Superstar Mode Revealed!

Cole

This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for in a Madden (or other football) game for a long time.

However, I'm pretty sure they'll botch it. You may think that I'm just being negative, but I'll explain myself.

My major problem with it will be (especially if NCAA 06's heisman mode is any indication) that when playing as a superstar, you'll be given too much control when on the field.

Too much control? How can there be such a thing? Simple. If I'm playing as one solitaire player, I want to control only that player. I don't want to have to pick plays, do kickoffs, punts, play the opposite side of the ball, or control the qb (and/or rb) if I'm not playing that position. I shouldn't have control over the depth chart, or anything else besides my player. While I know some people like to have this control, it would be nice to have the option to turn it off. Also, if I'm a WR, I want to be able to run my own routes...or rather run the routes by my own control. I hate the fact that in NCAA 06 you can't control the receiver until after the ball is in the air (unless you use two controllers).

It completely undermines the whole idea. I mean, anyone can put up good stats as a receiver if the QB throws the ball to them on every single play (because the qb is under the player's control) RBs can rack up the yards if they are allowed to call the play and pick run every single time. etc.

So far, two games with promising career modes fell short of my expectations because they only offered the same control that you got playing the game on exhibition or season mode (once in the game, I mean)

(ncaa 06 and mlb 2006 *I think*)

Personally, I like all the control. If you control just one player, it gets boring. EX: If your a WR, all you do is run pass routes for four quaters, and occasionly throw a block. If you control the whole team, you can do more. You can run, pass, play D, special teams, etc. It's not a franchise where you have to worry about money, morale, and stuff like that. It's just your team, with no incentives. It's not like Season, due to what I just said. It's the first time, so give it time. When the Madden games first came out, they were piss poor. Give it time, it'll improve. With Madden, it'll be more in-depth because of contracts, tv deals, etc. So give it time.

Now you would think that there is too much power given to the player, but the thing is, if a WR is making big catches, a QB is making good passes, or a RB is racking up the yards, the computer will wise up and adjust there plays to stop the WR, QB, or RB.

And on the WR thing, its better to run the designed route instead of running around the field aimlessly because a Saftey or a Linebacker could be playing zone.

Well, I would imagine the point of a career mode would be to be able to play the game from the perspective of an NFL star. NFL stars don't get to choose whether the QB throws to them on every play, or call run everytime, or get to control what happens on the opposite side of the ball. The lack of control is part of the experience of playing in a team sport.

Sure it's frustrating for a QB when the receivers drop perfect passes. It's frustrating for the RB when too many pass plays are called or their fullback misses and important block, but that's football.

Maybe I'm too into football, but I think that the dynamics of having to get open, make the catch, keep your feet in bounds, make the blocks, etc. would be enough to keep me entertained and make every play feel like something new. Hell, I've even thought it would be interesting in real life to play as an offensive lineman. Of course that might not translate too well into a video game, but I'd try it.

The other thing I'd like to see from a career mode is realistic reactions to your play (whether or not you control your player alone) by the coach/general manager. That's not been done in either of the other two games with career modes I've played. In NCAA 2005, you will continue to start no matter how badly you play, and you can completely and totally blow every play with absolutely no consequences if you wanted. In the MLB game...MLB 2006? You were mostly treated based on your ratings. You started with low ratings, so you weren't playing in the majors for long no matter how good you played. In the real world, if you were called into the majors and spent half a season with a batting average of over .500, lead the league in homeruns, rbis, on base percentage, runs, and stolen bases, they would not send you back the the minors, but they do that in MLB 2006.

In Madden I would like to see bonuses offered to good players, a chance to earn the starting job in the preseason, and/or training camp (depending on the play of the starter), and most importantly, in my opinion, a chance to actually lose the starting job or be released based upon your play. Yeah, it may make the game frustrating, but it would add to the challenge a little too.

I just think that if you want to play as the entire team, you can play franchise mode. Any management aspect you don't like can be done by the computer entirely, so you can simply play every game if you want, using the entire team as you want to.

Give me realism in my career mode, not more of the same thing dressed up as a brand new mode.

I would like to be signed as say....a second string qb, then have all games simulated until a point where the starter gets injured, at which point (mid-game) I would be taken to the game to take over. Perform well enough while the starter is out, and take over the starting job.

The ability could be added to simulate parts of the game you're not involved in, such as the opposite side of the ball, and anytime where you're on the bench, if you so desired.

That's the game I've been dreaming about, and the one that's at best a few years from being created, but most likely will never be created.

I can dream though.

If the only one of my ideas that was implemented in this Madden was the coach/gm reaction to your performance, I would become incredibly excited about the game, but we'll see.

Of course I want to be in the NFL! I don't have the talent though.

Maybe I should be out practicing instead of playing games! nah.

I guess I just think the focus of a "superstar mode" should be playing as...*gasp* a superstar. Not playing as an entire team. That's every single other mode.

Well, I would imagine the point of a career mode would be to be able to play the game from the perspective of an NFL star.  NFL stars don't get to choose whether the QB throws to them on every play, or call run everytime, or get to control what happens on the opposite side of the ball.  The lack of control is part of the experience of playing in a team sport. 

Sure it's frustrating for a QB when the receivers drop perfect passes.  It's frustrating for the RB when too many pass plays are called or their fullback misses and important block, but that's football.

Maybe I'm too into football, but I think that the dynamics of having to get open, make the catch, keep your feet in bounds, make the blocks, etc. would be enough to keep me entertained and make every play feel like something new.  Hell, I've even thought it would be interesting in real life to play as an offensive lineman.  Of course that might not translate too well into a video game, but I'd try it.

The other thing I'd like to see from a career mode is realistic reactions to your play (whether or not you control your player alone) by the coach/general manager.  That's not been done in either of the other two games with career modes I've played.  In NCAA 2005, you will continue to start no matter how badly you play, and you can completely and totally blow every play with absolutely no consequences if you wanted.  In the MLB game...MLB 2006?  You were mostly treated based on your ratings.  You started with low ratings, so you weren't playing in the majors for long no matter how good you played.  In the real world, if you were called into the majors and spent half a season with a batting average of over .500, lead the league in homeruns, rbis, on base percentage, runs, and stolen bases, they would not send you back the the minors, but they do that in MLB 2006. 

In Madden I would like to see bonuses offered to good players, a chance to earn the starting job in the preseason, and/or training camp (depending on the play of the starter), and most importantly, in my opinion, a chance to actually lose the starting job or be released based upon your play.  Yeah, it may make the game frustrating, but it would add to the challenge a little too.

I just think that if you want to play as the entire team, you can play franchise mode.  Any management aspect you don't like can be done by the computer entirely, so you can simply play every game if you want, using the entire team as you want to.

Give me realism in my career mode, not more of the same thing dressed up as a brand new mode.

I would like to be signed as say....a second string qb, then have all games simulated until a point where the starter gets injured, at which point (mid-game) I would be taken to the game to take over.  Perform well enough while the starter is out, and take over the starting job.

The ability could be added to simulate parts of the game you're not involved in, such as the opposite side of the ball, and anytime where you're on the bench, if you so desired.

That's the game I've been dreaming about, and the one that's at best a few years from being created, but most likely will never be created.

I can dream though.

If the only one of my ideas that was implemented in this Madden was the coach/gm reaction to your performance, I would become incredibly excited about the game, but we'll see.