18 members have voted

1. 1. Will he win yet again?

• Yes
    • No

Stage 1

Armstrong overwhelms rivals in opening stage of his last Tour de France

By JOHN LEICESTER, Associated Press Writer

July 2, 2005

Armstrong took a huge step toward winning his seventh consecutive Tour on the very first day of the three-week race. He crushed his main rivals in an opening time trial Saturday, opening up early time gaps that may be big enough to carry him through to victory at the finish in Paris on July 24.

``I was hungry today,'' said Armstrong, who is 33 and has said he will retire after this year's Tour. ``I didn't come to ride a retirement race. I came to win.''

A bad crash, an uncharacteristic drop in his devastating form and the sheer unpredictability of a race that covers 2,242 miles, the Alps and the Pyrenees still could conspire against Armstrong, whose six titles are already the Tour record.

But this much is clear: Armstrong's challengers will need the race of their lives to catch him and -- if previous years are any guide -- that still may not be enough.

The only blot on an otherwise perfect Saturday for Armstrong? He was beaten by a fellow American and former teammate, David Zabriskie, by 2 seconds over the 11.8-mile course past oyster vendors and marshes from Fromentine to the island of Noirmoutier-en-l'Ile on western France's Atlantic coast.

But Zabriskie, for all his promise, is not considered a contender for the overall title at the still tender age for a cyclist of 26.

ADVERTISEMENT

Armstrong, racing a special aerodynamic bike, helmet and suit, set out last of the 189 riders and had a minor mishap at the outset when one of his feet popped out of a pedal. But he quickly clipped it back and then pedaled relentlessly.

He dealt a severe psychological and racing blow to his main rival, Jan Ullrich, by overtaking him along the way -- even though the German had set out 1 minute earlier.

``The feeling of being passed by Lance is not good,'' Ullrich said later. He tried to put a brave face on the defeat, saying: ``The Tour is still three weeks long. I'll battle.''

The closest of Armstrong's main rivals was Alexandre Vinokourov, Ullrich's teammate from Kazakhstan. He placed third but was still 51 seconds slower than the Texan.

Ullrich placed 12th, a whopping 1 minute and 6 seconds slower than Armstrong. That already is larger than Armstrong's winning margin over Ullrich in 2003, when he won by 61 seconds -- by far the narrowest of his victories.

Armstrong and Ullrich's team both said the German, who has finished runner-up four times since his only win in 1997, may have been affected by a training crash on Friday. Ullrich cut his neck after slamming into the back of a car.

``That takes a lot out of you and I can't say I won the Tour de France just because of that,'' Armstrong said, suggesting that he still regards Ullrich as a challenger.

But Armstrong also savored the satisfaction of overtaking the German.

Photo

AP - Jul 2, 4:10 pm EDT

More Photos

``I saw Jan in front of me at the first time check and I thought: 'It's going well today.' I had him in my sights. Then I did my maximum,'' he said. ``You can't lie. That's a good feeling in the sense that you know you're having a good day.''

Armstrong's team coach, Johan Bruyneel, was jubilant, calling the ride ``incredible.'' Armstrong's rock star girlfriend, singer Sheryl Crow, snapped photos for the scrapbook.

Italian Ivan Basso, another favorite, finished 1:24 slower than Armstrong in 20th place. Spanish racers Roberto Heras and Iban Mayo will need astounding rides in the mountains where they are strongest to have a hope of making up time on Armstrong. Heras went 2:18 slower than Armstrong; Mayo was 3:13 back in 175th place.

Zabriskie's ride earned him the overall leader's yellow jersey and was the fastest in a time trial in the Tour's 102-year history -- a remarkable feat for his first-ever day in the race.

``This feels really great,'' said Zabriskie, who considered quitting cycling after a bad crash last year. ``I never thought this would happen. Never, ever, ever.''

Zabriskie still has screws in one knee from another crash in 2003 when he broke his leg and wrist after being hit by an SUV in his hometown of Salt Lake City.

Zabriskie covered Saturday's course in 20 minutes, 51 seconds, riding at an average of 33.98 mph.

That beat the time-trial record held since 1989 by another American, Greg Lemond, who raced at an average speed of 33.89 mph over a course that was 3.4 miles longer in winning the second of his three Tour crowns.

Zabriskie rode for Armstrong's camp from 2001-2004 and now races for Team CSC. He won another time trial at the Giro d'Italia in May.

``We just witnessed the birth of a real champion for the time trial event,'' said his teammate and fellow American, Bobby Julich, who placed 11th on Saturday. ``He just creamed everybody.''

AP Sports Writer Jerome Pugmire contributed to this report.

I had a feeling previous to watching live that he wouldn't do it again, although I am rooting for him. I watched the entire race last year and was impressed, but with the start and the mind set he takes going into this tour, I think he wants to win this by a big margin.

