The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Ya so let's discuss all the off-season news in the hockey world here today.

It just happened that I was watching The Score and there is a report that Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk have signed with Florida. Yes Florida. Which is a huge blow to my Toronto Maple Leafs. :crying:

I thought for sure that the addition of Jeff O'Neill to Toronto would at least want to make Roberts resign with Toronto.

In other news Brad Isbister was traded from Edmonton to Boston for a draft pick.

Edited by Super Clawson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a sweet deal for Columbus, they've got Foote for 3 years at 13.8 million, and a no trade clause.

He's definately going to play a big role on that team, they've got players to begin with so this could make them bigger fish in the NHL.

Chigago also inked Aucoin to a 4 year deal today worth 16 mil. Which in my mind is a little steep for him.

Edited by Orange Conditioner

Before the lockout I was just starting to really watch the Blue Jackets so needless to say I am happy to see that they got a conerstone for thier defense since the definatly got a couple of you scorers already. It will intresting to see where some of the other free agents end up.

Guest Afroduck

I can't beleivee how cheap the Flames got McCarty and Amonte 2 great pick ups but I am still pissed they didn't keep Gelinas.Oh well he will once again be awesome this time in Florida

Oilers acquire Pronger from Blues

Canadian Press

8/3/2005 1:44:35 AM

ST. LOUIS (CP) - Chris Pronger is an Oiler.

The St. Louis Blues have traded the veteran defenceman to Edmonton for defencemen Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka.

Pronger was the NHL's most valuable player and top defenceman in 2000.

Blues GM Larry Pleau tendered Pronger a contract qualifying offer of $7.22 million US last week and, with the salaries for Pronger, Keith Tkachuk and Doug Weight totalling $19.7 million, many observers felt the Blues couldn't keep all three high-priced players when the new collective bargaining agreement set a $39-million US cap per team.

Related Info

The other shoe fell when the Blues issued a statement on the trade shortly before 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Jason Allison is going to sign with the Maple Leafs but there is a rumor it may be for league minimum plus bonuses for games played. Also Eric Lindros is also heavily rumored to be going to Toronto.

So look at this center group:

Allison: 6'3 215lbs

Lindros: 6'4 240lbs

Sundin: 6'5 231lbs

Throw in Niky Antropov who may or may not accept his qualifying offer then the Leafs will have some massive size to put in front of the net.

In other non-important news ( :shifty: ) Scott Niedemeyer is going to sign somewhere today.

If has plenty to do with the offseason when the broadcasters are saying that the Flyers signing 3 quality defensemen may give them a chance to compete with Ottawa. (Y)

By the way Goncar has signed with Pittsburgh for 5 years/25 million. Fucking Crosby. :shifty:

Edited by Salami Hider #1

I'm loving the Flames right now. They got Amonte and McCarty, plus Iginla resigned with them.

Scotty Niedemeyer apparently has 15 team going for him! That's nuts!

As for the Leafs, Jason Allison is for sure a good pick up. Very underrated player. When he was on Boston he was being heralded as the next big thing in the NHL. Of course, his hype has greatly cooled down over the years, but man, he is still quality player. I'm loving him and O'Neill on the Leafs. Two low key, underrated, talented players. Lindros = Waste of cash and roster space.... My suggestion to the Leafs is use the money towards something else. EDIT: Yes, I'm aware Allison isn't actually on the team yet... but he will be.

I'm still mourning over the loss of Roberts. I think everyone in Toronto loved the shit out of Gary. He was the team's spirit, a core member of the Leafs. He will be deeply missed. I don't normally use smilies but.... :(

BTW, here is a list of all yesterday and today's (so far) deals, credit TSN.ca

Wednesday August 3rd

Calgary Flames - Signed restricted free agent forward Jerome Iginla.

Dallas Stars - Signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Martin Skoula.

Montreal Canadiens - Re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Alexei Kovalev.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Sergei Gonchar.

Vancouver Canucks - Re-signed unrestricted free agent forward Markus Naslund.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy