WBC Dead

The World Boxing Council will cease operations on 14th June. It will file for bankruptcy and be liquidiated.

The WBC was forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2003 after a New York jury awarded Graciano Rocchigiani $31 million dollars based on his allegation that the WBC stripped him of his world title. The WBC had hoped to persuade the Court and the jury that it was not liable and not responsible for the harm Mr. Rocchigiani alleged. Sadly, and despite a vigorous defense, the WBC did not prevail.

VK, Wayne Braithewaite, Bernard Hopkins, Ron Wright, Tarver, Tyszu, Spinks, Mayweather, Morales and Wongjongkam are all WBC champions at this time, and will lose their belts.

The organization has been around since 1963 and is pretty much the biggest group right now. This leaves the IBF, WBA and WBO as the remaining 'recognized' bodies. I've got to say that I hope that we see at least one more of them go soon. Every organization killed is a step towards boxing meaning something.

The WBO is considered a recognized body? Are their belts also recognized as legit world titles as well, because I've never seen them listed as such anywhere.

What is and isn't a 'legit world title' is highly subjective. With the huge numbers of groups out there offering titles, what makes a belt legit? WBC were one of the most reliable and respected 'alphabet' groups, and, yes, their titles were held in pretty high esteem. Some prefer to talk about independent rankings like Ring Magazine or Boxrec.com, but the former is shitty now, and the second is often unreliable.

Must be if Bernard Hopkins and Vitali Klitchko have two of the titles.I didn't realise VK held the WBO title, though.I thought he had WBA

The WBA champ is John Ruiz.

EDIT: This situation is particulalry stupid when you consider that if, at any time, a champ becomes too big of a name, another 'world' belt is introduced. At the moment, the WBA has two world champs in several weight divisions.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit