crow Sting doesn't work as well with the belt and DDP was never a major player. It's interesting to see where you'll go, but I would have suggested a major monster heel playing some part, someone in the mould of a Mike Awesome who isn't incredibly over but would, IRL, be seen by the marks (well, imaginary marks) as a legitimate threat. The tournament would have also been a nice chance to elevate someone, even if they lost - but judging by the fact that many big names are gone, I'm guessing that's your plan.

I'm again guessing that the mystery man would be a certain Mr PPV, as he had a deal with Fuscient before that deal fell through so that makes the most sense, but again it would be interesting at the least to see who you think would fit the mould. Somebody is needed to carry the company anyway, either him or Booker T anyway.

The card, and I hope you won't take offense to this as none is intended, isn't particularly awe inspiring - but there is only so much you can do without a TV show, though I wait to see how the main events and the US title match turns out. You're a talented writer and hopefully, for my reading sake at least, you'll be able to make a good go of this.

Hoorah! A talented writer does WCW in it's waning days. This looks like it will be great syco. A few wishes: fire Torrie Wilson, please syco for the love of god fire her or give her some meaningless gimmick I beg you! Also, strap a manager on Shane Helms and push him to the moon. If he ever becomes WCW Champion in this diary you will instantly become my favorite diary writer ever (if you weren't already...). And while you're at it, make sure Palumbo and O'Haire stay in the spotlight. I always felt bad those two never got to truly shine after WCW's demise. And now that the formalities are done with, here's my prediction for the card.

I figure someone will run in and beat down Booker since he won the U.S Title match.

Tough decision but hopefully Sting will walk out victorious. No run-ins I hope.

Triple Threat Match

Booker T, with the mystery opponent being...Jarret or Awesome I suppose. Whoever it is will run in and screw Booker in the main event.

Shane Helms, because he is the man. No more statements necessary.

Have to give it to the reigning champs here. Should be an awesome match.

Only giving this to Buff so it will make DDP look like he'll lose the main event.

I wish you the best of luck with this diary syco, this is one I don't want to miss out on.

EDIT: Just had to fix a few grammar mistakes. :pinch:

Edited by Jack Krauser

You should be very proud of the backstory. It's going to exciting to see what you do without a Television show. It should be a tough thing to write and figure out how to book matches without hype.

Good luck.

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

Triple Threat Match

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

Booker T

'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair

Triple Threat Match

Lance Storm

Shane Helms

Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire

Diamond Dallas Page

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

- Booker T is the biggest star the company has created for a long, long time, and so giving the belt to DDP would be kinda counter-productive in my opinion.

- I say Sting goes over here. Sting is the francise of WCW; the only major player who's stayed in one company for over ten years. Basically, Sting is WCW, and I see him pulling off the victory here.

Triple Threat Match

- I don't know who the mystery opponent is, but I'm routing for him anyway, since I don't think you'd let Booker hold two titles at once.

- I went with the Suga here. He's only a few weeks into a successful Cruiserweight title reign, and I don't see it ending yet. Especially to somebody like Jamie Knoble, with no build whatsoever.

- I'm hoping you'll push O'Haire on his own, and I thought that maybe giving the Animals the main tag belts will be paying them back for retiring the cruiserweight straps.

- There's no way you're letting one of your co-main eventees lose to Buff frickin' Bagwell on the same night. Especially when I think that co-main eventee is losing later on already.

My choices are of course underlined.

-- Booker is your only viable choice at this point for carrying the company, so I'd have to say him.

-- For loyalty's sake, Sting. They'll shake hands afterwards, I'm sure

Triple Threat Match

-- I'm anticipating this being Van Dam, based on the fact that he almost went to WCW in 2001, and I'll pull for him winning.

-- Pulling the title off of Helms this early would be a travesty, and he'd just superkick you into a wall for doing it anyway. Oh yeah!

-- No sense in putting the belts onto the cruiserweights in a fairly 'big' division, if my memory of the programming of the time serves me. Would they be credible champs in a heavyweight divison? Maybe not. If you're making lots of lightweight teams, though, in the fallout from the Cruiserweight Tag division's death, you may put the strap on them though. We shall see.

-- Bagwell does not belong in employment with this or any other company. Make it a Handgun-on-a-Pole match. I know loads of people who would kill to see THOSE results!

A WCW diary with potential and a talented writer at the helm? Colour me interested!

RK!

user posted image

LIVE, from Atlanta, Georgia

Sunday, April 15th, 2001

Card Subject to Change

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

Triple Threat Match

All this action, AND MORE! Don't miss it! Call your local Pay Per View provider, Satellite provider, or yo' momma, because you won't want to miss this night of action! WCW will never die, and at Spring Stampede... WE PROVE IT!

user posted image

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

DDP. You see my prediction is Booker loses the U.S. title to the Mystery Opponent. Now if this opponent is someone who's never wrestled before in WCW and he wins, and then Booker wins the World Title, he not only makes DDP look weak but the WCW Title look weak.

Flair for one last win before fading into the shadows.

Triple Threat Match

Mystery Opponent, The Sandman :shifty:

Knoble wins to move Helms on up the card, and get him away from the Cruiser title. Knoble is built as either an unstoppable Champ, or a cheating champ.

Palumbo and O'Haire, Misterio and Kidman, although over, aren't a legit tag team.

Bagwell :shifty:

DOUBLE MAIN EVENT

I'll be honest, I was a bit disappointed you just picked the top two guys and gave them a crack at each other for the belt with no build up or any sort of tournament. I'd rather have seen something a bit more meaningful to crown the new champion. That said I think you'd have to go with Booker to win and I'll explain more as to why under the US title

With two faces in the main event I think it'd have to be a Nature Boy playing the heel role that wins out here as two main events with nothin dastardly would be a bit wrong.

Triple Threat Match

I think you'll have Booker lose, and then go on to be world champion. Storm was set for a big push in WCW at one point and this is the perfect way to revive it. Have him beat Booker, who then goes on to win the World Title. Storm then has the US title to run with, and the claim that he's beaten the world champion setting you up with an excellent challenger for Booker somewhere down the line.

"Suga" Shane was awesome, Noble was generic. Helms all the way baby

Palumbo and O'Haire were really getting good by this point and O'Haire was developing really quickly. Having those two credible champions losing to two midgets is a bad idea. O'Haire, allegedly, is the future of your promotion. Having people like Rey and Kidman winning matches won't help that.

Buff adds little to the promotion any more. He's not that good in the ring and his character got boring a long time ago. Unlike Storm going over Booker I can't see anything good coming out of a Bagwell win over DDP.

Great looking card though. Loved the backstory. It always inrtigues me how successful, or not, WCW could have been if they'd stayed in business. Will be interestin to see what you do with it, but they can be rebuilt, slowly.