The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

Stevens was okay at best in my book. I just never really liked him. After seeing that top ten on sportscentre I dislkike him more even though that hit on Kariya was huge.

For the East as many have said already probably Philadelphia or Ottawa and for the West... yeah know idea right there.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maple Leafs sign Mariusz Czerkawski

TSN.ca Staff

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed unrestricted free agent forward Mariusz Czerkawski to a one year contract.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Czerkawski, 33, played 46 games for Djurgarden last season collecting 24 points with 20 penalty minutes, following a 49-point season with the New York Islanders in 2003-2004.

The native of Radomsko, Poland has played 710 career NHL games for Boston, Edmonton, Montreal and the New York Islanders collecting 425 points.  He has scored 20 or more goals on six occasions in the NHL.

In 42 career NHL playoff games he has 15 points.

Czerkawski was originally Boston's fifth choice, 106th overall in the 1991 Entry Draft.

Guest NYJetFan86

now with Stevens and Niedermayer gone I wonder who the captain of NJ is going to be since it cant be Brodeur and I wouldnt give it to Malakhov or Mogilny just because they are veterans. I'm thinking it might be given to Rafalski or possibly Elias when he is healthy

Reports: Messier expected to retire

Mark Messier

TSN.ca Staff with files

9/10/2005 2:49:16 PM

It looks like the 2005-06 NHL season will begin without the league's second-leading scorer of all time.

According to the New York Post, Mark Messier is done playing after 25 seasons in the NHL.

Other newspaper reports say that the future Hall of Famer will not be reporting for a training camp physical with the New York Rangers on Monday, and may take the opportunity to announce his retirement from hockey.

Messier, who turns 45 in January, has not officially informed the Rangers of his decision.

Related Info

* Curtain Call?

His NHL career with the Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers and Vancouver Canucks has been decorated with endless awards, trophies and international accolades.

Messier, who in 1994 captained the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup in 54 years, has played 1,756 NHL games, second by 11 games to Gordie Howe's 1,767. He ranks seventh on the all-time goals list, third with 1,193 assists and second behind long-time teammate Wayne Gretzky with 1,887 points.

Messier is a two-time Hart Trophy winner as the league's most valuable player, has appeared in 15 All-Star Games and was a member of six Stanley Cup-winning teams.  He is the only player to captain two different teams to championships.

Messier's most recent NHL appearance in April of 2004 may have been his last, as he left the ice at Madison Square Garden with applause and cheers from teammates, family, friends, fans and even the visiting Buffalo Sabres.

Looks like hope he would finish his career in Edmonton may be dashed.

Messier will be missed. He was a great influence, and an example for you players to follow. He could pass, shoot, skate and intimidate, the perfect package. He was never as flashy as Gretzky or Howe, but he is up there with them as the game's greats.

Messier is the biggest reason I got into hockey. It was back in 94 that he helped lead the Rangers to a Stanley Cup title and, as a result of the media coverage, letting me discover this sport. Then those stupid Mighty Ducks movies came out and stuff, and I got more into it.

But Mess definitely is one of my favorite athletes ever. I will miss him.

In a more suprising move, Trent Klatt retires.

Rumor circulating he retired in protest of the way Ted Saskin became the Executive Director of the NHLPA, or the more likely story that after being traded four times in the three years before the lockout, a year off in one city gave him a feeling of familiarity that he thinks will benefit his family.

Well three pre-season games today.

Edmonton wins 2-1 against Calgary in shootout when Ryan Smyth scores for the win (benefits of the contract already showing?).

Carolina wins 6-0 against Washington. Rookie Cam Ward made 24 saves. Hurricanes scored 4 goals on the powerplay. This game apparently showed the more scoring, zero tolerance on obstruction as Washington had 14 of the 18 minor penalties called.

Phoenix wins 3-2 against Minnesota. Wayne Gretzky didn't coach instead opted to watch the first two pre-season games from the sky box suite. 22 penalties were called so once again really showing the zero tolerance rules it seems. Also Brian Boucher was injured during the shootout word is it wasn't pretty looking and he had to be helped off the ice.

