The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

I enjoyed the game and I have no problem with Carolina winning the cup. Sure it would have been nice to see the Oilers win but Carolina played their hearts out this season and deserve the cup. Whether it was Ward or Pisani I would have been happy with the Conn Smythe going to one of these two.

So with all that said it was a fun and exciting season. Bring on the Draft.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So some rumours I have been hearing to do with the draft are...

- Carolina will trade Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh for their first round pick (2nd overall) so that Carolina can draft Jordan Staal.

- St. Louis will trade their first round pick for Minnesota's two first round picks so Minnesota can draft Johnson and St. Louis can draft Okposo (sp?)

- Ottawa will trade their first round pick and Martin Havlat for Roberto Luongo (part of me wants to see this happen the other part doesn't)

those are just a few rumours.

I could maybe, MAYBE see the Ottawa deal there. But both teams would need some sort of assurance that the other guy would sign with the team they are traded to.

I don't see Pittsburgh missing a shot at Jordan Staal, and I don't even understand why St. Louis would trade there first like that.

The Leafs obviousily. 40 year anniversary. :ohwell:

Possible. New York finally saw a Cup on its 40 year anniversary. Of course it was a different New York team hoisting it. But by that, then yes, the city of Toronto (or maybe province of Ontario, since the Islanders really share a state and not a city with the Rangers) will celebrate its 40 year anniversary and win the Cup also.

That wacky theory only applies in hockey I suppose, as in other sports it has proven to be untrue.

It could be the city of Ottawa's turn though. 80 year anniversary next year... though they didn't have a team for most of those years.

Edited by damshow

I will. As soon as I saw that McCabe was signed while watching Sportscentre, I ran downstairs to my brothers room and yelled to him "THE LEAFS ARE WINNING THE CUP! WOOOOOO!".

Actually, from what I saw from the Leafs this season, I think that we saw a team that didn't need to be completely torn apart and rebuilt. We have a bunch of young prospects (2 cracked the line-up full time last year) and with the right tactics, we were extremely good. Just see the last quarter of the season, when we had tons of injuries but managed to get 20 goals from Ponikarovsky and some amazing play from Mats Sundin.

Paul Maurice should be able to get a lot more out of Jeff O'Neill then Quinn, and hopefully Maurice learns from the end of this season what to do.

We have some problems. Tie Domi is currently eating 1.2 million, and he doesn't do all that much anymore. Belfour will get that much if we DON'T sign him, but that still seems like he will be gone. We need another #1 goaltender (I say we target Martin Biron in Buffalo). But, I think next season we will at least make the playoffs, and if we make a few moves we could be cup contenders. Adding someone like Elias for Sundin to work with, or grabbing some guys for better depth.

If we can keep our great powerplay and just play a little better even strength, we are golden.

Edited by desiredtoe

Who would have thought I'd jump to the Oiler Bandwagon this year? I did predict at the beginning for the Hurricanes to win it all, and congrats to them. Hopefully next year, the cup will come to a Canadian team, with Toronto on the very top of the list, and Ottawa at the bottom :P I'm also excited to see what Paul Maurice will do to shake up the team.

I could maybe, MAYBE see the Ottawa deal there. But both teams would need some sort of assurance that the other guy would sign with the team they are traded to.

I don't see Pittsburgh missing a shot at Jordan Staal, and I don't even understand why St. Louis would trade there first like that.

I'm sure any of those guys could easily adjust to the wings.

I want to see Ottawa in the off-season. I remember how much pressure ownership put on everyone to succeed, so I wonder what is going to happen to them now. I hope they don't go out and dismantle there team, because I think they just were unlucky. The whole Hasek thing was a distraction, and I am really certain that these Senators can do better. I hope they find a way to keep Chara and Redden at least.

I'm sure any of those guys could easily adjust to the wings.

I want to see Ottawa in the off-season. I remember how much pressure ownership put on everyone to succeed, so I wonder what is going to happen to them now. I hope they don't go out and dismantle there team, because I think they just were unlucky. The whole Hasek thing was a distraction, and I am really certain that these Senators can do better. I hope they find a way to keep Chara and Redden at least.

If Ottawa doesn't keep Spezza, then we should go and find Muckler and kick him in the nuts. I know why he kept Hasek, it goes back to his Buffalo days. And if Hasek stays healthy, then great. But I would be pissed if that signing keeps money away from Spezza.

Oh, and if Hasek returns, I would want a 50/50 split of the games between him and Emery, because Emery has proven to be the goods. He could start for the Senators.

Guest Grapehead

I don't see any guys in Ottawa that wouldn't take a little less just to stick with Ottawa. I don't know, it just seems like in any interview every, they all seem so damned happy to be there. It would suck to be apart of this team that looks so good on paper, have them lose and then bail, only to have to win the cup as soon as you leave.

PS - Is this Ottawa Senators franchise the same that won the 4 cups in the 20's, or was it a different franchise in the same city(ala Minnesota North Stars/Wild)

Edited by Grapehead

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I'm surprised you don't know this, but the original Senators folded way back in the 30s (I think), and the modern ones were brought in as an expansion team in 1992

Guest Grapehead

I'm surprised you don't know this, but the original Senators folded way back in the 30s (I think), and the modern ones were brought in as an expansion team in 1992

I'm interested to see what happens with the Oilers. ELEVEN free agents (Peca, Pisani, Roloson, Laraque, Dvorak, Tarnstrom, Spacek, Samsonov, Ulanov, Murray, Harvey).

It's obvious Roloson will re-sign, but I can see a lot of teams offering him deals after the playoffs, and if Pisani doesn't Lowe needs to check himself. I'd like to see Laraque, Spacek and Dvorak stay, but aside from that, I wouldn't mind seeing what Lowe can do by playing the field. It's pretty much a given Peca is leaving. Samsonov apparantly has a lot of interest coming from Detroit, but he came in as a loaner for the playoffs anyways.

They've also got a lot of young talent that's coming up too, which should be cool to see develop. As long as they have Roli, Pronger, Smith, Smyth, Horcoff, Moreau and Hemsky, I think they can build pretty solid around that.

Edited by EndOfAnEra