Official 2005 NFL Thread

Guest Morecello

Guest Morecello

I looked through the forum and didn't see one so I am starting it. Post anything dealing with the NFL in here. I'll be the first to contribute.

thanks to FOXSports for this report

Undrafted QB White lands with Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Jason White, who won the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma but was snubbed in the NFL draft, is being given a chance by the Kansas City Chiefs.

White and other undrafted rookies will join the drafted players in a minicamp this weekend. White, who has not signed a contract, will be given a chance to show what he can do.

After the draft last Sunday, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and general manager Carl Peterson appeared to disagree on White's potential. "Carl felt the kid deserved a chance to work in a rookie camp so we brought him in," Vermeil said Thursday.

White threw for 8,012 yards and 81 touchdowns at Oklahoma, winning the 2003 Heisman and taking the Sooners to consecutive national championship games in 2003 and '04.

However, many scouts felt his arm was not strong enough for the NFL. He also has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

But when he won the Heisman in 2003, he threw for 3,946 yards and 40 TDs. Last year he finished third in Heisman balloting.

"We're excited that Jason has an opportunity to pursue his goals and know that he'll make the most of this opportunity," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said in a statement.

"He has proven time and again that he can succeed at the highest level. He earned this shot at professional football and I like the fact that Carl Peterson, Dick Vermeil and the Chiefs recognize that too. In getting to know him so well and in watching him go about his business here, there is nobody that I have been associated with during my career that I respect more or am more proud of than Jason White."

When Vermeil was asked on Sunday why no one had drafted White, he said simply that the NFL "didn't evaluate him as talented enough to play at this level."

"He's been successful, but there have been a lot of college quarterbacks who have been successful and won Heisman Trophies and everything else who didn't play in the NFL," Vermeil said at the time. "He's no less a person. He's still an outstanding young man."

But Peterson made it clear that he admired White.

"I'm not sure he can't play in the National Football League," said the Chiefs' GM, who said he met White presenting him an award. "He's an extraordinary young man. You can't count him out. He's as tough-minded as anybody and he's had some great stats."

The Chiefs drafted Tulsa quarterback James Kilian on the second day of the draft.

From Espn.com

CLEVELAND -- Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. complained of chest pains after he was injured in a motorcycle accident, but the team said his injuries aren't life-threatening.

Winslow was riding in a community college parking lot Sunday when he hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from the motorcycle, Westlake police Lt. Ray Arcuri said.

Winslow was taken by ambulance to Fairview Hospital and was transferred to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday where the team's medical staff would treat him, Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said.

"He went over the handlebars and was real evasive about what the injuries were," Arcuri said.

The 21-year-old Winslow had minor visible injuries. He was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't strapped on and flew off his head, Arcuri said. He landed in a landscaped area at the edge of the parking lot, falling hard enough to tear out a small tree.

He and four other men were riding motorcycles in the parking lot, not far from Winslow's home in suburban Cleveland. There was no alcohol involved, Arcuri said.

"The four gentlemen said he was testing the bike out learning to ride," Arcuri said.

Winslow purchased the 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750 last month. He could face charges of reckless operation and operating without a valid driver's license because he didn't have a learner's permit, Arcuri said.

The first-round draft pick missed nearly all of his rookie year with the Browns after breaking his right leg against Dallas in Week 2 while attempting to recover an onside kick in the final seconds.

Winslow had five receptions for 50 yards in his first two pro games.

He has had two operations on the leg and said in March that he expected it to be fully healed for this season. Winslow signed a six-year, $40 million contract with the Browns, but lost a $5.3 million bonus because of the leg injury.

I looked through the forum and didn't see one so I am starting it. Post anything dealing with the NFL in here. I'll be the first to contribute.

thanks to FOXSports for this report

Undrafted QB White lands with Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Jason White, who won the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma but was snubbed in the NFL draft, is being given a chance by the Kansas City Chiefs.

White and other undrafted rookies will join the drafted players in a minicamp this weekend. White, who has not signed a contract, will be given a chance to show what he can do.

After the draft last Sunday, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and general manager Carl Peterson appeared to disagree on White's potential. "Carl felt the kid deserved a chance to work in a rookie camp so we brought him in," Vermeil said Thursday.

White threw for 8,012 yards and 81 touchdowns at Oklahoma, winning the 2003 Heisman and taking the Sooners to consecutive national championship games in 2003 and '04.

