World Hockey Championships

I may be the only one, but I was anxiously awaiting the tourney so I could finally get some real hockey fix.

Unfortunately, it's been mostly disappointing, with some fucking atrocious games, excitement-wise, and a poor showing from practically every team, including Canada.

Mostly, I put Canada's problems with the fact that 2/3 of the team haven't skated/played pro in almost a year. Only 8 of the 25 players have actually played pro at some level this year. Lots of rust.

But today, the actual medal rounds started. Canada took out Slovakia in a fucking amazing game, pure excitement from the opening whistle to the end of the game. Also, the Czech Republic just took out the US 3-2, even with Rick DiPietro's absolutely brilliant performance in net for the States. Another great game, lots and lots of chances.

So is anyone else watching, and if so, who are your favourites and who do you think will win?

I'm watching as i always do.

The good games only start when they matter the most. It has always been like that. I'm not surprised.

My favourites have been the Czech Republic almost ever since i watch hockey. I used to like Russia too but their gameplay has disappointed me in the last 5 years or so. They're losing to Finland 3-2 now. Sweden is 1-1 with Switzerland.

Considering Sweden will eventually win the game, i think anyone that's left can still win.

The Canada/Slovakia game was awesome! Nice to see Heatley get a goal finally. He's had a sub par outing in so far. But man, the game today was amazing and for a while my heart was in my throat. Slovakia had a very talented squad with Marian Hossa, Michael Handzus, Marian Gaborik, Pavol Demitra, Ziggy Palffy, and Zdeno Chara to name a few, but the Canadians are just constant workhorses. Don't get me wrong, Slovakia played a terrific game and pushed the Canucks to the limit, but even with the rust and being down in third, I think the Canadians seemed like they were just a step above them for the majority of the game. Interesting game winning goal, Thornton's shot seemed harmless, but sure enough it fooled Lasak and went top shelf. Also, I thought it was funny when Chara took the face offs against Draper. The size difference... it was like David vs. Goliath. All in all, just an excellant game, just amazing.

And Canada's dangerous first line of offense continues with their dominant ways... Gagne scores twice, Thornton nets the winner, Nash gets three helpers. That line is phenomenal. It was nice to see Gagne be the star of the line for once. They have all been terrific together, but for the most part it seemed like Nash and Thornton were the standouts and Gagne was the supporting player. I'm glad that Gagne finally showed that he is just as able to contribute as Joe and Rick. But clearly Rick Nash has tourney MVP written all over him.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm following, but am only able to watch the weekend games due to school. I'm an avid fan of the World Championships (ANY national hockey is awesome), and this years are fun to follow. I would MUCH rather Canada go with the Spengler Cup team (minus the couple AHLers they had), but what can you do?

Nash won't win the MVP for the simple reason of his abuse of the officials. That was some inexcusable bullshit he pulled, and he needs to be reprimanded in SOME way for it - not allowing him the tourney MVP that everyone thinks he has coming to him would be a good way to do it.

This is, of course, assuming Canada makes it to the finals.

Today was some great hockey displayed by three and a half of the four teams. Canada dominated Russia in the early goings, going up 4-0 early in the second. At the end of the second it was 4-2, but Canada prevailed with a 4-3 victory (minus a disallowed goal that should have counted but was offside) dispite being outshot 42-25. Brodeur played amazing.

The Czech Republic then beat Sweden 3-2 in a great overtime game with an ending similar to the Canada/Sweden final from a couple years ago. Czech scored but the puck bounced out of the net quickly to end the game.

I'm predicting a Canadian win, but Czech's will likely outshoot them big.

Guest Grapehead

Today was some great hockey displayed by three and a half of the four teams.  Canada dominated Russia in the early goings, going up 4-0 early in the second.  At the end of the second it was 4-2, but Canada prevailed with a 4-3 victory (minus a disallowed goal that should have counted but was offside) dispite being outshot 42-25.  Brodeur played amazing.

Today was some great hockey displayed by three and a half of the four teams.  Canada dominated Russia in the early goings, going up 4-0 early in the second.  At the end of the second it was 4-2, but Canada prevailed with a 4-3 victory (minus a disallowed goal that should have counted but was offside) dispite being outshot 42-25.  Brodeur played amazing.

I wasn't watching much of the opening of the game, but 4-0 doesn't mean dominance, it could be sloppy play from both sides, and considering how badly the Russians took control after the first period, I'd say Canada had another sub-par game. Canada will settle for the silver if they give up the last two periods like they did to the Russians. I wish I could watch the gold medal game but I believe I work when it's going, but we'll see.