The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is my round 1 playoff predictions some of them have explanations.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton

- I choose Edmonton for a huge upset for some reason I just see Detroit in an early exit... or maybe I am crazy.

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado

- Only thing that makes me want to pick Colorado is Turco's play in previous playoffs.

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim

- I cheer Phaneuf... that's my reasoning behind this choice.

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose

- With Vokoun out Thorton and Cheechoo will take advantage of Mason.

Eastern Conference

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay

- Ottawa is 4-0-0 against Tampa Bay this season and TB's goaltending isn't good at all.

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers

- Tough choice. Brodeur has been amazing in New Jerseys last games but I think Jagr and Lundqvist can take New Jersey.

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia

So post your round 1 playoff predictions.

Prediction time ladies...

Western Conference

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Eastern Conference

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Game dates TBA

Western Conference

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton (4 games to 3)

I don't think Edmonton is going to roll over and get squashed, because the team does have talent, but you can't ever bet against Detroit. Unless they suffer some injuries in goal or start hitting a cold streak, Detroit will go to round 2. Dwayne Roloson, if he plays well, can help determine how much fight Edmonton will give the Wings.

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado (4 games to 1)

Colorado's goaltending is a question mark for me. Dallas is pretty solid all around, while Colorado has definitly lost there depth and it shows in the records. I'm choosing Dallas. This one wont be as close as the Edmonton series unless Joe Sakic can really bring it.

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim (4 games to 1)

I am again picking the higher seed. Mikka Kiprusoff has been playing well, and the whole team has started to pick up there play. Calgary's defence is strong and if they can score, they will win. Anaheim's playoff lives depend on two people - J.S Giguere and Scott Neidemayer. I don't think even those two playing well can lead Anaheim to win.

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose (4 games to 0)

Toughest choice. Nashville played amazing at the start of the season, but I don't think they kept up the firey pace all year, kind of like Buffalo. Without Tomas Vokoun in goal, I see Joe Thornton and Jonathan Cheechoo continuing to play strong and chewing up Nashville. I see Nashville playing strong next season, but not now.

Eastern Conference

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay (4 games to 2)

I hate Ottawa, but they played strong all year. This prediction is made on the assumption Hasek won't play - Ray Emery has definitly shown up to the task of starting in goal. Ottawa's managment must be thrilled with him. I don't see Ottawa destroying Tampa though, because Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards will play really strong and keep the series thrilling at least.

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal (4 games to 3)

I think if Montreal had Cristobel Huet since day one as the starter, they would be much higher then 7th. If Huet starts, I see Montreal winning the series. So many players on the team are just hitting there stride now. Carolina has proven in the past to be bitches to play in the playoffs, though, so you cannot write them off. Especially since the team is so strong this season.

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers (4 games to 3)

I'm picking the Rangers. New Jersey's defence still isn't as strong as it was, and considering that both teams have excellent goaltending, this game could become a shootout. And we all know who wins shootouts. Jaromir Jagr. Well, they do have other scorers. Prucha and Sykora can score too. I'm saying it's going to close however, as you can never go against a team like New Jersey.

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia (4 games to 2)

This is going to be the more brutal series of them all. I think, however, that Buffalo's speed and youth will be able to win the day. Plus, I think Ryan Miller and Martin Biron are both better then Niittymaki and Esche. I do have a dream though, that Donald Brashear will hurt Andrew Peters really badly.

EDIT - Crosby getting 100 points is great. I think teams played him much more physically then Ovechkin, knowing he couldn't respond. Crosby still managed to have a steller rookie season, it's too bad he is overshadowed by Ovechkin. I wouldn't be surprised if, somewhere down the line, Ovechkin wins the "Rocket" Richard Trophy while Crosby wins the Art Ross. Crosby, I believe, is overall a better playmaker (like Joe Thornton almost) while Ovechkin brings the pure scoring talent like Pavel Bure when he played at his best. These two are going to be amazing, that's for certain.

Edited by desiredtoe

First Thing's First:

Who are you most surprised made it into the playoffs?

San Jose, didn't think Thornton would take the team and shove it in there but he did. Mad Props.

Which team that didn't make it should have?

Florida Panthers. They played great at the end of the second half. Jokinen and Niedermayer played determined and so did Luongo. It's a damn shame.

Who do you think will win the Stanley Cup?

I'm a very biased person so in conclusion, there's some unfinished business on the Red Mile. The Calgary Flames.

And Now...

WEST:

Detroit 4 - Edmonton 2

Edmonton just seems to get the bad luck of the draw, everytime they make the playoffs.

Dallas 3 - Colorado 4

This matchup seems more like an Western Conference Final but oh well... I'll go with Colorado with the main fact, that they got Theodore in net. Theodore reminds me of Roy.

Calgary 4 - Anaheim 2

Kipper Baby! He will lead them to the finals. Good year by the Ducks though.

Nashville 2 - San Jose 4

With Vokoun out. It's easy picking s for the deadly line of Thornton and Cheechoo.

EAST:

Ottawa 3 - Tampa Bay 4

UPSET! "To be the champs, you gotta beat the champs" and the Sens have sort of a curse going on.

Carolina 1 - Montreal 4

Weak goaltending will kill the Cane's chances.

New Jersey 2 - New York 4

NJ's the hottest team going into the playoffs but the Rangers got you know... JAGR. I expect a lot of overtimes in this one.