However, many scouts felt his arm was not strong enough for the NFL. He also has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

But when he won the Heisman in 2003, he threw for 3,946 yards and 40 TDs. Last year he finished third in Heisman balloting.

"We're excited that Jason has an opportunity to pursue his goals and know that he'll make the most of this opportunity," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said in a statement.

"He has proven time and again that he can succeed at the highest level. He earned this shot at professional football and I like the fact that Carl Peterson, Dick Vermeil and the Chiefs recognize that too. In getting to know him so well and in watching him go about his business here, there is nobody that I have been associated with during my career that I respect more or am more proud of than Jason White."

When Vermeil was asked on Sunday why no one had drafted White, he said simply that the NFL "didn't evaluate him as talented enough to play at this level."

"He's been successful, but there have been a lot of college quarterbacks who have been successful and won Heisman Trophies and everything else who didn't play in the NFL," Vermeil said at the time. "He's no less a person. He's still an outstanding young man."

But Peterson made it clear that he admired White.

"I'm not sure he can't play in the National Football League," said the Chiefs' GM, who said he met White presenting him an award. "He's an extraordinary young man. You can't count him out. He's as tough-minded as anybody and he's had some great stats."

The Chiefs drafted Tulsa quarterback James Kilian on the second day of the draft.

Personally I don't think he should be there either. He showed in the National Championship Game that he can't handle pressue. At least he's not like Maurice Clarett. That bastard. I hate him.

Edited by Jester of Death

Guest Morecello

A-TRAIN SIGNS WITH COWBOYS!

Cowboys Agree To Terms With RB Anthony Thomas

By Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

May 2, 2005, 5:42 PM (CDT)

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys beefed up their running back position even more on Monday, signing former Bears veteran Anthony Thomas to a one-year deal.

While the terms of the deal were not disclosed, Thomas won't be placed on the Cowboys' official roster until Tuesday, when the transaction will go through the league office. To make room on their roster, the Cowboys have to release another player and could make a few more roster moves as well.

But the addition of Thomas gives the Cowboys more size and depth at running back, a position head coach Bill Parcells said he wanted to address in the off-season.

Parcells made it clear he wanted to give Julius Jones some help after the rookie tied an NFL-record with Earl Campbell as the only backs in league history to have at least 30 carries in three straight games.

While the Cowboys did draft Marion Barber in the fourth round last weekend, Thomas gives the team more of a short-yardage threat with his 6-2, 225-pound frame.

"Anthony will provide an excellent compliment to the other backs we have on the roster," said Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones. "He gives us depth and experience and makes. His addition will make us take a long hard look at carrying four backs on the roster in the fall."

Thomas, also known as the "A-Train," was an unrestricted free agent and deemed expendable by the Bears, who just drafted Texas running back Cedric Benson and signed Thomas Jones to a four-year deal before last season.

Thomas, rushed for just 404 yards on 122 carries (3.3 average) with only two touchdowns. Thomas backed up Jones for most of the season, but did start games, including an 110-yard, two-touchdown performance against the Giants.

Against Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, Thomas carried the ball only three times for no yards, and caught two passes for 20 yards.

The former Michigan standout had his best season as a rookie, earning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2001, rushing for 1,183 yards and seven touchdowns for the Bears. He followed that season up by rushing for 721 yards in 2002 and then 1,024 more in 2003.

The Cowboys made a similar move last summer just before training camp when they signed veteran Eddie George to a one-year deal. With Jones missing half the season with a shoulder injury, George was forced into the lineup but struggled, rushing for just 432 yards and averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

George was not re-signed in the off-season and has yet to join another team for what would be his 10th pro season.

The addition of Thomas might signal another roster move to the running back position here in the near future.

Although the club already released fullback/running back Richie Anderson last week, there still appears to be too many backs in the picture.

While Jones is the projected starter, having rushed for 819 yards in only eight games as a rookie, Barber's spot should be rather safe as well, being a fourth-round pick.

And since Barber has also returned kickoffs, it could squeeze out ReShard Lee, who led the team with 41 kickoff returns last season. Lee, who only carried the ball 27 times last year (128 yards), struggled at times with mental errors, Parcells twice saying Lee was a liability without the ball in his hands.

Other backs in the mix include Irving, Texas native Tyson Thompson, an undrafted free agent from San Jose State. In just three days of rookie mini-camp, Parcells already commented on Thompson's speed and ability.

