Alkaline Trio - Crimson

YI

I don't really like making threads for individual bands and such but yeah, decided to do this as I was bored.

Not sure about the WareZ rules and whatnot now they've been slackened but has anyone heard the leak of Alkaline Trio's new album (It's got an even shitter name than "Good Mourning" at least they didn't go with the original nam or so i've heard of "Church and Destroy").

So yeah, listened to it. Production has been upped (You can tell that even on the poor quality rip), also there's introductions of strings and piano's (Both are good and aren't used much, the piano interludes in 'Bleed' and at the beginning of 'Time to Waste' are both awesome.

Anyway, nothing really new from the band. Matt seems to have recovered from the throat infection (It was something like that) which screwed up his vocal work on Good Mourning. Dan is just steady reliable Dan, however the drumming has improved IMO.

It takes a few listens to really sink in then you start to appreciate it. Unfortunately for those expecting an album full of Warbrain's you don't get it (Not even in style, it's darker like previous albums, following along the route of Good Mourning). Someways I like that, Warbrain though an awesome song, if Trio did a full album like that (With the sort of dark sound) it just wouldn't seem like Trio to me.

One thing is bugging me is that they seem to rely an aweful lot on the quiet verse, kick in for the chorus routine, it gets a bit too obvious after a while. They've got their slow songs (Your Neck, Smoke, Sadie, Bleed - which is more rocky) their fast songs, it's a solid album, can't put it in the Trio scale of albums yet (Only counting GD, MICF, FHTI, GM. With the order being MICF-FHTI-GM-GD. GD just doesn't do it for me on a whole, it has some awesome songs like 'My Friend Peter' but lots are naff).

Favourite songs.....

Death Bed (Catchy as hell, the chorus is good as it's melodic and the guitars are quiet, stand out song)

Mercy Me (Dan and Matt sing the entire verse together in harmony, that doesn't happen alot in Trio songs. The chorus is really catchy)

Stained in Satin (Love the chorus, again like Death Bed the chorus is gently built up, it's not like "BAM" here's the chorus.

Bleed (I would label this song rock, sounds a little nu-metalish or whatever you'd call Breaking Benjamin, has that sort of feeling, though I don't listen to nu-metal so i'm probably way off what it sounds like, but the guitar noise reminds me a little of that Adema song from a while back. Again great chorus. Lyrically good, though at the beginning the first few lines are iffy, when you listen you'll tell why, it was like lets think of a word that rhymes with this word.)

Your Neck (Has the Maybe I'll Catchy Fire, I lied my Face off kind of vibe)

Back to Hell (This will more than likely be the video, it's fast, hard but not too hard, catchy. It's sort of like We've Had Enough)

It's hard to pick some, they're all good in their own way. I wanted to pick 5, but I threw Back to Hell on as it will more than likely be the video/single, whatever. It's a solid album, definately not their best work, but with upped production it's probably going to be fairly easy to get into for new fans.

So the purpose, anyone else heard it. What do you think.

Edited by YI

I hope they come back to the UK this year. They were awesome when I heard them after GM was released. 'I Was a Prayer' is now in my top five (It's so beautiful and soft and fluffy :shifty:) it'll probably replace 'Stained in Satin' on there. I don't know whether it's just the lackluster quality of what, but the album seems a lot more relaxed from GM (Not as heavy), it sounds awesome. I so want to here some of this live (Bleed's chorus has "Mosh to fuck" written all over it).

Obtained it the other day, not best pleased, Bleed is far and away my favourite, other than that there aren't many standouts, Death Bed is pretty good and Mercy Me, other than that I'm not amazed.

Still, it beats yourcodenameis:milo's album.

Obtained it the other day, not best pleased, Bleed is far and away my favourite, other than that there aren't many standouts, Death Bed is pretty good and Mercy Me, other than that I'm not amazed.

Still, it beats yourcodenameis:milo's album.

Edited by YI

Cause I don't want to watch the worst incarnation of emo ever, whether he be sucking cause he's drunk or sucking cause he's sober...

I really don't know which is worse

Cause I don't want to watch the worst incarnation of emo ever, whether he be sucking cause he's drunk or sucking cause he's sober...

I really don't know which is worse

Edited by Quom