Jay-Z/Talib Kweli

fineintent

This is something I've been meaning to ask since I first heard the Black Album, and the lyric reminded me of something from Talib Kweli's Beautiful Struggle. I'm hoping someone, like Jimmy the Exploder, with be able to explain this.

Jay-Z says "If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be, lyrically, Talib Kweli. Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common sense (but I sold 5mil) I ain't been rhyming like Common sense.

And Talib Kweli "If lyrics sold, truth be told, I'd probably be as rich and famous as Jay Z. Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common sense, next best thing do a record with Common sense."

Now I've totally missed the story, if there is one, behind this - can someone it explain it to me? Is it just playful between the two, or is there any seriousness?

I think it was Jay-Z saying he'd dumbed down (simplified his lyrics) for his audience/mainstream to sell more records, saying if lyrics alone sold, he'd be more like Kweli. Same with Kweli saying if lyrics sold he'd be rich.

At least that's what I took it as when I first heard it.

There's a parody song type of thing floating around called "I'm A Biter, Not A Writer", but yeah, Jimmy's right - Jigga came up with the line and Kweli flipped it.

Guest N9Ne

*cough*50Cent*cough

I don't know how ya'll can say you don't like Jay-Z just because he bites biggies lyrics, everyone takes eachothers lyrics, but Ja-Z does it more than most...if you ever listened to any of his old, underground shit you would know why people consider him the best alive

but meh...those are just my 2 Cents