Buffalo 4 - Philly Flyers 2

Buffalo's a dark horse and the defense of Philly seems a bit off so I'm picking the Sabres.

Once again, LIGHTNING OVER SENS

Where the hell did Detroit come from? I stop looking for a season and they're tops in the west?

Anyways, don't see Edmonton getting the upset (although it won't surprise me, I just don't think it'll happen)

Just not a big fan of Colorado.

Gotta pick an upset at some point, right?

This looks like a really good series, and one I certainly didn't pick back in October.

Eastern Conference

Tampa just barely snuck in the playoffs, they were just a point or two away from being 10th in the East. Don't see them ruining Ottawa's run this year.

Carolina's just been downright nasty.

Speaking of nasty, the Rangers have been hot lately, even though they lost the run for the division crown.

Well, with Toronto out, I can only hope that the hometown team can take care of the Flyers. Because I hate the Flyers.

Here are my picks:

Western Conference

I'd love to see the Oilers take the upset, but Detroit won't steamroll tehm like some people are predicting. The Wings will take it either in game 6 or game 7

-What a year they're having.

Eastern Conference

-But I really would love to see the Habs somehow take it in 7.

-This one's going to game 7.

-I can't believe I'm cheering for the Flyers :o At least they have some class. I want Flyers to take it to 4, but thats very unlikely.

Guest Grapehead

Which team that didn't make it should have?

Florida Panthers. They played great at the end of the second half. Jokinen and Niedermayer played determined and so did Luongo. It's a damn shame.

Ottawa 3 - Tampa Bay 4

UPSET! "To be the champs, you gotta beat the champs" and the Sens have sort of a curse going on.

Once again, LIGHTNING OVER SENS

Edited by Grapehead

WEST:

(1)Detroit - (8)Edmonton

No doubt about it. Edmonton takes win, maybe two, Datsyuk and others will do what it needs.

(2)Dallas - (7)Colorado

I think Theodore might come from the shadows and take Avalanche through this. No shoot out competition, no wins for Dallas ;)

(3)Calgary - (6)Anaheim

This one is tough. I'd like to see Anaheim win but I think that Kipper keeps going and Calgary wins the series.

(4)Nashville - (5)San Jose

This is gonna be great hockey.

But I have two words: Cheechoo and Thornton (Y)

EAST:

(1)Ottawa - (8)Tampa Bay

(2)Carolina - (7)Montreal

(3)New Jersey - (6)New York

(4)Buffalo - (5)Flyers

In all four, anything can happen... Tough series, 4-2 or 4-3 goes to all.

I think John Ferguson did the best thing he could do. There werent too many people to sign, considering how much Toronto's salary cap was already eaten up. He took a gamble to try and help the team at least compete this year. Next year actually looks much brighter already, and we haven't made any moves in free agency yet.

EDIT - Actually, there were plenty of players to sign, but we would have had to dump players to get them. I still like Ferguson taking the chance on Allison, Lindros and Khavanov with one year deals. Allison played well, but the other two didn't and it doesn't look like any of them will be Maple Leafs next year. Allison is probably going somewhere else, while I could see Lindros as done.

Edited by desiredtoe

Western Conference:

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton (In Five Games)

I just think Detroit is going to be too strong for the Oilers. The Red Wings are good all around and I think they'll go deep this year. I do see Edmonton pulling off a game in OT perhaps and i'm always pulling for the Canadian team but I can't see them getting any farther this year.

(2) Dallas vs. (7) Colorado (In Six Games)

I see Dallas going deep this year aswell. The Avs will put up a fight like they usually do but I think The Stars are just going to out play them. Plus I'm still not sure Jose Theodore will be able to lead Colorado to a length playoff run.

(3) Calgary vs. (6) Anaheim (In Six Games)

Mikka is going to carry this team on his back, the guy is a workhorse. Anaheim will be solid but not good enough to beat Calgary.

(4) Nashville vs. (5) San Jose (In Seven Games)

This is probably going to be the most exciting series of the first round. Two well matches teams but Cheechoo + Thornton = Winners.

Eastern Conference:

(1) Ottawa vs. (8) Tampa Bay (In Six Games)

The Sens will be fine without Hasek for the time being. Emery will be alright but TB will steal two at home before Ottawa finishes the job.

(2) Carolina vs. (7) Montreal (In Six Games)

Carolina's going to come through in this one but the Habs are a thorn in everyone's side come playoff time (Boston i'm looking at you). I see this one being alot of fun.

(3) New Jersey vs. (6) NY Rangers (In Seven Games)

My Devils managed to capture the division title but I'm sure NY is going to want some revenge. Hopefully Brodeur can put them on their back and lead them to another Stanley Cup. Oh and it's going to be a long drawn out series.

(4) Buffalo vs. (5) Philadelphia (In Six Games)

Well I hate both teams, Philly more so but I have a feeling that they'll pull a great series out of their ass and take this one. Buffalo isn't going to let up, but will eventually fall.

I agree that Pat Quinn had to go (not necessarily for this year alone), but John Ferguson is a dick for rushing this decision. They could have showed some restraint and not make it seem like such a obvious decision, but I have a feeling that this is Fergie trying to distance himself from his own mess. Quinn ain't a great coach anymore, but he can only work with what you give him. Ferguson was out of touch with the new NHL, and he should take at least equal heat for the way this season turned out.