And don't forget about Erik Bickerstaff, who missed all of last season with a torn Achilles suffered in the summer. Bickerstaff has spent the last 10 months rehabbing the injury and is expected to return to action by the start of training camp. Through his rehab, Bickerstaff appears to weigh considerably less than his listed 230 pounds on last year's final roster. Still, although he's trying to return from one of the toughest injuries in sports, Bickerstaff could also provide some power with inside runs. In 2003, Bickerstaff had 56 yards on just 19 carries.

Guest Ty1er

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but how's signing A-Train being lucky? And how was Eddie George a great pick up for them? Eddie George (I'm a loyal Titans fan and I still do like Eddie George) seemingly just went to shit a couple years before he was even in Dallas and the same could be said for A-Train, as he's one of the most inconsistent backs in the league.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill, but how's signing A-Train being lucky? And how was Eddie George a great pick up for them? Eddie George (I'm a loyal Titans fan and I still do like Eddie George) seemingly just went to shit a couple years before he was even in Dallas and the same could be said for A-Train, as he's one of the most inconsistent backs in the league.

Because A-Train's a young back who's shown the potential to be a starting back. In a Bill Parcells system in which he had Curtis Martin, I thiink it could benefit both parties. Because, frankly, behind Julius Jones, there's nothing. Like you said, George isn't that great of a back anymore and they need a back in case Jones gets hurt like he did last year. Insurance policy more than anything.

It's all a matter of potential. Sure he might suck, but there's the chance he could be one hell of a back for the team.

And I was watching PTI today and they were talking about how Winslow will lose money in his contract for being injured. Something about a specific clause prohibiting motorcycle use.

Edited by oldskool

Almost every professional sports contract has a clause in them prohibiting motorcycle use, pick-up basketball, etc...

And almost everytime you hear of off-season injuries, it's not training, its doing an activity that is prohibited through your contract.

Example: Aaron Boone, the offseason after hitting his walk-off homer against the BoSox in the 2003 Playoffs, he was playing pick-up basketball and broke his leg which gave the Yankees the right to void his contract.

I feel bad that Winslow fell off his bike but he isn't supposed to do it.

Guest Bluesman

Rarely do situations like these provide the answers to the questions they ask. How in the hell do you hit a curb on the motorcycle? What was Winslow doing in a community college parking lot?

Guest Morecello

So basicly if you sign a professional contract then your not supposed to do anything during the off season that might be considered fun in any way shape or form that could cause physical harm to your body?

What a crock of shit.

www.clevelendbrowns.com

Team statement on Kellen Winslow

May 4, 2005

Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow remains at The Cleveland Clinic following a motorcycle accident on Sunday, May 1. A timetable for his release from The Cleveland Clinic has not been determined.

Kellen's internal injuries remain stable and are improving. The concern remains with his right knee, which will continue to be re-evaluated.

Over the last several days, Kellen has been visited by team President John Collins, Senior Vice President and General Manager Phil Savage, Head Coach Romeo Crennel, some of his teammates, and other Browns personnel. Kellen is in good spirits and asks that people respect his right to privacy regarding his medical condition.

The Browns focus and concern remain with Kellen's health and well being and the club will not comment on any aspects of his contract.

Guest Bluesman

So basicly if you sign a professional contract then your not supposed to do anything during the off season that might be considered fun in any way shape or form that could cause physical harm to your body?

What a crock of shit.

They don't get millions of dollars. If you engage in these dangerous activities and get injured the team has the right to be compensated by the PLAYER. The figure that I've heard is that Winslow will lose $5 mil of his contract if he can't play this year because of this injury.

What a crock of shit.

Horrible, isn't it? Hopefully those millions of dollars will help console them...

Let me get this out of this way, I hope Winslow's career isn't over. I hope he can return and have a full, healthy career. I'm genuinely glad that he didn't hurt himself worse than he did, even though I can't stand him.

With that out of the way, I still look back at last years draft and laugh at how the Lions swindled the Browns out of a second round pick. They ended up with a guy who missed all of last year, and potentially all of this season. The Lions end up with Roy Williams, a guy I think has a legit shot at being a top five WR for many years to come. On top of that, the second round pick they traded us translated into Kevin Jones (we traded a second rounder to move up and nab Kevin Jones). I'm quite grateful that Cleveland was willing to give all that up for Winslow.

Guest Bluesman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read that Detroit had absolutely no interest in Winslow, yet somehow managed to convince Cleveland to trade up. Does that sound similar to what you found coming out of the Detroit media?

They showed recent Browns first round picks on Sportscenter, and wow, it's pretty easy to see why they have sucked so much.

Edited by Bluesman