Need help for a Book Project

y2jerichoholic

From what I can remember this woman cheats on her spouse and is branded with the Scarlet Letter (an "A" if memory does serve) which serves as a means of identifying her as an adulterer, and adulterer's weren't treated too well in that time period.

Forgive me for any inaccuracies, I haven't read it in a while.

The main female character has committed adultery and is now out of jail, but is forced to wear a Scarlet "A" on her chest to let everyone know of her crime. She had an affair with the towns minister and it is now eating away at him and he begins to go crazy. Her husband comes to town in disguise and is supposed to help the minister, but doesnt but the reason why slips my mind.

Chillingworth doesn't help Dimmsedale, the reverend, because you know.......he slept with Hester. That's kinda important, Greg :P

So yeah, Dimmesdale basically suffers the internal conflict, which ultimately causes his death. Chillingworth, having lived only to exact revenge on Dimmesdale, has no purpose for living either, and perishes. Hester returns to her cabin in the woods, and Pearl is bequeathed a lot of money by Chillingworth.