Tommy Lee: Tommyland

Gene Kiniski

What do Motley Crue and the Backstreet Boys have in common? Tommy Lee. If the comparison of the two bands turns you away, wait, it’s not what you’re thinking. Tommy Lee of Motley Crue is back with his very own solo album, Tommyland, and it’s worth the entire $9.99 you’ll pay for it. Tommy takes his career to a new level with this raw alternative collection of songs.

Not only does Lee capture attention with the emotional “Goodtimes”, the first single from the album, but he’ll have you laughing while listening to “Tired” with lyrics such as “Tommy got tired of Pamela” and “Puffy got tired of J’Lo”. Every track is unique and filled with well written lyrics that will stick in your head for days at a time. All twelve tracks, in total, are worth the listen.

With guest appearances, on vocals, by:

Andrew McMahon,

Butch Walker,

Joel Madden,

Harry,

Phil X,

Matt Sorum,

and Nick Carter,

and guitarist:

Dave Navarro,

Chad Kroeger,

Deryck Whibley,

Butch Walker,

Carl Bell,

Nick Lashey,

Billy Morrison,

Phil X,

Bobby “Raw” Anderson,

Timmy Dawson,

Paul Ignasinski,

Scotty Humphry,

and Benji Madden,

this entire album will have you listening over and over. Easily one of the best albums of the year. Lee shows an entire other side of the 80’s rocker with a sound that most wouldn’t see coming, however, don’t expect a metal album as this is a pure alternative sound that will attract rock, country, and alternative fans alike.

***3/4 out of 5 (edging closer to ***** with each listen)

-Michael Frazier

Ahhh, Tommy Lee. Funny story.

Tommy Lee actually could not get any record labels to release "Tommyland", because of his last album flopping, so he went to the Handleman company. For those of you who don't know, Handleman is the company that puts out and cleans up the CDs at Wal-Marts (and sometimes other stores). Anyway, Tommy Lee was all like "I will give you a CD slip cover with artwork that I designed since you guys are releasing my album", so Wal-Mart was given the Tommy Lee album with exclusive artwork. Literally 1 hour before the CD was supposed to go on the shelf, every Wal-Mart store was called and told "DON'T PUT IT OUT!" Some people still did, so a few people got it, but they pushed his album sales back at Wal-Mart to Friday. What was on this drawing you ask? Why, it was several naked women coming flying out of Tommy Lee's crotch, that's what. I saw the pictures, and there is tons of groping and sexual stuff, and Handleman threw a fit.

So, if you want to see if your Wal-Mart has the version with the picture, you can tell very easily. On the Tommy Lee albums that have the word "EDITED" written under the price, they are not the right ones. If you find one at Wal-Mart that doesn't have the word "EDITED" written under it, grab it quick, because we aren't even supposed to be selling them, and they may become collector's edition.

Edited by B-Rad

Ahhh, Tommy Lee.  Funny story.

Tommy Lee actually could not get any record labels to release "Tommyland", because of his last album flopping, so he went to the Handleman company.  For those of you who don't know, Handleman is the company that puts out and cleans up the CDs at Wal-Marts (and sometimes other stores).  Anyway, Tommy Lee was all like "I will give you a CD slip cover with artwork that I designed since you guys are releasing my album", so Wal-Mart was given the Tommy Lee album with exclusive artwork.  Literally 1 hour before the CD was supposed to go on the shelf, every Wal-Mart store was called and told "DON'T PUT IT OUT!"  Some people still did, so a few people got it, but they pushed his album sales back at Wal-Mart to Friday.  What was on this drawing you ask?  Why, it was several naked women coming flying out of Tommy Lee's crotch, that's what.  I saw the pictures, and there is tons of groping and sexual stuff, and Handleman threw a fit.

So, if you want to see if your Wal-Mart has the version with the picture, you can tell very easily.  On the Tommy Lee albums that have the word "EDITED" written under the price, they are not the right ones.  If you find one at Wal-Mart that doesn't have the word "EDITED" written under it, grab it quick, because we aren't even supposed to be selling them, and they may become collector's edition.