So somewhat interesting results but pre-season is for getting used to lines and such so nothing big here in terms of how a team will perform in the reg season... but you never know. Sucks for Phoenix with Boucher injured. Hope it isn't serious.

Oh and Keith Tkachuk is suspended after failing his physical. Also the Bruins re-signed Andrew Raycroft but don't know for how much.

Edited by CKN

Talking to a Canes fan I know, GYS knows him too but anyway, he was at the game and said that the game was off the hook. The red line elimination, in his eyes, made for some crazy chances including one where a guy got a breakaway from getting out of the box, taking a behind the blueline to just before the blueline pass, and barly getting stopped on the ensuing breakaway. Same person also said that the pace was quick, that the calls were pretty tight, and that there weren't that many stoppages now that the two line offside is out and people can make the big open ice pass.

For the score discrepency/amount, he also said that Washington fielded a team that, I believe he said, would be a "barely passable AHL team" outside the preseason, so yeah.

Talking to a Canes fan I know, GYS knows him too but anyway, he was at the game and said that the game was off the hook. The red line elimination, in his eyes, made for some crazy chances including one where a guy got a breakaway from getting out of the box, taking a behind the blueline to just before the blueline pass, and barly getting stopped on the ensuing breakaway. Same person also said that the pace was quick, that the calls were pretty tight, and that there weren't that many stoppages now that the two line offside is out and people can make the big open ice pass.

For the score discrepency/amount, he also said that Washington fielded a team that, I believe he said, would be a "barely passable AHL team" outside the preseason, so yeah.

The promise of more scoring is really showing in the pre-season so far after tonight.

Philadelphia wins 8-6 against Atlanta after they lead going into 6-2. 6 goals in the third damn that is a lot sounds exciting though.

Chicago wins 5-4 against Calgary. Haven't read anything about this game. But I believe Iginla and a bunch of other people were playing this game unlike the one against Edmonton. Maybe Khabibulan can make Chicago a cup contender.

Other Games:

Washington is tied with Buffalo 2-2 in the third.

Minnesota is beating Phoenix 3-0 currently in the second.

Colorado is beating Dallas 1-0 at the end of the first.

And the Anaheim @ Los Angeles game starts at 10:30pm est.

I know it is just pre-season but I am really excited for the NHL reg. season after reading about the pre-season games so far.

Philadelphia wins 8-6 against Atlanta after they lead going into 6-2. 6 goals in the third damn that is a lot sounds exciting though.

That's nuts. Who were the goalies?

As far as Ovechkin vs Crosby, I did say before that Ovechkin would have the better year, and I still believe that... but I think it will be a lot closer then before. I think Ovechkin is the more well rounded player and he has one year of maturation on Crosby... not mentioning that Ovechkin played in the RSL. Now, the RSL is normally a better level of hockey then the CHL because the players are older, grittier, and work almost as hard, but lets face it... the QMJHL is the remedial division of the CHL, and last year the RSL was packed moreso then ever with NHL level players, and Ovechkin showed no signs of being lost. You're basically talking about the difference between taking a kid out of high school at 19 or a kid out of college at 20... and as shown by Dany Heatly, kids coming out of college can make an immediate impact, and the RSL is several notches up from the NCAA...

There are two things that might make it close though... Crosby actually has a supporting cast. If you look at Washington Ovechkin has absolutely no help... the only guy on the team with any offensive ability whatsoever is Halpern, now that it looks like Bondra has moved on. It's going to be rough for him to make every single goal singlehandedly, but he will try... Crosby, though, look at the players that Pittsburgh added, sure, they're mostly not fucking stud quality UFAs, but they are a good core of guys to nurture a young kid into the NHL... the other is Aleksander's habit of getting hurt. He's kinda like an Eric Lindros style player... he takes himself out of position to make a big hit and ends up suffering for it more then anyone else, which if he doesn't work on will make him a defensive liability and shorten his career. Also, getting KTFOed by Sid The Kid at the WJHC's was fucking sad.