Marathons

sahyder1

Red Sox wives to run in Boston Marathon

Shonda Schilling among those competing in annual event

The Associated Press

Updated: 7:25 p.m. ET April 17, 2005

BOSTON - The Schillings have a very busy day planned for Monday.

advertisement

Curt will be pitching his second game of the season an hour before Shonda runs in the Boston Marathon, which starts at noon.

“It’s unique,” he said Sunday. “It’s going to be a special day.”

It may not end that well if he struggles for the Boston Red Sox against the Toronto Blue Jays in the Patriots’ Day game starting at 11:05 a.m.

“If he’s losing, I’m dreading the end of the race because I don’t want to go home to him,” Shonda said with a smile.

The wives of two Red Sox players and one club executive planned to run the race for charities. Shonda Schilling is raising money for the SHADE Foundation for skin cancer awareness and for research into ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Dawn Timlin, wife of reliever Mike Timlin, also is running for ALS research. Stacey Lucchino, wife of team president Larry Lucchino, is running to raise money for cancer research.

“I definitely am not doing it as an athletic endeavor” but rather to raise money, said Stacey Lucchino, who has run about six half-marathons.

ALSO ON THIS STORY

Spirit of Boston Marathon looms this year

Shonda Schilling ran in a marathon in Arizona last January — but this is her first in Boston — and has been training in long pants and a long shirt to protect her from the sun. She was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2001 and is no longer afflicted with it but said for a while she was reluctant to expose herself to the sun.

Running outdoors “is really about taking my life back and not being scared anymore,” she said.

Dawn Timlin said she finished the race in 4 hours, 29 minutes last year.

“I hate running,” said her husband, the winning pitcher on marathon day last year. “I can’t imagine running 26 miles. It’s a grueling process.”

He said he was near the finish line not far from Fenway Park when she crossed last year and plans to be there again.

Stacey Lucchino, who said she injured her knee while skiing about 15 years ago, plans to run part of the race.

Curt Schilling hopes to see his wife after the race “with a win tucked under my belt,” although he allowed five runs in 5 2-3 innings last Wednesday in his first start, a 5-2 loss to the New York Yankees. He started the season on the disabled list after his offseason conditioning was set back by ankle surgery in November.

The three wives expect a satisfying day even though they won’t win the race.

“Who could have dreamed” they would be running in the marathon, Shonda Schilling said. “We figure Mike will probably come in and close (the game) out” for Curt.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I also did a 5k race i came 2nd for Under 18's which was 9th overall i was very proud of myself seen as this was against nearly 1000 people