The prologue means nothing. With 20 stages to go a time-trial that is a third of the distance of the other two doesn't mean much. The tour is long, the rider's peaks of form are different and all those who prepared their season to have a peak at the tour, may still have it in different occasions anyway. A couple of years ago Ullrich beat Armstrong by 2 minutes in the first time trial (not the prologue) and then lost the second to him when was a minute and a half behind. The tour won't be decided by the time-trials anyway, so yeah... :P

Stage 2 was a solid ride for all. Lance stayed 2 ticks behind Zabriskie. Voeckler (sp?) wanted to get a jersey for today so he made his move on the only part of the stage that got him points for the King of the Mountains jersey. Voeckler had the yellow for 10 days last year, and he earned every day of it.

Stage 5 or 6 looks like there may be rain in the forcast, and the day before it is supposed to hit will be a day that Lance will be looking for as it is the Team Time Trial. Team CSC could contend on that day, no one is looking to make a big move on that day, but in the spirit of the Tour the team aspect will shine. All stage winners share the money with the team anyway, which is something I really like about the sport and its riders.

The prologue means nothing. With 20 stages to go a time-trial that is a third of the distance of the other two doesn't mean much. The tour is long, the rider's peaks of form are different and all those who prepared their season to have a peak at the tour, may still have it in different occasions anyway. A couple of years ago Ullrich beat Armstrong by 2 minutes in the first time trial (not the prologue) and then lost the second to him when was a minute and a half behind.  The tour won't be decided by the time-trials anyway, so yeah... :P

Boonen is frikin' good this tour. I thought he would not win anything since he's more of a classic rider but McEwen, Kirsipuu, Pagliarini, O'Grady and all the others got nothing on him.

I think Armstrong will win it once again, altough Basso, Menchov, Vinokourov and maybe even Landis or Leipheimer will be able to pull an upset victory!

Stage 4:

That was a great Team Time Trial. Armstrong and DZ would have been tied right now, but DZ fell at the 1.5km mark and lost over a minute. Armstrong said this would be decided in the last 15km, and he was without a doubt correct. It'll be intresting if he tries to defend the Yellow or will let someone take it and try to win it back through the mountains.

I preface by saying I know nothing about cycling. That being said, in the past, I've noticed that Lance has usually laid back in the field and then took over in the mountain stages. With Lance already having the lead this early, can only mean good things for Lance, as he attempts to take the Tour to "Heaven in Seven" (TM: Muhammad Ali)

I preface by saying I know nothing about cycling.  That being said, in the past, I've noticed that Lance has usually laid back in the field and then took over in the mountain stages.  With Lance already having the lead this early, can only mean good things for Lance, as he attempts to take the Tour to "Heaven in Seven" (TM: Muhammad Ali)

Stage 5:

Good sprint stage with Robbie McEwen capturing the win over Bonnen. McEwen is the Austrailian champ and already had his 3rd place finish this year taken away for a headbutt.

Lance and the top contenders finished well in the Peloton and it may be tomorrow that Lance gives up the yellow until the moutains.

Intresting note is that Lance did not want to wear the yellow since he did not earn it himself, yet with DZ falling. Race Officials told him he had to wear it or risk disqualification from the tour if he didn't wear yellow, needless to say he wore it, but over the top of his discovery jersey.

Stage6:

I was really pulling for the frenchman that was leading the entire time to try and pull off a win on the peloton because he led so long and was going to have a good shot because of the turns and the wet road, but that was his doom as he wrecked and caused the closely followed Peloton to crash too.

Lance and all of the big guns made it safely, all of the riders are un-injured seriously. Vinikouov (sp?) made a smart move and attacked, and barely missed the crash and finished second, at one point they gave him a +2sec on Lance, but I think because of the crash they have given everyone the same time in the peloton, but I'm not 100% on that.

Stage 7 is the last stage before the mountains I think.

Lance would have tried to give the yellow jersey away for the time being, but in fact the other teams are helping him keep it. 5 teams have sprinters they are moving in position for these road wins, and everyone pretty much has to stay together.

Lance and all of the big guns made it safely, all of the riders are un-injured seriously. Vinikouov (sp?) made a smart move and attacked, and barely missed the crash and finished second, at one point they gave him a +2sec on Lance, but I think because of the crash they have given everyone the same time in the peloton, but I'm not 100% on that.

Stage 7 is the last stage before the mountains I think.

Stage 7:

Good stage with McEwen getting his 2nd win of the tour. The rain made for intresting preperation.

Bonnen - 2

McEwen -2

With Thor currently 2nd in the Green Jersey race and getting good points today in the 8th as he took a couple sprints and Bonnon is 3 minutes behind the Peloton.

Recap of the last two stages:

Yesterday's stage was the first to define who wasn't going to challenge for the highest places at all while keeping all the favourites with the same time. In the end it threw all but 30 something away. No surprises there. It's all going as i predicted so far. Armstrong will have a HARD time trying to win it again and i was right in feeling suspicious the fact that they brought Savoldelli and Popovych to the tour. Armstrong will really need all the help he can get, because noone in Discovery seems to be in good form. Both Azevedo (which is the number 2 in # and in reality too) and Popovych came in the second group, and savoldelli only managed to get in the third group (obviously with a form peek on the Giro he couldn't achieve another one so soon) and noone else managed to get in the favourites group. Hincapie is the one overachieving in that team, but as soon as the highclimbs start he will disappear completely. Popovych and Azevedo (while not in great form) will be the ones in which Armstrong can rely the most with Rubiera being helpful in the beggining of the climbs. The team will miss Floyd Llandis who is in good form this year.

Today's stage was as expected a stage for mountain riders who don't have a shot at the general classification to escape and try getting the win. In the end Rasmussen did it, with Voigt and Moreau winning precious time as well. I was surprised to see Voigt there, but not surprised at all to see the other 2.

Everyone that matters arrived at 6:04

Voigt won precious time and got the yellow jersey but he won't keep it for long. The time he has gained to the other "good-place" candidates though, will keep him on the top places for a while. Rasmussen will possibly be trying to get a top-10 spot although if he chokes in one important stage he will probably start riding more in contention in hopes of winning another mountain stage later on. He already did the double in the Vuelta, why not here?

Moreau will be the french hope once more and will try really hard. Expect him to be leading the group where he's at in the mountain climbs trying to lose the least time possible, only to fail miserably. He is also a candidate to the top 10 but with so many candidates this year (the most talent loaded tour of the past 5 years) it will be hard to achieve.

Vinokourov is one of the favourites to win the tour but he has one problem that others don't have. He is inconsistent in GT's due to the fact that he is mold for week-long classics. His strength in accelerations both in flat and mountain stages may prove important to win a few seconds or a minute in some stages but my bet is he will have a hard time in one of the mountain stages and it won't matter how much (little) time he wins in the rest of them. Still an obvious choice for top 10 and good possibility for top 5 though.

Julich is having a good race but will drop out of the top 10 when the High Climbs start. Will probably gain back some time in both TT's but not enough to get in there again.

Basso and Ullrich are another 2 candidates and very similar in a way that neither tries anything else than going with the best placed candidate in every stage whoever he is. This is a good strategy to reach a top 5 place, and they are the only 2 who may make it work. However, to win the race with this strategy they need one of the candidates to have troubles in a couple stages. Last year Armstrong had a hard time in One. Basso came close. Ullrich has a better chance because he'll gain time in the TT over pretty much everyone in contention depending on the form he is. Ullrich failed last year because he choked in a stage losing much time and ending up behind his teammate Kloden.

Sastre is an eternal top 10 fighter. He will always be between 6th and 14th trying to keep in the top 10. This year will be harder, but i expect him to never arrive after the second group of riders in the mountain stages.

Kloden is another candidate but not in the same vein as Ullrich or Vinokourov. He's complete enough to not lose time in any kind of stages but he needs to be on top form like last season to contend for something.

Botero is a great rider and possibly the most inconsistent of them all. He's able to win stages both in Time Trials and in Mountain Stages but he's also able to choke with ease. He has had a couple great Tours but last two years were a disappointment. He's still getting into the favourites group so at least he knows he's probably part of the 50 that won't lose half an hour every stage when the tough stages begin.

Leipheimer has had a top 10 placing before and may aswell try for another, but i doubt he'll be able to do. he is currently in the same situation as Botero though.

Karpets was very good last year earning the young riders jersey is something he can still achieve (for the last time this year) and he's good enough to challenge for top 10 as well.

Azevedo ended in the 5th place in the Tour last year after reaching 6th a couple years back. He doesn't seem to be to strong this year but i can't see him do any worse then 20th (even in a bad tour).

Popovych is more of a Giro rider in which he usually does well. He's a complete rider, but i don't expect him to be challenging for anything on the tour right away. Maybe in a couple years.

The Liberty Seguros pairing. Who knows how they'll do? Heras was arguably the best climber of the past years but has troubles on TTs, and Beloki is a complete rider who has finished 3rd in the Tour and dropped out through a fall in a year he was seriously challenging Armstrong for it. He hasn't done anything remarkable since, but at least he's still on the 50 guys list.

Mancebo has lost 5 minutes already but that doesn't mean shit. He's always one of the main contenders for the top 10 in any GT he's on, and he has even managed to do so in all 3 in the same year. I'm expecting to see Mancebo in the top 10 right after the first set of mountain stages.

Valverde is another great rider although more suited to the Vuelta. He can climb as well as the majority and has a great acceleration that may allow him to get a lot of bonus seconds. He's like a poor man's Vinokourov but a lot less inconsistent.

And then there are some italian climbers like Garzelli or Piepoli, Spanish like Sevilla and Pereiro, and the whole Euskadi team that will raise upon the general classification during the mountain stages only to lose some minutes again in the Time Trials.

So here it is. I haven't posted anything like this before because i honestly didn't care about anything that happened until yesterday's stage.

The tour is really beggining tomorrow for me and i'm looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...